E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fan turns on when car turns on (cant hit off auto program on idrive)

03-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 3281 Xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Question Fan turns on when car turns on (cant hit off auto program on idrive)

So I get the car back from the dealer for the ticking sound. (Fixed) Now every time i turn my car on the fan also turns on. (I didnt leave it off when i turned the car off) I go into the iDrive system and it says automatic program with 3 options, soft, medium and intense or something. One of the boxes are checked and i can switch between boxes but can not have them all unchecked.

I'm pretty positive this is causing the fan to kick on as soon as the car is started, nice feature but not for this time of year. I need to know how to get it to stop because its annoying and starts the fan at level 4 right away.

Under iDrive...climate control...automatic programs (its not the parked car feature)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
NaNo_F1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328i

Replace the thermostat. Mine used to go off all the time too until I did this. If that doesn't work it could also be a malfunctioning water pump.

Titanium Silver (TiAg) || OEM 219M Wheels ||BMW Performance Exhaust || BMW Performance AT Shift & Boot || BMW Performance Gloss Black Grills || MTech E-Brake || MTech Steering Wheel || LCI Headlights || UHP LED License ||
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNo_F1 View Post
Replace the thermostat. Mine used to go off all the time too until I did this. If that doesn't work it could also be a malfunctioning water pump.
It doesnt turn off by itself... its just set to automatically come on when the car turns on...I see it set as such but cant change it.

Under climate and automatic programs...one of the 3 options is checked off and it shouldnt be and it doesnt allow me to change it.

Dont think it has anything to do with a thermostat or water pump its more to do with a setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
NaNo_F1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbocc13 View Post
It doesnt turn off by itself... its just set to automatically come on when the car turns on...I see it set as such but cant change it.

Under climate and automatic programs...one of the 3 options is checked off and it shouldnt be and it doesnt allow me to change it.

Dont think it has anything to do with a thermostat or water pump its more to do with a setting.
I meant off as in turned on, sorry wrong expression lol

Good luck to you then

Titanium Silver (TiAg) || OEM 219M Wheels ||BMW Performance Exhaust || BMW Performance AT Shift & Boot || BMW Performance Gloss Black Grills || MTech E-Brake || MTech Steering Wheel || LCI Headlights || UHP LED License ||
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
to clarify...

every time I shut the car off and turn it back on again, the climate control automaticaly comes back on (in the lowest fan setting). Even if the car was shut off with the climate control turned off and left overnight.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
NaNo_F1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbocc13 View Post
to clarify...

every time I shut the car off and turn it back on again, the climate control automaticaly comes back on (in the lowest fan setting). Even if the car was shut off with the climate control turned off and left overnight.
Sorry, didn't read the climate control part the first time, I thought you were talking about the fan in your hood!

Appreciate 0