E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Noise coming from rear end. Any suggestions?

07-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
pharmboyrx
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Thumbs down Noise coming from rear end. Any suggestions?

Hello everyone.

I noticed a noise coming from my right rear. It sounded like the tire was imbalanced. I had a little bit of vibration at the wheel. It happens at all speeds and the noise changes with speed variations.

I took it to a tire shop down the street from me to have it looked at. The mechanic lifted it up and brought me out. The right rear tire was definitely wearing faster than the left. However, when you place your hand on the diff and spin the wheel, You can feel a vibration. It does not do it when the left wheel is spun. The is no play (left/right) in the wheel or where the shaft connects to the differential. He told me he can't fix it.

I'm taking it to my usual mechanic who can fix it next week, but I'm trying to prepare myself for what is likely to be a ghastly diagnosis and repair bill. Any ideas as to what it's going to be? I'm hoping it's not the diff itself since it only appears to be a unilateral issue. I figure if the diff is bad it would be happening on both sides, but I could be wrong.

Any theories?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Bad wheel bearing?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
pharmboyrx
Rep

He said he didn't think it was a bad wheel bearing. There is no play in the wheel. The noise doesn't change when I turn. The vibration can clearly be felt when your hand is on the differential, but it only happens when the right wheel is turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
//MW
E90->E60->E90
Rep
Drives: MT Snow Beast

I have the same issue. Interested to see what you come back with.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
pharmboyrx
Rep

Turns out to not be that bad. I needed new rear tires. The right rear tire was worn more than the left. My mechanic said it's because the right wheel is the "drive" wheel and the left locks to the right so if any wheel spin/sliding occurs it will be on the right. Hence, the disproportionate wear. This is also the reason for different feeling on the differential. An inspection of the dif found nothing wrong.

Both rear wheel bearings were worn and slinging grease so both were replaced. This contributed to the noise from the back.

As long as he had the car I had him replace the manual transmission fluid and rear differential fluid as I've been trying to find the time to do it myself.

All said and done. 2 rear tires + alignment + 2 rear wheel bearings + transmission drain and fill + rear differential drain and fill = $1700

I'm not too pissed, but after the water pump/thermostat last month, it hurts.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
I know what you mean. How many miles does your car have?

I'm replacing my 2 front wheel bearings this week. Will eventually do the rear. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboyrx View Post
Turns out to not be that bad. I needed new rear tires. The right rear tire was worn more than the left. My mechanic said it's because the right wheel is the "drive" wheel and the left locks to the right so if any wheel spin/sliding occurs it will be on the right. Hence, the disproportionate wear. This is also the reason for different feeling on the differential. An inspection of the dif found nothing wrong.

Both rear wheel bearings were worn and slinging grease so both were replaced. This contributed to the noise from the back.

As long as he had the car I had him replace the manual transmission fluid and rear differential fluid as I've been trying to find the time to do it myself.

All said and done. 2 rear tires + alignment + 2 rear wheel bearings + transmission drain and fill + rear differential drain and fill = $1700

I'm not too pissed, but after the water pump/thermostat last month, it hurts.
Appreciate 0