E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Service reset DIY

11-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #111
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 335i AT

One more time big thanks to the OP from a happier now bmw owner! Red BRAKE light gone from the dash
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #112
CHEMISTRY1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 323i E80 2006

I have tried this, but the car-on-the-lift sign(red) won't disappear
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #113
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Hot to reset to a specific interval, not the default one ??
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #114
chongmj
Rep
Drives: E90

Great post. Works well for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #115
lchan76
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

Hi fellow e90ers,

Hope all is well. Thanks for the great post.
Does anyone know how to change the service interval mileage? Let's say for example from 15,000km to 10,000km?

there's no sharing on this, so I'm wondering whether it could be done manually from the end user end. Anyone know how to get about this? Myself and I'm sure others would prefer if we can set the duration or the mileage of the service indicators.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #116
335d_09
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Service reset DIY

Great information! worked on my 2009 335d.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #117
orys
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D3

hi there!

today i got the yellow light for road worthiness test up on the dash so i searched around the forums and found this thread.

it seems like a very easy thing to do but i found out the following:

with the engine running and the car at a stand still, you get to the service menu and to one of the service items, in my case the road worthiness test, and you keep the small button on the side of the stick pressed till a square appears around the month, which lets you change the month and then the year.
In my country, Cyprus, MOT is every 2 years, therefore i have changed the date to what i wanted and the light became orange as normal. I havent tried this yet on other service items because i want to know the following:

1. what are the service intervals between front/ rear brake pads in kilometers/miles
2. what are the service intervals in km/m or date for the particle filter
3. what are the service intervals for the rest of the service items.

i am asking this because i had my car imported from the UK in May, and i took the car to a non-BMW owned garage to do a full service that cost 400 euro since the dealer in UK never sent me the service book of the car, and i didn't want to just trust him. i may ended up doing a service over another one but no harm in anything other than my pocket
BMW later checked my key and said that it appeared they did the service in the UK since they had reset the counters but as they claimed they cannot be sure. So i am taking the car to BMW on the 8th of February to replace the defective evaporator, so i was thinking to ask them to replace the particle filter to be safe. my worry is with the break pads as i don't understand how the service interval period works and i don't want to replace them before their time. i don't suppose the ECU can read the pad and understand how much is worn right? it will just pop the red light as soon as it touches the sensor or something i guess. so if that is wrong then it means that it just a clock ticking counterclockwise deducting the mileage you did and thus calculates when the service is due in km/m.

so in order to fix my interval, i must know what is the service interval when the brake pads are reset, and then calculate how many miles i did so far and deduct them and set that for me on the dash.

i hope someone can answer my questions.

i apologise for my long post.

Tio
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #118
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

This gotta be a sticky...I've been coming to this thread over and over.
      02-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #119
AtotheJ
Rep
Drives: E90 330i/E46 M3/R53 Cooper-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
**UPDATE**

The service indicators can still be reset even when the inspection symbol appears (car on a lift)

All you have to do is insert key hit the start button and wait for the red car on a lift to disappear (about 10-15 secs) before holding down the trip reset button.
Does anyone here know how to reset the 'Inspection Symbol' (car on a lift) ?

Thanks...

EDIT...I just noticed that the red e-brake light stays on now (even after disengaging the e-brake). This only occurred after I reset all service intervals on my car. I noticed that the rear brakes read '-------' unlike the fronts which now read '70000'. Is this an indication that my rear brake sensor/pads needs replacing? Also, why is this now occurring as a result of me resetting all service intervals?

thanks...

Last edited by AtotheJ; 02-11-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #120
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep

What does the muffler symbol with a propeller on the upper corner mean?
The milage shows 8000 miles. Does this reset?
Thanks...
      05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #121
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

Damnit! I just changed my oil and reset the oil service light. While I was doing this I happened to notice my rear brake service approaching < 1000; so I visually inspect rear brakes/rotors and they look totally fine. So I decide to just reset the rear brake service interval for shits, and damnit! Now I have red service light and the old "---------" for mileage and it will not reset.

Looks like I gotta buy new sensors for $21 each
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #122
arakele
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e30; e34; e90

I ran into the same issue.. so wear sensor fix the issue? It is bad enough I had to reset the OBC to correct the alternator charging when I replaced the battery...
      07-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #123
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakele View Post
I ran into the same issue.. so wear sensor fix the issue? It is bad enough I had to reset the OBC to correct the alternator charging when I replaced the battery...
I still haven't changed the sensor so I can't say for sure, but from everything I've read that will fix the issue. I plan on doing all 4 brakes in the fall and will change the sensors then. I've gotten used to the car on the lift light at start-up and the red brake light...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #124
arakele
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e30; e34; e90

The dealer fixed it, they said my brake data in my ECU was "corrupt", oddly enough now my drivers door won't lock and my heated seats turn off after 30 seconds.
      07-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #125
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Here is a video http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360706
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #126
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep

based on the video, the error code for the muffler and propeller icon is the "radiator coolant". So it is radiator coolant service that is needed. Thanks...
      07-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #127
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I believe that is for the mico filter, double check the manual
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #128
dpcc
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

I have a problem! I have replaced my rear pads when they were low but had NOT touched or damaged the sensor.

My service display showed 2,500 miles to Rear Brake Pads Needed.

I have refitted the old sensor to the new pads as it has not been touched or in contact with the brake disc.

I tried the above procedure to reset my brake service to full mileage, after the clock rotated next to the word reset, instead of a new mileage appearing, my display now shows ______ miles, and my Parking brake red light came on permanently and will not go off. The car now demands service immediately, brake pads need replacing.

I thought maybe it was because I hadn't changed the sensor therefore the circuit was never broken so maybe the car didn't know the pads had been changed, so this morning I disconnected the sensor for a couple of mins and then reconnected, still no change, every reset on rear brake pads shows the clock spinning and then returns to _____ miles with warning lights still on.

Am I missing something or is this going to mean a dealer visit for a reset? All help appreciated!!!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #129
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think you have to buy brand new sensors to get the light to go out, they're like $20 each. You'd probably pay at least 10X that at the dealer to have it reset...

Whatever you do, report back to the thread and let us know!

GL
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #130
dpcc
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

I just don't get why I would have to replace perfectly good untouched sensors? What is the difference between my sensor and a brand new one? Doesn't make sense, a sensor has a contact that gets broken when the sensor is damaged due to contact with disc, but mine is showing no sign.

Also the warning lights didn't come on until the point I tried to reset, which incidentally was 5 days after I had fitted the new pads!

David
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #131
markymark34
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 325d M Sport

Is it easy to replace the sensor? Ive done a brake chage on the rear but didnt renew the sensor as it was fine but now im getting the service _______ on the dash. Can i replace the sensor without removing the wheel?
is it on the passenger rear?

Thanks
MArk
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #132
dpcc
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Its on the Rear Right side of the car, I have just picked one up from my local motor factors for about 17GBP, I need to remove the wheel from the car due to the size of the rear brakes, however I'm sure with smaller brakes you may be able to get to it. Although the actual connector is up behind the wheelarch lining which needs to be unbolted and pulled out of the way to gain access, so probably a wheels off job!

Hoping to fit mine in tomorrow morning!

Cheers
Dave
Appreciate 0