E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Recommend a music manager/tag editor?

06-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Recommend a music manager/tag editor?

Can someone recommend a music manager for auto correcting tags on (mostly) mp3s?

Some of my music is in a terrible mess and I don't have the time or inclination to manually alter the ID3 tags. I like to be able to point some software at a folder and it sorts it using online lookups eg Gracenote etc. For example a three disc album where track 1 of each disc is listed as track 1 rather than 01-01, 02-01, 03-01. You get the idea.

Ta!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I use this one.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Its free and seems pretty good.
With regards importing the tag info, it says:

"Import from Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz Save typing and import tags from online databases like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more."
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Don't underestimate how good Windows Media Player* is at this sort of thing.

Makes a great organiser and is especially good if you sync music to the car

(* Assumes you have a Windows PC)
      07-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I use this one.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Its free and seems pretty good.
With regards importing the tag info, it says:

"Import from Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz Save typing and import tags from online databases like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more."
Ah, cheers. Actually I've tried that before and fired it up again last night but it failed badly on the first album I tried. And nothing obscure either. Maybe I should persevere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Don't underestimate how good Windows Media Player* is at this sort of thing.

Makes a great organiser and is especially good if you sync music to the car

(* Assumes you have a Windows PC)
Yes I do have a Windows PC but I haven't used WMP for a very long time. In fact it's fully disabled. But tbh I didn't even think of it. You've got me wondering now.

Any others?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Hi, I used Media Monkey as a good library and player for my 18Gb os MP3's. The program does a lot and is very stable.
I cant remember if it does automatic ID3 tagging + album art but you'll definitely find additional plugins that will do what you're asking for and much more on the main website. I prefer to do everything manually, tedious but its the way I like it.
It can even find discrepancies for you like duplicate tracks or missing contents that are missing from the ID3 tag. I.E. no genre, -db, album names.

If you can get you hands on a 'gold code' it unlocks 8 extra features that the free version doesn't have. Best thing about it is that there are no pop up adds.

Another option is winamp but I haven't used it for over 8 years and don't know how much it has developed.

The problem I find with auto tagging it can really screw up your data base when there is different versions of the same song or the same song is reused in different albums... eg. greatest hits etc. You end up with confusing album art works and ID3 data. But if you're looking for basic details to organise your files then i guess it makes sense.
Appreciate 0