E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > ALPINE HID Angel Eye Kit... Full review and DIY

03-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

ALPINE HID Angel Eye Kit... Full review and DIY

Hey guys,
I finally ordered the new 8k Alpine HID angel eyes kit and since it was such a nice day today in Philadelphia (65 degrees) I decided to put them in and do a write up on the instal and product.

#1 As a vendor I really appreciate great customer service and Alex@Alpine was very very helpful and patient with me. He even said I could call him on his cell and he would walk me through the instal if I had any questions. Talk about customer service!

One of the reasons I ordered this kit was because it looks really clean. I saw my friends HId kit (Camaross) and although its a quality kit it just wasnt clean enough for me. There were too many things sticking out and wrapped in electrical tape. Another reason is of course the price. 190$ is a steal for these.

Anyways the instal took me about an hour but thats because I have huge hands and it took me 30 minutes to get the bulb in the passenger side housing. Once I figured it out the drivers side took me 2 minutes. Its hard to explain how I held the bulb but I will try later on when I get to that step.

The shipping from CA to PA took only 3 day which is awesome and it came nicely packed. In it came all the wiring, two ballasts, two bulbs, some gloves and a bunch of zip ties and double sided tape

Here are some before pics with my GP thunders. This is at 2:30 pm..

First unplug the battery, next find the positive and ground bolts in the engine bay (shown) Just pull the cap off the red power wires. TIP: disconnect the washer fluid tube by pressing in the tab and pulling the whole thing upwards. This will make connecting the Red power cable and the black ground cable a lot easier

Undo the three 10mm bolts as shown. Then pass the wires under to the front near the headlight. Switch bolt 1 and 2 (as shown in the second picture). In the picture they are already switched so just know that the larger bolt will eventually hold the resistor box. Also I zip-tied the fuse box to one of the cables to make it look clean and secure it.

Next, Take off the top off of the drivers side light panel and take out your current angel eye bulb. TIME TO PUT ON YOUR GLOVES. The oil from your hand will cause the lights to burst when they turn on. To take out the h8 bulb just turn it clockwise and pull out. Take the harness that WAS connected to your previous bulb and connect it to the resistor that you just bolted down. Make sure that the Black side of the plug connects to the same side of the OLD plug that has two wires. The side with ONE wire should connect to the red side of the resistor plug. Use the Double sided tape and put a bunch on the back of the ballast. Try to find a flat piece to stick the ballast to, I used the obvious flat piece of metal shown in the pics. Connect the wires from the NEW HID bulb to the separated wires connected to the ballasts. Connect the plug to the short plug that comes from the power cable kit (its black and yellow and there are two of them).

[/IMG]

Pass the next long plug ((black and yellow)connected to the power/ground/resistor harness) towards the front of the car and underneath the front air intake tubes. There are two little clips that you can use to hold the long cable and you can also use the zip ties to make it look cleaner.

On the other side, do the same process as you did on the passenger side. On this side I double side taped the ballast as well as the little box that connects to the new bulbs for a cleaner look. Also note that the resistor that connects to the OLD H8 (angel eye) bulb harness, doesnt connect to anything else. It can also fit inside the headlight housing. Again make sure the black resistor wire goes with the side that has two wires and the red power side goes to the side where there is only one wire (pictured)

Here are some after shots taken with a much faster shutter speed. Without the faster shutter speed it kinda looked like a big flash of light. I also tried to take pics at night but the lights are so bright I couldnt get a good picture.

BEFORE/AFTER (gp thunders are bottom left - HID's are top right)

In conclusion this is a wonderful product, from a great company with friendly and attentive customer service and fast shipping. Great bang for the buck! Let me know if you have any questions. GO BUY THESE!

P.S the lights look blueish but they arent. In real life they are really really white. I dont see that much blue at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
iggyg52785
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i coupe

those look very clean! I want to order a pair of them but just a couple of questions...I dont know much about headlights. With this kit does that cover the daytime running lights, the brights and all. Also if I have adaptive headlights...I think thats what they are called, will my lights still turn when I turn the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
great DIY
but how did you see these as less of a hassle than the Camaross kit?
it looks exactly the same, same electrical tape wrapped resistor etc

and i'll give you a great hint
i have my ballast, ignitor inside my headlight
i'd had it like this for over 6 months and no problems
even once driving all the way from south carolina (BMW performance school) back to DC
5.5 hours with lights on
no overheating or anything
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyg52785 View Post
those look very clean! I want to order a pair of them but just a couple of questions...I dont know much about headlights. With this kit does that cover the daytime running lights, the brights and all. Also if I have adaptive headlights...I think thats what they are called, will my lights still turn when I turn the steering wheel?
These angel eyes are the daytime running lights. They are very visible during the day, almost if not the same brightness as those audi LED's. I believe you have 3 or 4 bulbs in your head lights that are used for different things. This HID kit replaces the Angel Eye bulb. It doesn't affect the adaptive headlight, high beam, or the cornering bulbs. They will act just like they do now.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
great DIY
but how did you see these as less of a hassle than the Camaross kit?
it looks exactly the same, same electrical tape wrapped resistor etc

and i'll give you a great hint
i have my ballast, ignitor inside my headlight
i'd had it like this for over 6 months and no problems
even once driving all the way from south carolina (BMW performance school) back to DC
5.5 hours with lights on
no overheating or anything
Thanks! The circuitry is a little bit different on this kit so the resistors are smaller. I dont have a lot of experience with the Camaross kit but from what I saw on my friends car it didnt look clean. maybe it was just a bad install o his part. Either way even if they are the same thing this kit is less expensive and also has a different way of signaling the lights. I dont know about this in depth but it has something to do with stopping any surges of power back towards the car.

Also one of my resistors is in my headlight (driver side). Im sure they are designed to be able to withstand a lot of heat. i hope
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
mr.e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Hey how do u fit the new hid bulb??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
sorry...way too damn bright for my taste... stick with my LED MTeC's Great review and DIY though. Awesome reviews and helpful DIY's with great photos make it easier for others
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquez2428 View Post
Hey how do u fit the new hid bulb??
I took two pictures of how I held the bulb to get it in. Getting the bulb in that hole is definitely the hardest part of the job IMO. As you can see in the pictures i am holding a highlighter but the point is for you to see how I held the light. So pretend that the base of the HID bulb is the Yellow or Top part of the Highlighter. I held it in between my middle and index finger. The White part of the highlighter is the bulb part. I was wearing gloves during the instal so that my skin wouldn't touch the bulb. Then while holding the bulb like shown I squeezed my hand down and back into the space behind the hole where the light goes and used my index and middle fingers to move the base and the light up and into the hole. So pretty much you are pushing the bulb down into the space behind the headlight hole and then pointing it up while pushing it into the hole.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
sorry...way too damn bright for my taste... stick with my LED MTeC's Great review and DIY though. Awesome reviews and helpful DIY's with great photos make it easier for others
No worries man, to each his own. I love the Angel Eyes as I think they represent BMW. No matter how much you know about cars, almost everyone knows that when you are driving and you see those Halos, a BMW is coming your way. Now I can compete with those damn Audi LED's
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
mr.e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I dnt wqnt to be much of a pest but do u think can take a pic of how the bulb looks in the headlight?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquez2428 View Post
I dnt wqnt to be much of a pest but do u think can take a pic of how the bulb looks in the headlight?
lol.. i was about to say no but luckily I did take a couple pics so here you go.. Its kind of self explanatory considering they can only go in one way:

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
AJ@ECSMotorsports
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice write up man.. lookin' good!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@ECSMotorsports View Post
Nice write up man.. lookin' good!
Thanks man..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The rings look great! Do you notice any blobbing of the rings in the evening or at night with these HIDs?

Nice DIY btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ I read about that and I was afraid of that affect but sI actually havent noticed that at all. Ofcourse when you take pictures you get a huge blob, and maybe if you are looking at the car from far away it might be blobbing but I really havent noticed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #16
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i

I took this white ring off and scoot the red diaphragm to the end of the unit, where the white rings used to be, will that be ok??

I thought white ring was part of the bulb container, so I just took it off...

Like in the graph...

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs135i View Post
I took this white ring off and scoot the red diaphragm to the end of the unit, where the white rings used to be, will that be ok??

I thought white ring was part of the bulb container, so I just took it off...

Like in the graph...

hmm.. if the bulb fits snuggly for you then sure. I dont know if I was supposed to tak it off or not but my bulb is in there nice and tight. I may take a look at it tomorrow to see, thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i

^^
I wasn't able to plug in the bulb very easily at first with the white ring on, and after I took it off, it fitted into it and tightly as well, so I hope it's fine. I'm going to seal the back cover better, too, in order to prevent any water to damage the adaptive light mechanism. It'd be a pain to remove all the work done and take it to the dealership to get it replaced under warranty. I was impressed by how much pain I had to bear with that passenger side cover, heh!

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
Hazard83190
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI

Garage List
nice
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Speaking from personal experience DO NOT USE those foamy double sided tape, your ballast will fall off and you will distroy them...

I used 3M INDUSTRIAL Double sided tape instead, its more like a putty kinda double sided tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

wow those are so bright!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #22
RaPiDneSs
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

2006 BMW 325i

Hi, im new to the forums. And also new to all these DIY guides. I've never worked with the mechanics of any automobile. Nor have ever owned a BMW. But leaning towards getting a 2006 325i. Would these HID Angel Eyes work with that model? Can't wait to buy my new baby
Appreciate 0