E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Software Warning...bad tuners.

Closed Thread

01-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #375
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Because he has nothing to back up his claims with That's why he keeps dodging the questions
You should be asking your god for data to support his test other than beating the life out of his car, I'm not selling you a potential problem. Have you been reading the same thread, you should go back and see who is dodging questions.

In the end, the bottom line is that when your car breaks, if it does. Is procede standing behind you with his wallet open, or are you standing there alone!

It may never fail, what if it does?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #376
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

There you go, dodging questions again. You are the one making a bunch of ridiculous claims.. YOU are the one that should be providing data to back yourself up with.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #377
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18b1ex View Post
In the end, the bottom line is that when your car breaks, if it does. Is procede standing behind you with his wallet open, or are you standing there alone!
Nope, but BMW is. That is the point of a piggyback, YOU CAN TAKE IT OUT! I thought that was obvious....
      01-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #378
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You should be asking your god for data to support his test other than beating the life out of his car, I'm not selling you a potential problem. Have you been reading the same thread, you should go back and see who is dodging questions.

What is ridiculous?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #379
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:

I think most everyone got the point that Dinan offers a warranty and is a big outfit with a longstanding reputation; whereas Vishnu does not offer a warranty on the car, and is not a big outfit with a tradition in the BMW community.

We understood all of this like months or years ago. Really, you are not adding anything new to the conversation.

And data is not something that I usually ask from a God.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #380
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is ridiculous?
You quoting yourself...
      01-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #381
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
Nope, but BMW is. That is the point of a piggyback, YOU CAN TAKE IT OUT! I thought that was obvious....
You keep believing that when they take out the broken turbo and have it analyzed. Turbo engineers will be able to tell what happened. Why, they would have seen the same issues in their tests!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #382
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Actually if you read my previous posts, I said they were most likely given access, but who really knows, they do have a flash out for the 335. How many other tuners can say that?
You did say "have you cracked any ECU's?" Yes, I do think Dinan was given access or paid for it (but how am I to know?).

Anyways, just because Dinan has been in business for a while doesn't mean no other companies started after them will do poorly. That's just a bad assumption on your part. Remember the Japanese companies in the 70's? Look at them now. Compare Sony with Zenith - need I say more? Age of company doesn't mean a thing, except they are established.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #383
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
This kind of statement could be interpreted as a racist slur. I took it to mean that you have little respect for the many years of experience Shiv has had tuning turbo cars, compared to what Steve Dinan has had building a company that markets a wide range of products -- everything from "signature floor mats" to lightweight wheels @ 1249 each + 299 spacer. What is the point here? They are both great guys. I don't get why some folks are so intent on trying to tear either one down. Dinan has a ton of stuff that his company works on. Shiv is focussed on modifying the information processing system of the N54. Can't we appreciate them both?

Excellent post.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #384
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
You keep believing that when they take out the broken turbo and have it analyzed. Turbo engineers will be able to tell what happened. Why, they would have seen the same issues in their tests!
While I would not condone someone blowing a turbo due to upgrades and putting it on BMW to flip the bill; your statement is off base on two immediate accounts.

First, by the time the turbo is received back at MHI the owner would have been returned a functioning vehicle.

Second, bearing failure can occur in a number of ways and is not exclusive of spinning faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #385
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
You did say "have you cracked any ECU's?" Yes, I do think Dinan was given access or paid for it (but how am I to know?).

Anyways, just because Dinan has been in business for a while doesn't mean no other companies started after them will do poorly. That's just a bad assumption on your part. Remember the Japanese companies in the 70's? Look at them now. Compare Sony with Zenith - need I say more? Age of company doesn't mean a thing, except they are established.
I was citing their experiences, resources, and access. In your comparison the japanese poured more into r&d to have a more reliable, better engineered products. Then you will come here and say hondas are underpowered and cheap, yadda yadda, yadda. The bottom line is their conservative approach has lead them to taking over the car market. Aren't the Japanese number 1 and 2 in sales?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #386
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Reach each of your sentences dude. There are no facts - only opinions with alot of hyped feeling behind it or a question. You really sound like a kid jumping up and down like you know what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #387
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Aren't the Japanese number 1 and 2 in sales?
Nope, GM is stil the largest with Toyota trailing and Ford taking up third.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #388
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

What's the difference really to the end user? We KNOW the v1/v2/v2.0834 does go into limp mode at times for WHATEVER reason. Has ANYONE gone limp with dinan???
I know I haven't...yet I have 6k miles and running BETTER than ever!
Your answer is right there my friends
Quote:
If this is the case, then lets hear it (what extra test has dinan completed that is above and over Shiv's)? It's a valid question.

My car is already purchased, not leased.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #389
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
While I would not condone someone blowing a turbo due to upgrades and putting it on BMW to flip the bill; your statement is off base on two immediate accounts.

First, by the time the turbo is received back at MHI the owner would have been returned a functioning vehicle.

Second, bearing failure can occur in a number of ways and is not exclusive of spinning faster.
Yes, the turbo could have been replaced, but then what? They can still void you from future work.

And yes there can be other reasons, but in their exhaustive testing they will have data to identify many different possible failure modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #390
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was citing their experiences, resources, and access. In your comparison the japanese poured more into r&d to have a more reliable, better engineered products. Then you will come here and say hondas are underpowered and cheap, yadda yadda, yadda. The bottom line is their conservative approach has lead them to taking over the car market. Aren't the Japanese number 1 and 2 in sales?
Experience? How do you measure it? By year in business?
Lets take a sw engineer. I know a guy in the sw industry for 15 years.
I know a kid that's been doing the same thing for five years. I'll trust the
guy with only five years experience because he can write better code then the guy who has been in the business for 15 years.

Resource and access? I believe Dinan has more resources (how do I know? I don't, but it's just a guess).

Yeah, the japanese are top sellers in the automotive industry so that puts your argument to rest .

Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #391
b18b1ex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Reach each of your sentences dude. There are no facts - only opinions with alot of hyped feeling behind it or a question. You really sound like a kid jumping up and down like you know what you're talking about.
proofread please.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #392
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the turbo could have been replaced, but then what? They can still void you from future work.

And yes there can be other reasons, but in their exhaustive testing they will have data to identify many different possible failure modes.
The levels of analysis on failed parts general does not identify if upgrades were made as the number would be miniscule. They would identify a bearing failure and put it under that category; nothing more. I say this with serious intent as we have designed many of the systems which perform such testing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #393
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

stop dodging questions please.

Quote:
proofread please.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #394
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the japanese are top sellers in the automotive industry so that puts your argument to rest .
GM is still number 1!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #395
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well Mods, might as well close this one down......
      01-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #396
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
GM is still number 1!!!
I thought GM was surpassed by Toyota for the first time in history last year. I could be wrong. GM is huge.

Honda has sold my accords than Tauras. Before, that was only true if you did not include tauras fleet sales. Now included, the accord has outsold Tauras, correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread