E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > First HDPE Event. Cooling Suggestions?

06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
illrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

First HDPE Event. Cooling Suggestions?

So I did my first HPDE event this weekend at the East track at Firebird Raceway in Chandler, AZ. I've got a FBO 2008 E90 335i with stock sports suspension.

Saturday consisted of 3 - 15 minutes heats. The first one was mainly just getting familiar with the track. The second session got a little bit faster with more instructor feedback. Then the third session got even more fast paced, but it was around about 103 degrees at that time.

At this point I noticed my oil temps were running around 270 and my power kept going away and I would loose all boost. Looks like the JB4 was continuously cutting the power in order to prevent the car from going into limp mode. I would slow down and take it easy, and power would come back on, but then kick right back off after I started driving it hard for a little bit. At the end of the day I got bumped up to HPDE2.

Sunday was 3-15 minute sessions as well, however, this time I was a lot more family with the track and my car. Even during my first session at 7:00 AM when it was about 80 out I was hitting oil temps around 270 and kept experiencing sudden power lost again. This happened for all three sessions. It put a damper on the day, but I still feel I learned a lot and got plenty of experience.

I really enjoyed the event and plan on tracking as much as I can. I was originally going to upgrade to some coil overs, but it looks like the oil cooler is going to have to be the first upgrade. What are everyone's experiences with the different brands? Being in Arizona and seeing frequent 100+ temperatures, I was thinking the ER Competition dual oil cooler would be the way to go. I also read somewhere that certain people claim an upgraded radiator would be a better first choice in order to help cool the engine block, which in turn would help reduce the oil temps as well.

Any suggestions? Would an upgraded radiator or dual oil cooler be the way to go?

Also, I ran just DCT on, and noticed traction control kicking in real hard around pretty much every turn, which made the exits a lot slower than they could have been. I am assuming an LSD would the best route to go to help power out of the turns?

Thanks for the help!

CJ
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Start reading the sticky limp mode party thread. More info there than I could ever possibly write here.
      06-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
illrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yea I'm reading through it right now. only 6 pages through though! I'll get through the rest of it this week.

I wish I had paid more attention to the coolant temps over the weekend during the races, but I was more focused on the oil temps. I did notice, however, last night during my 90 mile, 80 mph highway cruise, that my coolant temps were staying around 200-210 while my oil temps were around 240. I am currently running stock coolant, whatever BMW put in, and I am running Castrol Syntec Edge 10w40.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
illrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally finished the sticky.

Does Stett still offer the stage 2 oil cooler setup for the 335i? I haven't seemed to be able to find it anywhere.
Appreciate 0