E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW convenience "tricks"

08-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #89
lelloarena
Registered
Rep
Drives: E-90

hi everybody. I was coding the welcome light feature on e90 '06, now the fm radio is grayed out, I believe I did something with DAB. Please help
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #90
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Also does the sunroof too.

And works with comfort access - just leave your finger resting on the door handle when locking the car, and all the openings (windows, sunroof) close.

D.
It's even better with the E93 as this same trick works with the folding roof. It's great to show off with. Hold the fob button as you walk up to the car and it does it's folding roof party trick, jump in the car, put on your sunnies and drive off with the roof down.

It also works in reverse. Park up, get out and hold the button to put up the roof. Had a family sitting outside a cafe the other day when I did this and the kids response "Wooww, dad it's like a transformer. why doesn't our car do that"?

I do remember someone mentioning that you could get the folding roof to go up partway when it was down so you can get easier access to the boot, does anyone know how this is done?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #91
swhoyle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D

Today I noticed that when the fuel light comes on, the display automatically swaps to "miles of fuel remaining" view ... I thought that was a nice touch
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #92
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
It's even better with the E93 as this same trick works with the folding roof. It's great to show off with. Hold the fob button as you walk up to the car and it does it's folding roof party trick, jump in the car, put on your sunnies and drive off with the roof down.

It also works in reverse. Park up, get out and hold the button to put up the roof. Had a family sitting outside a cafe the other day when I did this and the kids response "Wooww, dad it's like a transformer. why doesn't our car do that"?

I do remember someone mentioning that you could get the folding roof to go up partway when it was down so you can get easier access to the boot, does anyone know how this is done?
page 29 in the manual 'convertible convenient loading'.
Press the boot button on the fob twice. The second time should be within one second and you should hold it. When its done operating, the boot clicks open apparently. I'll try it later today.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #93
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Press the boot button on the fob twice. The second time should be within one second and you should hold it. When its done operating, the boot clicks open apparently. I'll try it later today.
Aha, ok thanks. I'll give it a go this evening too. Will come in very handy on those trips to Tesco's if it works
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #94
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW
Didnt know what else to call this thread but i've noticed a few nice convenient tricks, so i wondered what you BMW pros also knew. Things such as:
  • When you switch your car off and press the "Rest" button it turns on the air con for about 10 mins.
  • You can change the indicator flash from 1 to 3 flashes.
  • In a dark car park, press your close button on your key and the interior lights turn on.
  • Turn off your car and pull the lights lever will turn on the headlights for about 40 seconds (again in a car park you can see where your going)

Do you guys know any others?
I know this is 5 years old but has anyone ever read the conditions for the 'Rest' button?

From what i can remember it's something like:

- After the engine has been running fora certain amount of time
- It has to be a certain temp outside
- Only on a full moon etc
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #95
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator
Quote:
Aha, ok thanks. I'll give it a go this evening too. Will come in very handy on those trips to Tesco's if it works
It works, I don't think I'll want to keep using it though. I like the operation to work from one end to the other not stop half way and possible damage something.

Once you're done with the boot you need to press and hold the unlock button to make the top go back in the boot before closing it fully.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #96
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It works, I don't think I'll want to keep using it though. I like the operation to work from one end to the other not stop half way and possible damage something.

Once you're done with the boot you need to press and hold the unlock button to make the top go back in the boot before closing it fully.
Tried it too and it works. Will come in very handy. Not sure why you think it might damage something? The roof opens\closes in 3 distinct stages with a pause in between each stage anyway and this just takes it to stage 1 in the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #97
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Tried it too and it works. Will come in very handy. Not sure why you think it might damage something? The roof opens\closes in 3 distinct stages with a pause in between each stage anyway and this just takes it to stage 1 in the process.
My opinion about BMW quality has gone down recently with the cracked wheels and OBD issues. Im starting to wonder if the convertible mech has a maximum amount of uses before it needs replacing too, with the way they're behaving I wouldnt be surprised that they know that all it takes is one screw up to bodge up the mech.

as per my recent post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747442
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #98
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW View Post
Didnt know what else to call this thread but i've noticed a few nice convenient tricks, so i wondered what you BMW pros also knew. Things such as:
  • When you switch your car off and press the "Rest" button it turns on the air con for about 10 mins.
  • You can change the indicator flash from 1 to 3 flashes.
  • In a dark car park, press your close button on your key and the interior lights turn on.
  • Turn off your car and pull the lights lever will turn on the headlights for about 40 seconds (again in a car park you can see where your going)

Do you guys know any others?
How can i change my indicators from one flash to three flashes?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #99
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post

I thought all e9x had the3 flash indicators??
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #100
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Conditions for the RESt button working are simply enough heat in the engine and enough battery power to operate the heater. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #101
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
I thought all e9x had the3 flash indicators??
Not mine, mine is just one flash. Will flick through the dash menu's and see if i see any option to change.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #102
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
If you have iDrive you need to go to the main screen where the 'I' is in the middle circle and press down on the control to select. One of the top 3 options will allow you change the indicator function among other things.

Without iDrive?.... I dont know.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #103
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
If you have iDrive you need to go to the main screen where the 'I' is in the middle circle and press down on the control to select. One of the top 3 options will allow you change the indicator function among other things.

Without iDrive?.... I dont know.
No iDrive either. Must be in the menu somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #104
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

It is in there. Just can't remember where.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #105
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
non i drive models it displays on the menu on the dash were the clocks are, If you push the button on the end of the indicator stalk (Car can't be moving) Its in the settings 1 x flash or 3 x or maybe 6 x i think
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #106
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -shane- View Post
non i drive models it displays on the menu on the dash were the clocks are, If you push the button on the end of the indicator stalk (Car can't be moving) Its in the settings 1 x flash or 3 x or maybe 6 x i think
nice one, thanks for that.
Appreciate 0