E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help!!! Three Lights Came On At Same Time

05-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
drewpope
Rep
Drives: 325i

Help!!! Three Lights Came On At Same Time

The Suspension control system failed light

Dynamic stability control DSC and Dynamic Traction control DTC deactivated light

Drive off assistant has failed light

all of them are in yellow...

it is my first BMW i love it but i dont have a clue of what it is and if anyone could help i would owe you a big big favor cause i got money saved up for a beach trip and i really dont want to spend it all fixing my car... but my car always comes first
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

3rd picture is your tire pressure monitor alert.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
drewpope
Rep

yeah i know that... but all three come on at one time... i was riding down the road and it was on cruise and it just stopped cruise and those light came on... anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
your brakes
      05-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
drewpope
Rep

so whats wrong with the brakes you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
tamim
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

wow ... exactly the same thing happened to my 2006 330i.

Suspension Control System failed
Drive-off assistant has failed
Flat Tire Monitor failed

All came up at the same time. Is this something common ? How serious is the problem ? I'm gonna take it to to the dealer tomorrow. I'm still under warranty but still hoping sth major didn't break.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Sometimes weird electrical stuff happens when your battery starts to go. I had ABS (yellow) and my radio volume cutout last night. I've gone with a lightweight battery and the positive terminal had worked it's way loose, so it was not charging properly. I read through many posts last night and there were quite a few mentions of all sorts of lights coming up due to a battery starting to go bad. You may not have anything actually wrong except for the battery.

Ask that the dealer test the battery first.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpope View Post
so whats wrong with the brakes you think?
The Brakes might need to be changed being the BRAKE light is on and usually the " ! " inside the circle with the parentheses means brakes.
Attached Images

05-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
drewpope
Rep

tamim let me know what they say cause mine isnt lol... please!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
drewpope
Rep

how much do new brakes cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpope View Post
how much do new brakes cost?
At the dealer in my area i think $700ish just for fronts , I don't know tho b/c I did my fronts myself and cost me $400 in parts (2 sets of pads, 2 rotors and 1 sensor) and 2hrs of my time. Dealer might charge more or less you'd have to call them up and ask.\

Does your car still drive fine?
      05-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
drewpope
Rep

thanks... the guys at the shop dont think its the brakes but.... they seem fine no noise or anything
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Hazzem
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 Sparkling graphite

It happend to me aswell, dont worry, i was about to crap my pants seeing those 3 lights turn on, but i went to a BMW mechanic he told me that the car only needs "wheel alignment".. i did it, turned off the car, then on, the lights are off! if not check the catalogue to reset them wish u luck

Last edited by Hazzem; 05-18-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
drewpope
Rep

thats whats wrong but the sensor is broke on it tho... its going to cost me $800 which sucks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
mst321
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

BMW three light issue

Hello, I have a similar issue with my 2006 330i. Did you ever get a resolution on your issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

I had this issue with my '08 328i....

I got it fixed under CPO - was the DCT module or something? (controls the ABS and other sensors) I can try to track down my invoice for part numbers etc... they had my car for about 3 days though...(did give me a loaner) they tried fixing it was a $1,200 part that is made for this fix.. that didn't work so they repalced the entire module, which was a total of like $2,300 for the part.

When I had these lights on, everything worked fine, car drove fine, didn't notice that my ABS wasn't working - not sure if it was or wasn't, but the ABS light was on, in yellow.

I did NOT change my brakes, or sensors or anything like that - it is an electronics problem.
Just another electrical gremlin with these German cars.
      11-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

I currently have this problem.
I feel my alignment is off from the steering stability and inclination.
I will do am alignment first to see.
Hopefully, that will be all that's needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Wheel speed sensor is bad somewhere.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #19
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wheel speed sensor is bad somewhere.
So far, it looks like three things could cause those lights:

The pressure sensor in the hydraulic unit for DSC and stuff.
The wheel speed sensor like you said
Or the steering angle sensor.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467
So if you have those lights and your trafficators dont return on their own, adaptive headlight dont work and cruise control doesn't work, then it might be a steering angle sensor problem. The DIY in the thread above had these things working again after cleaning his angle sensor.

Lovely signature by the way Efthreeoh!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawshankNG View Post

So if you have those lights and your trafficators dont return on their own, adaptive headlight dont work and cruise control doesn't work, then it might be a steering angle sensor problem. The DIY in the thread above had these things working again after cleaning his angle sensor.

The data generated by the wheel speed sensors (there is one sensor at each wheel) is used for many other brake and stability control functions. So if a sensor goes bad and does not provide wheel speed information, the ancillary functions they support, which are: TPMS in 2006 - 2008 cars, DTC, DSC, ABS, brake assist, etc. are unable to work. There are probably a few more too and I would think one is dynamic steering, but since my car doesn't have it I'm not familiar with that system. A Bentley service manual comes in appropriately as it explains most all the systems in an E90.

If your car has a bad sensor, it would trigger the lights you have, so that's where I'd look first. A BMW scan tool, one that can read BMW trouble codes, can tell you what wheel has a bad sensor. A few months ago my car threw most of the same lights. I scanned my car with my BT scan tool and it indicated the left rear wheel speed sensor was bad. It is a very easy repair to make. The sensor is about $90 US.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #21
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:

The data generated by the wheel speed sensors (there is one sensor at each wheel) is used for many other brake and stability control functions. So if a sensor goes bad and does not provide wheel speed information, the ancillary functions they support, which are: TPMS in 2006 - 2008 cars, DTC, DSC, ABS, brake assist, etc. are unable to work. There are probably a few more too and I would think one is dynamic steering, but since my car doesn't have it I'm not familiar with that system. A Bentley service manual comes in appropriately as it explains most all the systems in an E90.

If your car has a bad sensor, it would trigger the lights you have, so that's where I'd look first. A BMW scan tool, one that can read BMW trouble codes, can tell you what wheel has a bad sensor. A few months ago my car threw most of the same lights. I scanned my car with my BT scan tool and it indicated the left rear wheel speed sensor was bad. It is a very easy repair to make. The sensor is about $90 US.
Does INPA/BMW tools for codes? I intend to set it up and buy a cable soon.

When you gad these lights did it affect traffication, cryise cintrol and adaptive headlights?

I have those errors as well as traficator lights not stopping after returning the steering and adaptive headlights not tracking with steering. That's why I felt it's got to be the SAS.

I will however definitely do a scan before attempting repairs.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does INPA/BMW tools for codes? I intend to set it up and buy a cable soon.

When you gad these lights did it affect traffication, cryise cintrol and adaptive headlights?

I have those errors as well as traficator lights not stopping after returning the steering and adaptive headlights not tracking with steering. That's why I felt it's got to be the SAS.

I will however definitely do a scan before attempting repairs.
I would expect the IPNA will read the wheel speed codes if they are present. You may also need to reset the steering angle sensor.
Appreciate 2