E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Replacing Exhaust Manifold

09-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Cdothaze01
Rep
Drives: E92 aw

Replacing Exhaust Manifold

I just recently swapped out my N51 for a N52, everything went fine, except now I also need to change out my exhaust manifold because its clogged. The part I'm replacing is 18407563738 . I was able to get one from Magnaflow for $750. I would like to know if its necessary that I remove the entire exhaust just to replace the manifold? I was able to remove the hex nut(7) from the the bottom of the manifold piping. Shouldn't I be able to just unscrew the nuts holding the header in place and pull the manifold up from the top of the car?

I'm also having issues getting the hex screw out of the the collar, Im not sure if I'm supposed hammer it out or what. The head of the screw looks rounds. It is definitely rusted. I had to use pb blaster just to unscrew the nut of the bolt.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Pics of the Magnaflow part - i made a post about it last year ago
Idea is that maganflow will flow better than original OEM, maybe because it is new.

People install headers without removign exhaust, you shoudl be okay, follow any e82 or 9x header isntall diy. There is one diy with Superprint headers

All manifolds are pulled from under the car.... not from top.

I hope you find tips on how to get those stubborn bolts.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

hex screw?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Cdothaze01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
hex screw?
Part (5)

Quote:
Pics of the Magnaflow part - i made a post about it last year ago
Idea is that maganflow will flow better than original OEM, maybe because it is new.
I'll post side by side comparison as soon as I get the header down.

On a side note, while comparing n51 to n52 pics, I noticed the lack of a emission control air-pump. In fact, on the n52, the port for the valve(8) is covered when I had my n52 installed, they kept the emission control air-pump. My question is, do I need it? If not, can I remove it without having any errors thrown?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdothaze01 View Post
Part (5)

I'll post side by side comparison as soon as I get the header down.

On a side note, while comparing n51 to n52 pics, I noticed the lack of a emission control air-pump. In fact, on the n52, the port for the valve(8) is covered when I had my n52 installed, they kept the emission control air-pump. My question is, do I need it? If not, can I remove it without having any errors thrown?
You do not "need" the secondary air pump for an n52b30 but you may want to ask the shop why they kept it. If you managed to use the same DME that controlled your n51 you may still have to comply to the same emissions perimeters. Every BMW I've dealt with with a bad secondary air pump has had a check engine light that obviously kept it from passing inspection.
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Also to answer your question about whether or not you can remove an exhaust manifold without removing the exhaust, I'd recommend that you go ahead and pull it off the car. I failed miserably when I tried to knock the bolts out of the flanges on the manifolds, and I had them off the car when I tried to do that. I think the problem is that the exhaust manifolds see such drastic temperature changes that they eventually become very hard to remove. The exhaust takes maybe 5 minutes to drop, and 10 to hang.
Also be sure that you change the ring gaskets on the manifold so you don't end up with an exhaust leak at the head. You can also replace the studs and copper hex nuts if you'd like, but when I installed my race headers I had no issues with reusing them... And they've been on and off the car a total of probably 5 times now.
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR1994 View Post
Also to answer your question about whether or not you can remove an exhaust manifold without removing the exhaust, I'd recommend that you go ahead and pull it off the car. I failed miserably when I tried to knock the bolts out of the flanges on the manifolds, and I had them off the car when I tried to do that. I think the problem is that the exhaust manifolds see such drastic temperature changes that they eventually become very hard to remove. The exhaust takes maybe 5 minutes to drop, and 10 to hang.
Also be sure that you change the ring gaskets on the manifold so you don't end up with an exhaust leak at the head. You can also replace the studs and copper hex nuts if you'd like, but when I installed my race headers I had no issues with reusing them... And they've been on and off the car a total of probably 5 times now.
The replacement part BMW gave me for the screws is not even the same as the OEM ones on the car. It was a standard run of the mill bolt. The OEM ones seem to be some sort of pressure fit. If your magnaflow ones don't have bolts, it would be best to just get some quality bolts with a relatively short head because there isn't much space to get sockets in there on one side.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Cdothaze01
Rep

Quote:
The replacement part BMW gave me for the screws is not even the same as the OEM ones on the car. It was a standard run of the mill bolt. The OEM ones seem to be some sort of pressure fit. If your magnaflow ones don't have bolts, it would be best to just get some quality bolts with a relatively short head because there isn't much space to get sockets in there on one side.
Here's the pic of the magnaflow 49762, as you can see the bend is different. According to my mechanic, it bangs against the frame where the second 02 sensor is. It doesn't follow the curve of the midsection pipe it's connecting to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here's the pic of the magnaflow 49762, as you can see the bend is different. According to my mechanic, it bangs against the frame where the second 02 sensor is. It doesn't follow the curve of the midsection pipe it's connecting to.
Sorry to hear about that. It looks like some extreme bends and the piping doesn't look equal length. I am not sure what your mechanic is saying about it hitting the frame. I don't think that is possible. It may be hitting the transmission housing. I believe that is a strong possibility. I am sure Magnaflow would return it if that is the case but unfortunately, that doesn't solve your problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Cdothaze01
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that. It looks like some extreme bends and the piping doesn't look equal length. I am not sure what your mechanic is saying about it hitting the frame. I don't think that is possible. It may be hitting the transmission housing. I believe that is a strong possibility. I am sure Magnaflow would return it if that is the case but unfortunately, that doesn't solve your problem.
I see that you offer catless headers, is there anyway I can emissions with your headers and stock secondary cats? Also what's the turnover time after payment.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I see that you offer catless headers, is there anyway I can emissions with your headers and stock secondary cats? Also what's the turnover time after payment.
I was going to offer but I couldn't get a clear understanding for the emissions requirements in NY. One member in NY just bought a set. He thinks he can get it to clear with the BMS downpipe fix. I know AA will get you a ready reading with all but one system which allows for a pass in most places. You'd need to get their tune though. Vishnu is hopefully putting out the tablet for our cars which would allow us to code out the error ourselves.

Do your research and message me if you need a set. I know you are in a bind. I can do 3 day shipping and in most cases get it out next day.
Appreciate 0