E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

08-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #2355
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Lol! You do sound as if you were bored out of your skull, ha ha! 3 hours over 2 days instead of over 1 day.....
Let's just say........ there was a LOT of idle time, and that's kind of understating it.
      08-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #2356
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Aside from the ridiculous abundance of rare blue Golf Rs, it was OK. But ... just ok. We got about 3 hours of track time in the 2 days - except because I haven't tracked with BMWQC in a while, I had to have an instructor for day 1, whose session was right before mine and he always did the full time and then measured tire temperatures. Very nice guy, so no hate, but that was easily 5+ mins lost per 30 min session. The sessions were also very randomly spread out - almost 2 hours between sessions. Overall, when gas to go home is considered (I returned home on day 1 and came back in the morning), or when hotel costs are considered, value-wise, Viper is significantly better - especially if you go out with lower groups to double your track time. I like BMWQC, but I think I feel I've graduated from them, despite there being some really awesome instructors there.

P.S. I also almost ran out of gas on the last session (had 4L again so the car started choking). lol.
I agree, we did not have huge track time at this event.

It was unusual to have racers with BMWCQ. Usually we run four 25-30 minute sessions each day. The racers took away some of our track time, but I do believe the registration fees were a bit lower for this event though...

It was great to see you guys at the track
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #2357
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Let's just say........ there was a LOT of idle time, and that's kind of understating it.
How did your mods perform?
      08-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2358
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4 & 2013 F30 328xi

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
2011 Audi A4 Avant  [10.00]
Had a decent two days. Even though I had some extra mods my times were not that much better. I'm glad I went with my instructor for my first run on the 2nd day as she pointed two problem areas.

Voila! Back in the 1:58's on the last session of the day. Got close to the 1:57 time!!!
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #2359
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos335i View Post
Had a decent two days. Even though I had some extra mods my times were not that much better. I'm glad I went with my instructor for my first run on the 2nd day as she pointed two problem areas.

Voila! Back in the 1:58's on the last session of the day. Got close to the 1:57 time!!!
that is awesome! what were u doing that were problematic?
      08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #2360
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Btw glad to see Jerry back on the track since he seems to miss many event with all of his little mishaps!!!

Antony has found a new liking to tracking again!

Nice to see Glen, had been a while.

Our new giant also passed by (evochuck), George is no longer the big guy on campus anymore.

I used to feel pretty tall at 6'2"!!!
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2361
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth
Quote:

that is awesome! what were u doing that were problematic?
Too much braking in between 10 and 11. Also my line after the front straight wasn't the best towards the uphill section. Corrected both those things.

My second session today went a little slower concentrated on the lines. And last one decided to give it a go and paid off.

Looking forward to next month at Watkins Glen.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #2362
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Too much braking in between 10 and 11. Also my line after the front straight wasn't the best towards the uphill section. Corrected both those things.

My second session today went a little slower concentrated on the lines. And last one decided to give it a go and paid off.

Looking forward to next month at Watkins Glen.
I am familiar with too much braking at 10. I should be carrying 10-20 kms more there, if not more....
      08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #2363
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I agree, we did not have huge track time at this event.

It was unusual to have racers with BMWCQ. Usually we run four 25-30 minute sessions each day. The racers took away some of our track time, but I do believe the registration fees were a bit lower for this event though...

It was great to see you guys at the track
I just realised I didn't get a chance to meet you, doh!!!!!!!!! Wanted to go for a ride with you, could have learned a lot. Oh well. Next time

Quote:
How did your mods perform?
Pretty well! But times didn't improve at all, I think, or anyway, I have to review the video, because stupid Harry's LapTimer crashed every time after 10am, so I only had one session logged today, and the times were significantly worse than with Viper because of all the traffic. So my new brake pads did nothing to improve my time, and the coilovers did nothing, too. In the afternoon, though, I had maybe one or two clear laps with no traffic, so I hope my GoPro's battery survived the heat and filmed something...... my data logging this event was absolutely abysmal.
      08-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #2364
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
I am familiar with too much braking at 10. I should be carrying 10-20 kms more there, if not more....
I still haven't figured out where the ideal braking zone is for me. I carry far, far more speed on the approach than on the 335 (the 335 would max out at around 185, but on the R I've done 210'ish), but on the other hand, I've also found that if I have time to look at the speedo, I'm doing something wrong. So I guess I should trust my GPS/OBD data from Harry's LapTimer........ OH WAIT IT DIDN'T WORK $%&^$%rtgdfsd
      08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #2365
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just realised I didn't get a chance to meet you, doh!!!!!!!!! Wanted to go for a ride with you, could have learned a lot. Oh well. Next time

Pretty well! But times didn't improve at all, I think, or anyway, I have to review the video, because stupid Harry's LapTimer crashed every time after 10am, so I only had one session logged today, and the times were significantly worse than with Viper because of all the traffic. So my new brake pads did nothing to improve my time, and the coilovers did nothing, too. In the afternoon, though, I had maybe one or two clear laps with no traffic, so I hope my GoPro's battery survived the heat and filmed something...... my data logging this event was absolutely abysmal.
I can see how this wasn't ideal for you, yikes...

Quote:
I still haven't figured out where the ideal braking zone is for me. I carry far, far more speed on the approach than on the 335 (the 335 would max out at around 185, but on the R I've done 210'ish), but on the other hand, I've also found that if I have time to look at the speedo, I'm doing something wrong. So I guess I should trust my GPS/OBD data from Harry's LapTimer........ OH WAIT IT DIDN'T WORK $%&^$%rtgdfsd
Top speed doesn't say all, as you reach it only for a brief instant! Corner entry/exit speed at 10 will dictate the time it takes to get to 12. Combined, I feel the latter has more bearing than top speed reached before 10.

I sometimes get up to 220 before 10 (surprising ya?), but I am not fast to 12, because I give up too much braking at 10. Unconsciously perhaps because of lots of rolling at 10
      08-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #2366
Evochuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 09

Quote:
Btw glad to see Jerry back on the track since he seems to miss many event with all of his little mishaps!!!

Antony has found a new liking to tracking again!

Nice to see Glen, had been a while.

Our new giant also passed by (evochuck), George is no longer the big guy on campus anymore.

I used to feel pretty tall at 6'2"!!!
I was great meeting you guys, looking forward to the next coffee and cars!

Hopefully its in Mirabel
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #2367
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Aside from the ridiculous abundance of rare blue Golf Rs, it was OK. But ... just ok. We got about 3 hours of track time in the 2 days - except because I haven't tracked with BMWQC in a while, I had to have an instructor for day 1, whose session was right before mine and he always did the full time and then measured tire temperatures. Very nice guy, so no hate, but that was easily 5+ mins lost per 30 min session. The sessions were also very randomly spread out - almost 2 hours between sessions. Overall, when gas to go home is considered (I returned home on day 1 and came back in the morning), or when hotel costs are considered, value-wise, Viper is significantly better - especially if you go out with lower groups to double your track time. I like BMWQC, but I think I feel I've graduated from them, despite there being some really awesome instructors there.

P.S. I also almost ran out of gas on the last session (had 4L again so the car started choking). lol.
No reason at all for an instructor to cut your track time. You should have mentionned it to him. He would/should have finished his sessions 5 mins earlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #2368
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Lol! You do sound as if you were bored out of your skull, ha ha! 3 hours over 2 days instead of over 1 day.....
You should know the difference in the type of the event. A lapping event and a HPDE event are 2 different things. You sign up for what you want.

to practice your technique (or repeat bad technique) or to learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #2369
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
You should know the difference in the type of the event. A lapping event and a HPDE event are 2 different things. You sign up for what you want.

to practice your technique (or repeat bad technique) or to learn.
This is not necessarily true. Once the instructor signs you off at an HPDE (or if you come signed off), then it's in no way different from a lapping event where you simply ask someone to ride with you if you want, and otherwise ride alone.
      08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #2370
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is not necessarily true. Once the instructor signs you off at an HPDE (or if you come signed off), then it's in no way different from a lapping event where you simply ask someone to ride with you if you want, and otherwise ride alone.
Signing off isn't obligatory. You can ask the instructor not to sign you off, or at least to be with you during the whole event. If you are looking to be signed off as quickly as possible to lap by yourself, then a HPDE event isn't for you.

If you are looking to be lapping without instruction, why would you pay for the HPDE event?

Anyways, with the number of events I have been to, HPDE events have far less accidents than lapping events (ie viperclub, PhoenixCMR).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2371
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Signing off isn't obligatory. You can ask the instructor not to sign you off, or at least to be with you during the whole event. If you are looking to be signed off as quickly as possible to lap by yourself, then a HPDE event isn't for you.

If you are looking to be lapping without instruction, why would you pay for the HPDE event?

Anyways, with the number of events I have been to, HPDE events have far less accidents than lapping events (ie viperclub, PhoenixCMR).
Because I always HOPE for an instructor that I can learn from, but I always wind up with people who tell me more or less what I already know. It's a tricky proposition, but I think I only had one instructor that I really appreciated so far - and by luck, I had him twice - but other than that, I keep getting really nice guys and gals, but I get very few real pointers from them, and I am not enough of a dick to walk up to Percy and ask him to assign me another instructor, so I just get the sign off and move on with life.

Quite agree on the accidents, though.
      08-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #2372
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Because I always HOPE for an instructor that I can learn from, but I always wind up with people who tell me more or less what I already know. It's a tricky proposition, but I think I only had one instructor that I really appreciated so far - and by luck, I had him twice - but other than that, I keep getting really nice guys and gals, but I get very few real pointers from them, and I am not enough of a dick to walk up to Percy and ask him to assign me another instructor, so I just get the sign off and move on with life.

Quite agree on the accidents, though.
I get it... So I hope you fill out those Instructor evaluation forms.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #2373
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
I get it... So I hope you fill out those Instructor evaluation forms.
Still... I don't mean to be mean. They do this for free (well, for the cost of the track day), and some of them come from FAR, so the last thing I'd want to do is be unappreciative in any way. I dunno. It's a very fine line as far as I'm concerned. I'll write something, though.
      08-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #2374
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Still... I don't mean to be mean. They do this for free (well, for the cost of the track day), and some of them come from FAR, so the last thing I'd want to do is be unappreciative in any way. I dunno. It's a very fine line as far as I'm concerned. I'll write something, though.
Behind the scenes BMW Club wants you to be as critical (constructively) as you can be. It will help BMW Club cultivate the new/next generation of instructors and retool the existing ones.
      08-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #2375
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Behind the scenes BMW Club wants you to be as critical (constructively) as you can be. It will help BMW Club cultivate the new/next generation of instructors and retool the existing ones.
Agreed.

We now have a new training program for new instructors. It has only started about 3 years ago. Before, as long as you were decent at driving and reasonably quick you could become an instructor. With the new program, candidates need to go through a 1 to 2 year training plan that focuses much more on teaching skills and communication. You also need to be good at feeling the car from the passenger seat and figure out what is not right. Attitude is also very important. Not everyone passes. It is not because you are a good driver that you can be a good teacher or coach. I feel the later promoted instructors are much better prepared.

So yes, your feedback is important so we can progressively weed out the less competent instructors and improve the overall quality of our HPDEs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #2376
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Agreed.

We now have a new training program for new instructors. It has only started about 3 years ago. Before, as long as you were decent at driving and reasonably quick you could become an instructor. With the new program, candidates need to go through a 1 to 2 year training plan that focuses much more on teaching skills and communication. You also need to be good at feeling the car from the passenger seat and figure out what is not right. Attitude is also very important. Not everyone passes. It is not because you are a good driver that you can be a good teacher or coach. I feel the later promoted instructors are much better prepared.

So yes, your feedback is important so we can progressively weed out the less competent instructors and improve the overall quality of our HPDEs
Yes, definitely harder to become an instructor! I know 2 of them who are in the training program currently and they confirm it is quite difficult....