E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #1211
still in school
Private First Class
1
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (3)

On my way home from work today, I first noticed that my boost was barely building. The throttle was not normal and the car would not accelerate like usual. I then proceed to give it about 80% throttle and boost would build but quickly drop and build again. I decided that it would be best to leave it alone and just cruise the rest of the way home. About 15 miles later, I get a complete loss of power. I had to coast off into the shoulder, which is pretty scary to say the least. As my car was coming to a complete stop, the yellow coolant light lit up. I pulled out my phone to call for a tow truck but decided to turn the car off and back on as a last hope. What do you know, car started right up without any hiccups and boost/throttle response was back to normal. No light or CEL either, maybe from the JB4's autoclear?

-4 months ago, BMW replaced my HPFP with 13517616446, could it have possibly gone bad this soon?
-I have gotten the half engine light before (twice)
-Took it to BMW but they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't pull any codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #1212
sx33
Private
Sweden
2
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: E92 335i -11
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Is it time for HPFP replacement when this sound occours? I've got an appointment in 1,5 week so I have some time investigating on my own.
anyone else had/heard this sound before?



Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #1213
ArizSun21
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I did not want to read 55 pages to get an answer so I will ask the question:
How much does the dealer charge to replace the HPFP?
I have 152k miles and I am still on the original pump.

Thanks,

Chris
__________________

'08 335i - Alpine White/Black • H&R Sport • 18% Tint • PROcede V5 • PWM Meth • DCI • • • • 02' Spa Yellow/Black Acura NSX
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #1214
enu
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: '11 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizSun21 View Post
I did not want to read 55 pages to get an answer so I will ask the question:
How much does the dealer charge to replace the HPFP?
I have 152k miles and I am still on the original pump.

Thanks,

Chris
I just had the HPFP fail on my 2011 335i (super low miles too, under 20K). I find it pretty ridiculous that BMW did not extend the HPFP 10-year warranty to N55 based vehicles, since they share the exact same HPFP part as the N54s.

Dealer quote to replace the HPFP was ~$970. I did check local independent BMW shops, and they ranged from $600 - $800. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #1215
ArizSun21
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Went to an independent mechanic familiar with BMW N54 motors and they said it looks like an injector and intake cleaning issue instead of the HPFP.
__________________

'08 335i - Alpine White/Black • H&R Sport • 18% Tint • PROcede V5 • PWM Meth • DCI • • • • 02' Spa Yellow/Black Acura NSX
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #1216
Dmoney
New Member
Dmoney's Avatar
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Monterey, Ca

iTrader: (0)

I was having start-up issues for the last couple of weeks and finally the CEL came on. Pulled the code and it was p3090. Took it to the dealership today and they are replacing the HPFP. Second one replaced, first at 59,000. This one at 88,000. Free under extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #1217
trevor557
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2010 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Eastern PA

iTrader: (0)

Having issues here too in my '10 n54. Dealer said all 6 cylinders having slight misfire, all 6 injectors need replacing, but no recalls. What gives? I shouldn't be replacing injectors out of pocket for something that has been a consistent issue over the lifeline of the n54 engine. I wonder if calling BMWNA would do anything... I just don't understand what I can do here. So frustrated. Dealer wants around $2500 for all 6 replaced including labor. Can't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #1218
onezoso
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Lawsuit and HPFP factory defect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
On my way home from work today, I first noticed that my boost was barely building. The throttle was not normal and the car would not accelerate like usual. I then proceed to give it about 80% throttle and boost would build but quickly drop and build again. I decided that it would be best to leave it alone and just cruise the rest of the way home. About 15 miles later, I get a complete loss of power. I had to coast off into the shoulder, which is pretty scary to say the least. As my car was coming to a complete stop, the yellow coolant light lit up. I pulled out my phone to call for a tow truck but decided to turn the car off and back on as a last hope. What do you know, car started right up without any hiccups and boost/throttle response was back to normal. No light or CEL either, maybe from the JB4's autoclear?

-4 months ago, BMW replaced my HPFP with 13517616446, could it have possibly gone bad this soon?
-I have gotten the half engine light before (twice)
-Took it to BMW but they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't pull any codes.
I had the 08 535i (n54) with the manufacture defective HPFP amd it would do that. Finally after the 4th time, I had enough proof to initiate a Lemon Law buy back on my car!

There has been a huge lawsuit going on for years now about the faulty pump and you can google and read about it online. BMW. has been quietly offering buy backs because of this class action lawsuit.

I was told by various sources to contact a law firm that deals in Lemon Laws (Im in California) and they will get the ball rolling on it.

I simply called BMWNA directly was very polite and professional, explained my problem and they offered to initiate the buy back process NO lawyers needed!!

I gotta hand it to BMW, within less than one month I was dropping off my car to the dealership and getting a check for the 35 grand I had already paid AND they paid of my remaining loan! So essentially I got to drive a BMW for almost three years FREE OF CHARGE! I walked away Scott free of the whole damn thing!

I used 25K of the 35k and put it down on a sweet CPO 2011 E90, 335i LCI (N55 of course) and love it! Although it too has the mushy feeling throttle response! (
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #1219
E92NYC
Private
United_States
0
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

I have a situation. My car sometimes take long cranks before it starts. Not all the time though. It usually happens during cold starts. I just got the car half a year ago and it has CPO warranty. My questions are:

My car doesnt have long cranks all the time. Is there a chance it could it be something else like a bad battery or a starter?

My car is 2011 with almost 60k miles. It is still under CPO warranty. If it is a bad fuel pump, will it covered under CPO?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #1220
jt335i
Lieutenant
jt335i's Avatar
26
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NYC View Post
I have a situation. My car sometimes take long cranks before it starts. Not all the time though. It usually happens during cold starts. I just got the car half a year ago and it has CPO warranty. My questions are:

My car doesnt have long cranks all the time. Is there a chance it could it be something else like a bad battery or a starter?

My car is 2011 with almost 60k miles. It is still under CPO warranty. If it is a bad fuel pump, will it covered under CPO?
That could most likely be a symptom related to the HPFP begnning to fail. Do you know if it was already replaced? You can check the BMW site if your car was part of the HPFP recall by going to the following link.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

You should be able to check the repair history with the dealer to see what was done or get a CarFax report.

The HPFP issue is a factory defect and therefore a mandatory recall so you should be able to have it replaced whether or not your car has a CPO warranty. There is a warranty for the replacement HPFP, but I don't remember exactly. I believe it's 10 yrs/120,000.

If it's not covered under the recall, that's a different story and you would need to check the deals of your CPO warranty to find out what it exactlly covers.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 06-26-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #1221
E92NYC
Private
United_States
0
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
That could most likely be a symptom related to the HPFP begnning to fail. Do you know if it was already replaced? You can check the BMW site if your car was part of the HPFP recall by going to the following link.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

You should be able to check the repair history with the dealer to see what was done or get a CarFax report.

The HPFP issue is a factory defect and therefore a mandatory recall so you should be able to have it replaced whether or not your car has a CPO warranty. There is a warranty for the replacement HPFP, but I don't remember exactly. I believe it's 10 yrs/120,000.

If it's not covered under the recall, that's a different story and you would need to check the deals of your CPO warranty to find out what it exactlly covers.
There are no open recalls for my vehicle. I thought the HPFP replacement warranty is only for the n54 motors, like the 07 and 08 models.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #1222
jt335i
Lieutenant
jt335i's Avatar
26
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NYC View Post
There are no open recalls for my vehicle. I thought the HPFP replacement warranty is only for the n54 motors, like the 07 and 08 models.
Yes. The HPFP replacement covered 335i model years 2007 - 2010.
Had it done on my 2010. Bought mine new, but didn't have any issues with the original and nor with the new replacement.

There were some early 2011 335s with the N55 having HPFP failures. See below link. What is the build date of yours?
Don't think it was as big as the N54 issue. I guess that's why there wasn't a big recall. However, if it starts to be more frequent, you should have it checked just to be sure.

http://http://www.e90post.com/forums...d.php?t=433273
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #1223
techwhiz
Colonel
techwhiz's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
2,064
Posts

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (3)

Car in for HPFP this morning.
I think it's #6 but it may only be #5.
Need to check my paperwork.

Part coming out and going in is #13517616170.
__________________
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters\CF Spoiler\Blacklines\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex EC7-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 and Nexus 7 -> is your friend.

Last edited by techwhiz; 07-15-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #1224
Lickalot
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

HPFP replaced but BMW said all cylinders misfired!

Hi guys, new here. My 2007 BMW 335i Convertible was having the HPFP replaced. But just when I was going to pick up my car, my service adviser told me the engine light came on while testing it. I was told there was multiple cylinders misfiring! And they will charge me $3000 to fix it, even though the HPFP was replaced for free as per warranty. Does anyone know if the BMW tech simply messed my car up? Because I had gone to a local mechanic before bringing to BMW because the local mechanic scanned and told me it was the HPFP. There were no other codes! Even BMW didn't get any other codes before they replaced the HPFP. And I know it would throw out codes for misfiring. I think the dealer service is trying to make money off me since they are not getting any money from me for the recall. Thanks for any input. I am also waiting for the detail diagnosis from dealer

Last edited by Lickalot; 07-16-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #1225
Lickalot
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enu View Post
I just had the HPFP fail on my 2011 335i (super low miles too, under 20K). I find it pretty ridiculous that BMW did not extend the HPFP 10-year warranty to N55 based vehicles, since they share the exact same HPFP part as the N54s.

Dealer quote to replace the HPFP was ~$970. I did check local independent BMW shops, and they ranged from $600 - $800. Hope this helps.
There were also reported repeat failures! It is just a poorly designed piece! I am wondering what happens when it failed the second time and is after the extended warranty? Shouldn't the new piece be warrant for another 120,000 miles? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #1226
Lickalot
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
That could most likely be a symptom related to the HPFP begnning to fail. Do you know if it was already replaced? You can check the BMW site if your car was part of the HPFP recall by going to the following link.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

You should be able to check the repair history with the dealer to see what was done or get a CarFax report.

The HPFP issue is a factory defect and therefore a mandatory recall so you should be able to have it replaced whether or not your car has a CPO warranty. There is a warranty for the replacement HPFP, but I don't remember exactly. I believe it's 10 yrs/120,000.

If it's not covered under the recall, that's a different story and you would need to check the deals of your CPO warranty to find out what it exactlly covers.
I think the car doesn't have to be on a recall. Since the part has an extended warranty so it should qualify providing there is proof. BMW was being slick on this one as not all HPFP between 2007 to 2009 would fail, and the part is expensive, they won't fix it until it is actually broken! That's why the extended warranty! In my case, my car was not on a recall, but since I knew the part is covered, therefore I had my local mechanic scanned it and got the code. I took the car into BMW and have them scan again and confirmed. Replacement and even the diagnostic were free! Unfortunately in my case, BMW said all my cylinders were misfiring and would charge me $3000 to fix them. But that's another story!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #1227
Lickalot
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor557 View Post
Having issues here too in my '10 n54. Dealer said all 6 cylinders having slight misfire, all 6 injectors need replacing, but no recalls. What gives? I shouldn't be replacing injectors out of pocket for something that has been a consistent issue over the lifeline of the n54 engine. I wonder if calling BMWNA would do anything... I just don't understand what I can do here. So frustrated. Dealer wants around $2500 for all 6 replaced including labor. Can't believe it.
OMG that is exactly what I am going through now! They told me after replacing the HPFP, they test drove the car and the engine light came on. Then told me there was multiple cylinders misfiring! They told me the price of $3000. WTF! Tell me what happened in your case? I am dealing with this issue right now! OMG
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #1228
jt335i
Lieutenant
jt335i's Avatar
26
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickalot View Post
I think the car doesn't have to be on a recall. Since the part has an extended warranty so it should qualify providing there is proof. BMW was being slick on this one as not all HPFP between 2007 to 2009 would fail, and the part is expensive, they won't fix it until it is actually broken! That's why the extended warranty! In my case, my car was not on a recall, but since I knew the part is covered, therefore I had my local mechanic scanned it and got the code. I took the car into BMW and have them scan again and confirmed. Replacement and even the diagnostic were free! Unfortunately in my case, BMW said all my cylinders were misfiring and would charge me $3000 to fix them. But that's another story!
The recall covered 2007–2010 335i models as I previously mentioned so unfortunately the 2011s were not and for those who 2011 who did have HPFP problems, unfortunately, they are having to deal with it on their own. My 2010 was built in November 2009 and luckily I was one of the fortunate 2010 owners who didn’t have any issues with the original or the replacement HPFP.
So far it has been running great and reliable as the first day I drove it home. See my most recent post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148570

As for your issue, the misfiring cylinders could be related to the VANOS which was also another recall for your model year, but that is strange that it’s happening all of a sudden while with the dealer. Definitely something suspicious.
Did you have that VANOS recall done already?
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport package/Auto-STEPTRONIC shift
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #1229
techwhiz
Colonel
techwhiz's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
2,064
Posts

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (3)

My car has 122k. I have 3rd party warranty but BMW is covering the HPFP under "good will".
As long as it gets replaced I don't really care. Turbo seals are toast but 3rd party warranty is covering.

Anyway, car back on Monday.
__________________
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters\CF Spoiler\Blacklines\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex EC7-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 and Nexus 7 -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #1230
san40k
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2008 6MT 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Replace your spark plugs first and see if misfires disappear.
Dealer wanted to fix my misfires by replacing injectors, i went ahead and replaced plugs myself and the issue was gone. The car was ~70K miles on original spark plugs anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickalot View Post
Hi guys, new here. My 2007 BMW 335i Convertible was having the HPFP replaced. But just when I was going to pick up my car, my service adviser told me the engine light came on while testing it. I was told there was multiple cylinders misfiring! And they will charge me $3000 to fix it, even though the HPFP was replaced for free as per warranty. Does anyone know if the BMW tech simply messed my car up? Because I had gone to a local mechanic before bringing to BMW because the local mechanic scanned and told me it was the HPFP. There were no other codes! Even BMW didn't get any other codes before they replaced the HPFP. And I know it would throw out codes for misfiring. I think the dealer service is trying to make money off me since they are not getting any money from me for the recall. Thanks for any input. I am also waiting for the detail diagnosis from dealer
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST