E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Iphone 4

06-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #45
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Same reason they're changing the data plans, too. If you buy a 4G, you lose your $30 unlimited data plan.

Here's my question...can you use existing accessories (car chargers, for example)? We already know that based on the new shape, the old docks probably won't fit. :P
That's not exactly correct, at least not according to many sources. Most are saying ATT is grandfathering current subscribers. One report:

Current AT&T subscribers who wish to upgrade to the next iPhone or any smartphone will be able to grandfather in their existing unlimited plan. If you decide to add a new line to your existing account then you'll have to opt for one of the two new data plans. AT&T says that "upgrading a phone or extending a contract doesn't trigger any change."

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #46
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

So does this hint to Jobs renewing the AT&T carrier contract?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #47
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

ATT network is fail..

If it was Verizon I would pay my ETF for my iphone and jump ships
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
That's not exactly correct, at least not according to many sources. Most are saying ATT is grandfathering current subscribers. One report:

Current AT&T subscribers who wish to upgrade to the next iPhone or any smartphone will be able to grandfather in their existing unlimited plan. If you decide to add a new line to your existing account then you'll have to opt for one of the two new data plans. AT&T says that "upgrading a phone or extending a contract doesn't trigger any change."
+1

This has been recently covered all over various tech blogs. If you currently have an unlimited data plan for the 3G or 3GS, you can upgrade to iPhone 4 without being forced to adopt the new 2GB capped plan. Only catch is, as others already pointed out, you can't get the official AT&T tethering option tacked on unless you ditch the unlimited plan. All problems are solved with a jailbreak though...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #49
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
1. I'm not going through that mess of a FB page to determine what you're saying is right and
2. AT&T Smartphone customers does not mean iPhone customers. If they meant iPhone, they'd have said iPhone.

Stop arguing to argue.
how does it feel to be so incredibly wrong
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #50
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
There IS NO DEBATE between iPhone and Android. iPhone wins and here is why:

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/

Jailbroken iPhone = Android dual boot on a smartphone = win win win. I love android and now I love my iPhone even more. If anyone is a coder we'd love to have you build the toolchain and help us get openiboot working on the 3gs as well as the iphone 4 when it comes out.

They also have android 2.2 froyo running on the iPhone 3g. 2g also runs android:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #51
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/

Jailbroken iPhone = Android dual boot on a smartphone = win win win. I love android and now I love my iPhone even more. If anyone is a coder we'd love to have you build the toolchain and help us get openiboot working on the 3gs as well as the iphone 4 when it comes out.

They also have android 2.2 froyo running on the iPhone 3g. 2g also runs android:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I have a smashed 3GS [edit: I should have read closer, it's running on a 3G] which I'd like to put Android on (I don't want to mess with my functioning 3GS). The screen is fine but the digitizer is broken - the connector on the logic board is shot. I know I can use Veency to control the phone from my computer, and I can install it by way of adding the package to an .ipsw. I'm stuck at trying to find a way to get Veency running and configured without the use of the touch screen.

Probably an exercise in futility, but I'm bored tonight.

Last edited by Dan in PA; 06-08-2010 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #52
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post

If there is NO DEBATE as you say, then why am I replying to your post? iPhone 4 isn't even out, and already it still doesn't "blow the competition away". As a matter of fact, it still lags the competition in some areas.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19821...hone_pack.html

For example, the iPhone 4 is a 3G phone, the Evo is 4G. The iPhone 4 doesn't have the camera quality of the Evo (8mp) or the Incredible (8mp). The iPhone still won't have flash. Even in the areas that the iPhone wins, it won't be for long. Apple releases a new iPhone about once a year (2G - June 29, 2007, 3G - July 11, 2008, 3GS - June 8, 2009, 4G June 24, 2010). Current android phones are already beating the 3GS in reviews, the Incredible and the EVO aren't that far off, and in some cases better than the iPhone 4 in terms of specs. New Android phones with greater features are popping up every month it seems. As a hardware platform iPhone 4 will be obsolete soon enough, and while you're waiting the majority of another year for the next big thing, those who love Android phones will no doubt already have it.

Last edited by radix; 06-08-2010 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #53
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
If there is NO DEBATE as you say, then why am I replying to your post? iPhone 4 isn't even out, and already it still doesn't "blow the competition away". As a matter of fact, it still lags the competition in some areas.

For example, the iPhone 4 is a 3G phone, the Evo is 4G. The iPhone 4 doesn't have the camera quality of the Evo (8mp) or the Incredible (8mp). The iPhone still won't have flash. Even in the areas that the iPhone wins, it won't be for long. Apple releases a new iPhone about once a year (2G - June 29, 2007, 3G - July 11, 2008, 3GS - June 8, 2009, 4G June 24, 2010). Current android phones are already beating the 3GS in reviews, the Incredible and the EVO aren't that far off, and in some cases better than the iPhone 4 in terms of specs. New Android phones with greater features are popping up every month it seems. As a hardware platform iPhone 4 will be obsolete soon enough, and while you're waiting the majority of another year for the next big thing, those who love Android phones will no doubt already have it.

Exactly. If there was NO DEBATE, Android would not even exist.
      06-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #54
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post

Megapixels isn't everything and Jobs said it himself that he is not going to get into a megapixel statistic war with the competition. You can have 100 MP, but still have the worst lens possible and photo quality would suffer due to the crappy lens.

As explained here,

http://petavoxel.wordpress.com/2010/...indle-example/

AT&T doesn't even have LTE even running yet. So it wouldn't make sense for Apple to put LTE stuff into the iPhone( especially like 3G when it came out, 4G is extremely battery hungry).

Last edited by quagmire; 06-08-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #55
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
http://lifehacker.com/5557550/which-...one-or-android
      06-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
Hunter@Motorwerks
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does anyone know if you Pre-order on the 15th the phone will be delivered at your door the 24th?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #57
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter@Motorwerks View Post
Does anyone know if you Pre-order on the 15th the phone will be delivered at your door the 24th?
i believe it will be delivered to your door the day it is available to the public.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #58
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Someone please correct me if I am wrong: FaceTime requires WiFi to work (for now, anyway) but also uses your voice minutes?
      06-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #59
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong: FaceTime requires WiFi to work (for now, anyway) but also uses your voice minutes?

It does not use your voice minutes, and it DOES require wifi
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #60
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Cut that shit

At first I thought this was a joke, but it's actually possible
      06-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #61
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
It does not use your voice minutes, and it DOES require wifi

I know it requires WiFi, I read somewhere (and forget which source) that it also uses up your AT&T voice minutes. I'll try to find a link...
      06-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #62
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

I'm appalled at anyone who picks up an android phone if not for a really really specific reason.

a new android phone drops like every 4 months now, and each being billed as the iphone killer.

It won't happen. Ever.
      06-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #63
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
I'm appalled at anyone who picks up an android phone if not for a really really specific reason.
Well that's your choice. I'd imagine your experience across the market of mobile devices is limited, as many people "in the know", or experienced enough to make such a statement, would definitely not agree with that.

Whether or not they're being billed as an iPhone killer, it doesn't matter.... No one will ever dethrone the iPhone, even with a vastly superior interface or features (if that happens). Apple has developed too loyal of a fan base who would literally eat shit straight out of Jobs' ass if it meant they got the new iPhone before everyone else.

That's not to take anything away from the iPhone, as it's a great device, and for the most part, it's the smartest choice as a "smart phone" for your average Joe. However, to say someone would need a specific reason to pick up these Android phones (with better specs in a few regards) is a pretty ignorant statement.

I'll give you two non-specific, very general reasons right off the bat why someone would choose the Android devices first:

1) AT&T sucks balls but Apple won't get out of bed with them because AT&T would give Apple the world to keep the contract. AT&T would (and has) sell out the users of non-iPhones (bandwidth priority) just to keep the contract with Apple. So, you have to go with AT&T or T-mobile without 3G.

2) Flash. I don't care what Steve Jobs says about it; people want it on their mobile devices at the moment, and devices such as the Incredible have the hardware and the screen to properly run whatever you want on Flash. I don't care if HTML5 is the future, it's not the future of NOW.

Below that, I would list specific reasons, but my point is: NO people don't need specific reasons to pick up anything besides the iPhone.

Go ahead and be appalled. That's your prerogative. It's also your prerogative to be ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #64
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

a new android phone drops like every 4 months now, and each being billed as the iphone killer.

It won't happen. Ever.

No, it will never happen. No other company has a rabid, blind fanboy user base like Apple's, as evidenced by your post. I love my MacBook Pro and like my 3GS, but blind iPhone fans get to me.
      06-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #65
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well that's your choice. I'd imagine your experience across the market of mobile devices is limited, as many people "in the know", or experienced enough to make such a statement, would definitely not agree with that.

Whether or not they're being billed as an iPhone killer, it doesn't matter.... No one will ever dethrone the iPhone, even with a vastly superior interface or features (if that happens). Apple has developed too loyal of a fan base who would literally eat shit straight out of Jobs' ass if it meant they got the new iPhone before everyone else.

That's not to take anything away from the iPhone, as it's a great device, and for the most part, it's the smartest choice as a "smart phone" for your average Joe. However, to say someone would need a specific reason to pick up these Android phones (with better specs in a few regards) is a pretty ignorant statement.

I'll give you two non-specific, very general reasons right off the bat why someone would choose the Android devices first:

1) AT&T sucks balls but Apple won't get out of bed with them because AT&T would give Apple the world to keep the contract. AT&T would (and has) sell out the users of non-iPhones (bandwidth priority) just to keep the contract with Apple. So, you have to go with AT&T or T-mobile without 3G.

2) Flash. I don't care what Steve Jobs says about it; people want it on their mobile devices at the moment, and devices such as the Incredible have the hardware and the screen to properly run whatever you want on Flash. I don't care if HTML5 is the future, it's not the future of NOW.

Below that, I would list specific reasons, but my point is: NO people don't need specific reasons to pick up anything besides the iPhone.

Go ahead and be appalled. That's your prerogative. It's also your prerogative to be ignorant.

You couldn't be more wrong as far as my experience, and I don't need to refute that.

No one will ever dethrone the iphone not because of its fan base, but because of their track record of getting things right. None of the things they have really done are new, but they rework existing ideas and as steve jobs say make it "magic".

How do you think they become fan boys? Consumers vote with their wallets.

I highly disagree it is for the average joe, it is the best product on the market for EVERYONE. By specific i meant if you would like to develop for the android(Waste of time if your after $)

At&t service with the iphone is not that great, it does suck, however I'm also convinced anyone who puts 50m iphones on their network would have the same problems. And truth be told I think at&t has done a great job of ramping it up, the issue was not with data, it is with voice.

Flash again I understand where you are coming from, but it is a business decision, they are taking a hit and deciding what they think is best for the industry and for future growth. Flash kills the battery, Flash ads suck, Flash websites are not like 1999. Apple has always removed things from their products because they don't believe n it, and it has worked wonders so far. I personally have never needed flash, do some poeple do? sure but the majority do not and this is what is RIGHT FOR THEM whether they know it or not.

osx has what 12% market share now? that is redic as it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ms latest offering, but people don't know what is good for them.

People are not rational they do not make informed decisions, honestly if you do not run osx, or have a smart phone that is not an iphone again for ANY specific reason and the reasons you give will be fixed in time, not implementation does not know what they are missing.

It's the same thing as if bmw were cheap as hondas and people still bought hondas.
      06-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #66
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong as far as my experience, and I don't need to refute that.

No one will ever dethrone the iphone not because of its fan base, but because of their track record of getting things right. None of the things they have really done are new, but they rework existing ideas and as steve jobs say make it "magic".

How do you think they become fan boys? Consumers vote with their wallets.

I highly disagree it is for the average joe, it is the best product on the market for EVERYONE. By specific i meant if you would like to develop for the android(Waste of time if your after $)

At&t service with the iphone is not that great, it does suck, however I'm also convinced anyone who puts 50m iphones on their network would have the same problems. And truth be told I think at&t has done a great job of ramping it up, the issue was not with data, it is with voice.

Flash again I understand where you are coming from, but it is a business decision, they are taking a hit and deciding what they think is best for the industry and for future growth. Flash kills the battery, Flash ads suck, Flash websites are not like 1999. Apple has always removed things from their products because they don't believe n it, and it has worked wonders so far. I personally have never needed flash, do some poeple do? sure but the majority do not and this is what is RIGHT FOR THEM whether they know it or not.

osx has what 12% market share now? that is redic as it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ms latest offering, but people don't know what is good for them.

People are not rational they do not make informed decisions, honestly if you do not run osx, or have a smart phone that is not an iphone again for ANY specific reason and the reasons you give will be fixed in time, not implementation does not know what they are missing.

It's the same thing as if bmw were cheap as hondas and people still bought hondas.

I agree that Windows sucks. It's refreshing to come home from work and use OS X, everything is just so much better for me. Just because someone prefers Windows does not mean that they are missing out on anything. It's personal preference.

Saying that developing for Android is a waste of time if you're after money is utter bullshit and you know it. You could say the same exact statement about developing for OS X.