E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > How to Code Your Vehicle - for FREE

01-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
DIY - How to Code Your Vehicle - for FREE

If you plan to provide coding services for friends and family, consider using this Liability Waiver. I drafted it quickly and with haste so you should double check =]

Please help the community out by updating Neutrino45's spreadsheet whenever possible. Reference below for more details.

FAQ Last Updated - 9/19/2011

.::FAQ::.
(click links for more information)
  1. What do I need to get started? Any laptop and a R232--OBD2 / USB--OBD2 Cable
    • This is the cable to purchase - $99. If you decide to purchase a different brand--YMMV: the Master thread and this FAQ assume the above-linked cable is purchased. It looks like this:
    • Choosing a quality cable is important otherwise you will have intermittent connectivity and other connectivity issues.
    • Comparison of other cables HERE. Response HERE; Owner chimes in HERE
    • Laptop can be x64 or x32 platform. x64: there is driver support but programs may not work properly--YMMV
    • Windows 7 compatibility confirmed--XP compatability mode not required.
    • XP also works ofc.
    • If you're using Vista go to hell. (edit: this is a joke, Windows 7 and Vista share very similar architecture...except Vista sucks)
  2. What else do I need?
    NCSExpert, Inpa, Ediabas. Download here | MediaFire Mirror
  3. Is this really hard to do??
    No.
    All you need is common sense. Reference the original thread if you have any further questions; thanks to xxxjecxxx and the community for laying all the ground work so it's easy peasy for the rest of us. Your R&D is truly appreciated.
  4. Ok I bought the cable, now what?
    Follow xxxjecxxx's PDF guide. Download here | MediaFire Mirror
  5. Why does xxxjecxxx insist on the airbag test in INPA before NCSEXPERT?? I can't get it to work, I'm stuck!
    Many who could not get it to work just skip this preliminary step. Here is why xxxjecxxx recommends it. Also make sure you are using INPALOAD.EXE.
  6. Ummm I'm getting a communication error?
    Make sure you are using the correct drivers. The ones in "\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD\USB2.0 Win XP" will not work because you are essentially using a third party cable. | MediaFire Mirror
  7. FIFO must be enabled? Tx and Rx set to "8"?? The hell is this, I don't have these options in my COM settings?
    The newer FTDI drivers do not have this feature. It's fine. It'll work. Just lower latency to "1". Leave rest default. If you decide to get the drivers straight from FTDI, reference this post for some clarification. | Update: Ok, technically the FIFO options still exist...but in registry, reference this post.
  8. Hmmm still not working. What gives?
    Reference this INPA FAQ | MediaFire Mirror
  9. Ok, ok. So I connected and stuff but when I press F1 it asks me to enter my VIN?
    After you load FSW PSW MAN, press F2 to load chassis (e89). After you select chassis (e89), press F1. Then press F3. Select CAS. Your VIN will be read and loaded. Now press F6 to go back. Select module. Read ECU.
  10. Can anyone tell me why I can not get into the CIC module??? everything else works fine.
    Update your Daten files.
    1. Download ISTA v42
    2. Update Daten Files - Reference this post
    3. THAT'S IT. Follow below ONLY if you have RETROFITTED your CIC.
    4. #0909 - FA_Write to CAS and FRM. Use #0910 if Combox.
    5. $609 - FA_Write to CAS and FRM
    6. $6VA - FA_Write to CAS and FRM
    7. now NCSExpert can read your CIC.
    8. If need more help/details reference this thread
  11. Whew! So I followed the guide, and I'm getting the hang of it...but is there a list of values somewhere? Don't really speak or read German...namsayin'
    Yes. Here is the spreadsheet------courtesy of Neutrino45 (and Genepool for implementation) and continually updated by the community.
  12. I screwed something up! Something is wrong with my vehicle! I wish I can just undo everything!
    Use the Expert Profile to code car back to OEM specs outlined in the VO. Do NOT use a blank .MAN file to return to stock settings. It is absolutely the wrong way to work.
  13. I just retrofitted my CIC and my Vehicle Info has some missing fields!
    Use the Expert Profile to code KOMBI module after Daten files have been updated. See below:

14. Alright, I see the value I want to change when viewing the main CAS module in FSW_PSW.TRC (~220 KB) but I just can't find it in any of the sub-modules!
    *Proceed at Your Own Risk* --> It's actually not completely necessary to go hunting for the values in each module. Make the changes you desire in FSW_PSW.TRC and rename it as FSW_PSW.MAN as usual. But instead of clicking "Process ECU", click "Process car" (F3), and then "Code Car" (F1).

***MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY***

Potential Risk - here is that you don't want your battery to run out as you recode every module.

***WARNING!*** - Known Risk - Reference this initial post. Also, please reference this followup post. <-- Solution #1 | Solution #2 <- DO NOT Use Blank MAN, Code with Expert Mode; Reference ABOVE

I have not personally fully coded an e90 this way since I throw an error at the second sub-module (see video below), but I have coded an e65 in this manner, which has 2-4x the number of modules. It went pretty quickly...2-3 minutes tops.

15. How long will it take for my cable to arrive?
    First cable took 12 days. Second cable took 14 days.

16. Having some trouble with COM port set up. Help? Disconnect from internet. Connect usb cable. It will prompt. Just cancel. Go to Device Manager. Right click-->Update Driver. Point to download directory. After installation, go back to Device Manager as shown below. Don't forget to select COM 1.

17. I read the PDF...holy shit! The setup process seems long. I'm lazy... Only need to do it once. Actual coding, assuming you already know the values to change, will take less than 5 minutes.

Video to Come...

Last edited by AoshichanX; 10-20-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Im not trying to start an argument but just stating my opinion.

Vendors charge because they're providing a service and that's what the market is about. Sure they could do it for free and everyone would be happy but their specialty/occupation is providing services and selling goods. Also, no one is forced to go through a vendor. If they truely wanted to code their cars without paying then they could do THEIR own research and use THEIR own time. The vendors offer this SERVICE for people who don't know what to do because they aren't good with computers and aren't sure how to get everything working. They also provide this for the people who don't have the time and just want to get it done and are willing to pay a fee for a SERVICE being provided.

Again, I'm just stating my opinion and not trying to cause any problems. Also, thanks for the info because now I can do it myself. I've been too lazy to do the research.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Truong View Post
Im not trying to start an argument but just stating my opinion.

Vendors charge because they're providing a service and that's what the market is about. Sure they could do it for free and everyone would be happy but their specialty/occupation is providing services and selling goods. Also, no one is forced to go through a vendor. If they truely wanted to code their cars without paying then they could do THEIR own research and use THEIR own time. The vendors offer this SERVICE for people who don't know what to do because they aren't good with computers and aren't sure how to get everything working. They also provide this for the people who don't have the time and just want to get it done and are willing to pay a fee for a SERVICE being provided.

Again, I'm just stating my opinion and not trying to cause any problems. Also, thanks for the info because now I can do it myself. I've been too lazy to do the research.

You are right nobody is forced to go to a vendor. But I can manipulate the price.

Market price = willing Buyer and willing Seller.

If you increase awareness of the Buyer then the Bargaining Power of Buyer increases. Once Bargaining Power of buyer increases as they understand there are alternatives, the perceived value of a particular service or good, in this case coding, goes down.

And as we all know, unless you have a fantastically unique product, e90post is a Buyer's market. So *****s better recognize.

Either way, I achieved my objective--successfully providing an alternative and increasing Buyer awareness. =]
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
You are right nobody is forced to go to a vendor. But I can manipulate the price.

If you increase awareness of the Buyer then the Bargaining Power of Buyer increases. Once Bargaining Power of buyer increases as they understand there are alternatives, the perceived value of a particular service or good, in this case coding, goes down.

And as we all know, unless you have a fantastically unique product, e90post is a Buyer's market. So *****s better recognize.

Either way, I achieved my objective--successfully providing an alternative and increasing Buyer awareness. =]
Definitely! Buyers need to be aware of alternatives. Also, this is how market works and reacts to changes. Enough of business talk though. Haha. Thanks again for the links!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
DoPedUpM3
El Carpe Diem
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Turbo/ 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Might wanna post this in DIY section? Great work though!
08' AW e92 335i 6mt, Performance sterring wheel (non-electric)/ Performance SSK/ M-tec wheel trim/ BMS DCI/ Bimmian Interior LEDs/ Side-marker LEDs/ WeissLicht PY24 LED Turn Signal/ GPThunder/ Debadge/ Painted reflectors/ Matte black grills/ Aero front lip/ Rear bumper/ Stock.. much more fun to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Truong View Post
Definitely! Buyers need to be aware of alternatives. Also, this is how market works and reacts to changes. Enough of business talk though. Haha. Thanks again for the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoPedUpM3 View Post
Might wanna post this in DIY section?
This is specifically targeted to Cali owners to increase awareness and reduce the perceived value of a particular service =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoPedUpM3 View Post
Great work though!
all credit goes to the magnificent giving tree known as the e90post community.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Great write up, thanks for taking the time to help out members of the E90post community.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

That is ashame to not share this info on the community. I am glad this info is now public.

However, I would caution those who charge a small fee for coding b/c we need to ask ourselves is it really worth $10 for this if we accidentally brick someone car in the process of coding. Then you have a bigger financial problem on your hand. If I was to code someone's car, i would make them sign an agreement that i am not responsible if something goes wrong in the coding process. That is just me being cautious and not really aimed toward anyone.
      01-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
This ^^^^^^^ +100
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
That is ashame to not share this info on the community. I am glad this info is now public.

However, I would caution those who charge a small fee for coding b/c we need to ask ourselves is it really worth $10 for this if we accidentally brick someone car in the process of coding. Then you have a bigger financial problem on your hand. If I was to code someone's car, i would make them sign an agreement that i am not responsible if something goes wrong in the coding process. That is just me being cautious and not really aimed toward anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
This ^^^^^^^ +100

OP updated with link to liability waiver =]
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

AoshichanX, thanks for the DIY guide! Now that it's posted in the right section, this will help spread the knowledge! Thanks again!

All, please post your questions in the master thread to get the best support and be sure to contribute to the spreadsheet by marking the year of car you've coded or by adding additional features to code.
      01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
n54-5&3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535

Once you have the ODB2 hooked to a laptop, does anyone know of logging software you can use to create data logs?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

Great job AoshichanX !!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Amlethae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Worth pointing out that, for the time being, N55 engines w/Procede cannot be coded until Procede updates their firmware/software.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Vista works. I have it and got it to work. Takes some time and setting up the drivers but it does fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Abenitez
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92 335is 2012

Garage List
2012 335is  [0.00]
More than true! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post

2012 E92 335is -M Sport Package- 19in M Rims- Black Sapphire Metallic/ Coral Red / Glaciar trim, Rear diffuser. Black Grille, 5% window tint. K&N drop in Air filter. Scarlett
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Can anyone confirm that there haven't been any changes in the 2011 E92 LCI that would prevent this from working?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I cant get through the part where it reads my Vin and FA. It will read my vin but then it says FA_fehler

This is starting to make me wanna destroy little things
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix View Post
I cant get through the part where it reads my Vin and FA. It will read my vin but then it says FA_fehler

This is starting to make me wanna destroy little things
Screenshot of error?

Is it an IHF-0003 or IHF-0009 error?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
My cable arrived in 14 days fwiw.