E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Grinding noise from 2011 320d

10-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
r900pjc
Registered

Drives: e91 tourer m sport 2012

Thanks for this post, I'm having the exact same problem. The main dealer replaced the rear diff, that has not worked. I'll have it in again on Monday. I'll use this post to explain the problem.
I have had to play my stereo to cover that horrible sound around town.
      10-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
Shaun_1990

Drives: 320D sport plus touring

Sorry to comment on what I expect to be abit of a dead thread, I was having similar issue & maybe could advise if could be same thing.

My 320d has done 64k miles on 11 reg, have the same form of noise, but makes no difference if it's cold or warm and sometimes really does depend (not all the time) that it does it, took it to a local Indy (hind health bmw) he had up in the air and set everything seems fine the only thing he spotted was a slight lip on the passenger inner disc (as noise is coming from passenger side as much as I can try to pin point) when he took for test drive could notice nothing at all & neither can my better half.

Do you think this is a decent diagnosis or could this be what you had with regard to gearbox issue? Gears are smooth and noise is same hot/cold, obc says 12k till front pads but I am guessing the discs are original ?

Sorry if this is also seen as thread jacking but ideas if the guy is right would be great as he seems really clued up. So do you guys on here.

Shaun
      10-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #25
CTR_Paul

Drives: 320d Sport Plus

Shaun_1990, that's not sounding like the noise I had from your description I don't think. The gearbox noise in my car was like someone grinding a Mortar and Pestle in the centre console. It wasn't that loud, but it was easy enough for colleagues and my wife to hear when the stereo wasn't on. Even having a fairly low volume on the stereo, or the windows partially open was enough to not hear the noise.

IIRC the noise in my car was diagnosed by someone directly recording the gearbox noise, this was then sent by my local dealer to BMW, who in turn approved the gearbox replacement.

I've no idea what caused the noise in my cars gearbox, as I do genuinely drive the car pretty softly. I can only guess that the damage to it was caused in it's initial use as a demo car for the dealership, and it took a while for the noise to manifest itself.

Last edited by CTR_Paul; 10-27-2014 at 04:52 AM.
      10-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #26
Shaun_1990

Drives: 320D sport plus touring

Thank you for the reply & helpful answer!

It is a kind of grinding noise but this could also be disc related I guess, however its very slight, radio on can not hear & does not sound as if its inside the car all be it sounding central (propshaft area) at times, think i'll invest in new discs first once I find somewhere to pick them up.

Shaun