E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

05-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #1607
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
What to use on the bumpers of a 2011 335i, with a porter cable? Please include the size of pad.
I would suggest the 4" pads from Lake Country to help you with those tighter spaces. As for what products to use it just depends on your goals. I normally do a full detail like this:

Wash/Dry
IronX
Clay Bar
M105 - 4" orange pad
M205 - 4" white pad
Chemical Guys EZ Creme - 4" black pad
Blackfire Wet Diamond - 4" blue pad

Let me know if you need more specifics.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1608
Brent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

I have a question. There are a lot of "nano" paint sealants coming out. The one I have just heard of is Nanolex from Germany. There are a whole variety such as CQuartz. Most of them seem to use some type of silica. Anyway, pretty wild claims are made for these - they are "self organizing", bond "electrostatically", and that they are extremely durable. I saw one video for something called Nano Diamond Shield spray that appeared to be very hydrophobic, but user reviews I have found say it is nearly useless.

Are any of these products actually any good? Do any protect in such extreme ways as the advertisements suggest? If so, which actually work, and what is the difference? I tried a can of the Nano Diamond Shiled that I found at an auto parts store, and it didn't do much for protecting my wheel from brake dust - in fact it performed much less than the Armor All product that cost a lot less.

I am a believer in science, but so far all of the "high tech" products out there just don't seem to do much more than plain old wax, and some not even that much. Any "nano" products that you use or recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1609
kjang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Barrique Red 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I have a question. There are a lot of "nano" paint sealants coming out. The one I have just heard of is Nanolex from Germany. There are a whole variety such as CQuartz. Most of them seem to use some type of silica. Anyway, pretty wild claims are made for these - they are "self organizing", bond "electrostatically", and that they are extremely durable. I saw one video for something called Nano Diamond Shield spray that appeared to be very hydrophobic, but user reviews I have found say it is nearly useless.

Are any of these products actually any good? Do any protect in such extreme ways as the advertisements suggest? If so, which actually work, and what is the difference? I tried a can of the Nano Diamond Shiled that I found at an auto parts store, and it didn't do much for protecting my wheel from brake dust - in fact it performed much less than the Armor All product that cost a lot less.

I am a believer in science, but so far all of the "high tech" products out there just don't seem to do much more than plain old wax, and some not even that much. Any "nano" products that you use or recommend?
Cquartz and Opticoat are tried and true.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #1610
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So I was able to finally start the detail process on my car (I've got a 7 day old baby boy that takes up most of my time). I've done the wash/clay/wash so far, but when I do the plastic bag test, I still feel grittiness on the paint. Just to be sure, it should be smooth as glass, right? I used the mothers clay kit that you can get just about anywhere. Maybe I need a medium grade clay?
      05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1611
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You are right the marketing and hype of certain products far exceed the actual performance, however there are several products that do work extremely well in long term protection.

As mentioned above the CarPro Cquartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection and Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating are the real deal. These products offer protection that can last years and really protect the clear coat extremely well.

Check out these articles about the Opti-Coat:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...opti-coat-2-0/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...pearance-mods/

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #1612
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
So I was able to finally start the detail process on my car (I've got a 7 day old baby boy that takes up most of my time). I've done the wash/clay/wash so far, but when I do the plastic bag test, I still feel grittiness on the paint. Just to be sure, it should be smooth as glass, right? I used the mothers clay kit that you can get just about anywhere. Maybe I need a medium grade clay?
First off congrats on the baby boy I'm sure it's an exciting time.

As for the paint I generally recommend a fine grade bar and that is usually pretty good unless you have heavy tar, paint over spray, etc. The brand of clay bar you have is most likely fine as well. Are you feeling contamination on the surface still or is it possibly just an orange peel to the paint? If you need help determining if it's orange peel check out this article - http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-it-a-problem/. If it's definitely not orange peel can you try and go back over a small area with the clay bar to see if you can remove it. If not can you remove what is on the surface with a product like the Stoner Tarminator and the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover? These two products are great at removing different types of build ups on the surface.

If the contaminants remain then please try to take some pictures or help us identify what you are potentially feeling. Good luck with the new baby and congrats again.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #1613
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Greg, thanks. It's definitely exciting...and tiring having a little one around. I try to head out to the garage and pass up the nap time. We'll see how long that lasts.
As for the paint, I can definitely see the orange peel but I guess I never thought I'd be able to feel it. I did go over another section of the hood with the clay just to make sure I was putting in enough elbow grease into it and I didn't have any better results. The paint looks great IMO so maybe it is orange peel that I'm feeling. As usual, thanks for all the help. Also just got the stuff I ordered...leatherique, 303 protectant, sonax wheel cleaner and some snappy clean. You guys are great, fast shipping and good prices.
      05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #1614
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
Greg, thanks. It's definitely exciting...and tiring having a little one around. I try to head out to the garage and pass up the nap time. We'll see how long that lasts.
As for the paint, I can definitely see the orange peel but I guess I never thought I'd be able to feel it. I did go over another section of the hood with the clay just to make sure I was putting in enough elbow grease into it and I didn't have any better results. The paint looks great IMO so maybe it is orange peel that I'm feeling. As usual, thanks for all the help. Also just got the stuff I ordered...leatherique, 303 protectant, sonax wheel cleaner and some snappy clean. You guys are great, fast shipping and good prices.
Glad to hear you're getting some free time with the new born around. My brother and his wife are expecting a boy this summer and I'm excited for that!

Thank you for the order I sincerely appreciate it! I like your list of products a lot I think you'll love them! To some extent yes you will definitely feel the orange peel. Contaminants will feel like an abrupt bump where as the orange peel feels just more consistently uneven. Even though most people don't want to hear it, in general I recommend most people to "just live with it". I don't mean to be harsh but removing orange peel can be tricky and is generally something that should be left to an expert detailer. In this article you can see Rasky do a full wet sand if interested (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...e-orange-peel/). I hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #1615
CLE-335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2k8 335xi Sedan

I want to thank you for the best thread for detailing. All my questions were answered simply by reading the posts and I have since dropped some cash on your site for products I never knew existed. I have been using Zaino by hand for years but now I am diving into a PC7424xp for the first time and some Megs 105/205, Poor Boys Black Hole and Blackfire sealant.

Thanks again Detailed Image!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #1616
Brent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
You are right the marketing and hype of certain products far exceed the actual performance, however there are several products that do work extremely well in long term protection.

As mentioned above the CarPro Cquartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection and Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating are the real deal. These products offer protection that can last years and really protect the clear coat extremely well.

Check out these articles about the Opti-Coat:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...opti-coat-2-0/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...pearance-mods/

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg, I appreciate the response. I might try one of the two listed. It sounds as if the CQuartz might be the easier of the two to work with for a less experienced person like myself as opposed to a professional detailer? I see the warnings on the Opti Coat 2 about high spots and such. Am I correct in that assumption?

I appreciate the candid answer. So many of the "high tech" nano products come with so much hype that it is really hard for the average guy to filter through what is true and what is BS. It makes sense to me that chemists will work on new & better products, and I hope to use such, but then some of the advertisements seem to be unadulterated BS and it strains belief. I think it is better for a guy like me to listen to a voice of experience rather than stumble along blindly trying different products, so I do appreciate your advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #1617
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Greg, thanks again. I'll definitely take your recommendation and just live with the orange peel. This obviously isn't a show car and there is no need for me to attempt wet sanding or to spend the money to have the whole car wet sanded. I'm very happy with what you've guided me on thus far. Just finished M105/M205 and got a couple panels of BFWD done. It looks great, but my car is silver. I can't wait to do my wife's dark gray RDX. Her car has some swirl marks and since its darker I feel like i'll be able to see the results a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #1618
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Greg,
I have purchased all my detailing products from you in the past year and want to thank you for the great products and service you provided.

I need your expert opinion on my situation. I have an 2011 mineral white E92. The have the car for about a year now. I have never waxed or polish before. I noticed a couple of swirl mark on the trunk lid the other night. I'm thinking I need to do a complete detail on the car. I have a PC 7424 polisher I purchased a few years back but have never used it. I really dread doing the clay bar part of the detail. I'm afraid I might mess up the paint on my car. I saw recently from a thread on this board about a new product called NanoSkin Autoscrub. This is suppose to replace claying and take less time. Do you have any experience with this product? advantage and disadvantage to using this product vs. claying? I need your assistance in recommending good pads for my PC. I also need your help on the polishing step and sealant/wax part. Should I go with zaino products or other brands?

Thank you for all your help.
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #1619
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

What product/s, equipment to use to clean the carpet inside a car?
My carpet has spots on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #1620
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE-335 View Post
I want to thank you for the best thread for detailing. All my questions were answered simply by reading the posts and I have since dropped some cash on your site for products I never knew existed. I have been using Zaino by hand for years but now I am diving into a PC7424xp for the first time and some Megs 105/205, Poor Boys Black Hole and Blackfire sealant.

Thanks again Detailed Image!
Great post!!! We're all thrilled you were able to search and find the answers you were looking for. I like the items you picked up and I'm confident you'll love the results. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1621
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Greg, I appreciate the response. I might try one of the two listed. It sounds as if the CQuartz might be the easier of the two to work with for a less experienced person like myself as opposed to a professional detailer? I see the warnings on the Opti Coat 2 about high spots and such. Am I correct in that assumption?

I appreciate the candid answer. So many of the "high tech" nano products come with so much hype that it is really hard for the average guy to filter through what is true and what is BS. It makes sense to me that chemists will work on new & better products, and I hope to use such, but then some of the advertisements seem to be unadulterated BS and it strains belief. I think it is better for a guy like me to listen to a voice of experience rather than stumble along blindly trying different products, so I do appreciate your advice.
I understand that there is so much BS/marketing hype it's hard to read between the lines. I'd encourage you to check out our Ask a Pro Blog for more unbiased advice and info, it's a great resource that I learn from as well.

The original Opti-Coat was definitely much harder to work with but version 2 is relatively user friendly. I would say the application is pretty similar between the two, if you leave ridges or high spots you'll simply want to polish them for perfection. You can't go wrong either way, both are outstanding.

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #1622
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Greg,
I have purchased all my detailing products from you in the past year and want to thank you for the great products and service you provided.

I need your expert opinion on my situation. I have an 2011 mineral white E92. The have the car for about a year now. I have never waxed or polish before. I noticed a couple of swirl mark on the trunk lid the other night. I'm thinking I need to do a complete detail on the car. I have a PC 7424 polisher I purchased a few years back but have never used it. I really dread doing the clay bar part of the detail. I'm afraid I might mess up the paint on my car. I saw recently from a thread on this board about a new product called NanoSkin Autoscrub. This is suppose to replace claying and take less time. Do you have any experience with this product? advantage and disadvantage to using this product vs. claying? I need your assistance in recommending good pads for my PC. I also need your help on the polishing step and sealant/wax part. Should I go with zaino products or other brands?

Thank you for all your help.
Glad to hear you have a PC and you are ready to make the vehicle lok like new again. Doing a full detail does take a lot of time but the results are well worth it and there are some new products out that will save you a lot of time that I'll highlight below.

Wash / Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Before drying the vehicle the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover is an amazing product. Simply mist it on the paint let it dwell for about two minutes and watch it break down embedded iron deposits. If you have any stubborn areas wipe them with your wash mitt and light pressure before rinsing off.

Clay Bar
Traditionally we've recommended a clay bar and lube but some more time efficient options do exist. If you do want to use a clay bar check out the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. The NanoSkin AutoScrub Medium Foam Pad is another option that is much faster! It is just as thorough as clay but you may not be able to get in to tight spaces with it. It can add imperfections to the paint like a clay bar can but with some basic precautions it's a pretty safe and effective option. If you are polishing afterward you can remove any micro-abrasions afterward anyway.

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions please check out our detailing guide or ask me I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1623
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
What product/s, equipment to use to clean the carpet inside a car?
My carpet has spots on it.
I use a medium scrub brush and the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. Spray the affected area and brush it in multiple different directions. If that doesn't remove it spray it again, let it sit for 1 - 2 minutes then agitate the stains again with your brush after you have dipped your brush in a tray of hot water. This is my go to interior cleaner that I highly recommend!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #1624
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Nice, thank you
what if stains are all over the carpet? should I use a wet/dry van instead?
could I used this stain remover u recommended and suck it up with vac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I use a medium scrub brush and the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. Spray the affected area and brush it in multiple different directions. If that doesn't remove it spray it again, let it sit for 1 - 2 minutes then agitate the stains again with your brush after you have dipped your brush in a tray of hot water. This is my go to interior cleaner that I highly recommend!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #1625
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Nice, thank you
what if stains are all over the carpet? should I use a wet/dry van instead?
could I used this stain remover u recommended and suck it up with vac?
This product should be fine to use all over and it works in extractors if needed. I would just spray it all over and use a brush, I've found this to be even more effective than just an extractor. If desired you can use a wet dry vac after to accelerate the drying process. If not just try not to use excessive amounts of water and leave the doors open so air can circulate.

The 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner is the concentrated version of this same cleaner if interested. It can be diluted up to 10:1, I personally use it around 6:1 - 8:1, regardless it's an amazing value.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #1626
mjz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Conv

Just sent you a PM I've been following this great thread online. Wondered if you would also recommend an auto care package for me. I just purchased my first BMW, a 2009 335i convertible. It's a CPO from the local dealer. Black with red leather. It's my everyday driver car and I have children. Not a lot of time to detail it constantly, but want to take care of it. Recommendations on a full car care package? I need it all!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #1627
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

spray wax after quick detailer

Is it okay to use Optimum Spray Wax after using quick detailer (optimum no rinse mixture)? Will the wax actually stay on or does car need to be rinsed with 100% water and dried for it to work??

Thanks,

Roger
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1628
jiaan13
uʍop ǝpısdn
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, SG/Saddle, ZSP, ZPP

This isn't BMW-related, but I'm hoping you guys can help. I have a white 1994 Volvo 940 turbo with a lot of deposits on the paint. It used to be garaged, but my 335d took its place :P.

I wax it 2x/yr and clay once a year, but it was never "buttery smooth". I use Meguiar's clay, but it doesn't pick up everything-- even after claying the same 2'x2' section for ~10 mins. Should I be using a different type of clay? More aggressive clay? Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0