E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > 335i Oil Pan Gasket

06-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
To All:

I just did my oil pan gasket : Here is my DIY

If you have a 335i –

You Will Need :
- 4 cans of brake cleaner
- Lots of paper towel
- Maybe pig mats
- Steel wool
- Emery cloth
- Kroil Oil
- New oil pan gasket
- New oil pan bolts
- New oil level sensor gasket
- Torx and e torx sockets
- Metric socket sets in a variety of sizes & drives
- drive, 3/8 drive and drive "thin" ratchets
- Really Small & Large torque wrench
- Metric wrench set.
- Lots of swivels and extensions ranging from ” to 6” in length
- A friend to help you mount the oil pan back into place
- 7.5 qts of oil and a new filter
- A weekend free of distractions
- Lots of patience.

Steps I took:

1) Remove the upper tray, which holds the cabin air filter
2) Remove the valve cover, plastic cover
3) Grind your tow hook down with a grinder so it will screw in all the way in the screw hole located near the oil filter housing assembly.
4) Screw in the tow hook
5) Draw a picture of the drive belt and pulleys
6) Set up engine support bar on the tow hook
7) Loosen up lug nuts on both front wheels
8) Put the car on 4 jack stands and remove front wheels; try and put it up at least 5 clicks up on your jack stands.
9) Remove the Belly pan and Transmission Pan
10) Remove the fan
11) Remove the drive belt with e60 torx socket & 18" power bar
12) Drain the oil and replace the filter
13) Unbolt the radiator pipe from the front of the subframe
14) Unbolt the power steering pump from the oil pan
15) Unbolt the transmission cooler lines from the oil pan in two places
16) Unbolt & unplug the headlight level sensor from the control arm on the drivers side.
17) Unbolt the sway bar from the subframe
18) Unbolt the power steering rack from the subframe
19) Place 2x4's under each disc brake
20) Unbolt the front struts
21) Wire or Hook the struts up so they just don’t hang there loose
22) Undo the brake lines from the strut assembly
23) Unbolt the black cross bar at its 4 outer bolts & the two center bolts.
24) Place a jack under the subframe where the jack point is
25) Unbolt the subframe with 18" socket and e torx socket; (6) 18" bolts and (4) e torx bolts
26) SLOWLY lower the subframe down and remove the jack.
27) Unbolt the 3 horizontal bolts located in the bell housing of the flywheel that holds the transmission to the oil Pan. There are 3 of them. 2 of them hold a clip that holds the O2 sensors wiring harness and oil level sensor wire. One of them is north of the clip I described above on the drivers side, and is sort of hard to get to.

28) Unclip the oil level sensor

29) Unbolt the many, many bolts that hold the oil pan to the engine and remove the oil plan.
30) Remove the Oil Level Sensor and gasket
31) Clean up the oil pan; use a brass brush and emery cloth or steel wool.
32) Make sure the area where the new gasket(s) will be is smooth as silk.
33) Run a bead of Ultra Black on the oil pan where the gasket will go. Place the gasket on the head of ultra black. Run another bead of Ultra Black on top of the gasket.
34) Re-install the oil level sensor with a new gasket. I highly suggest using Ultra Black in the manner described above!
35) Hold the oil pan gasket on w/ a zip tie or 2 (loosely) - optional
36) Clean up the gasket area on the engine with paper towel and brake cleaner. plus steel wool.
37) Clean up the bottom, part of the engine (subframe) with brake cleaner and paper towel.
38) Install the pan with maybe 8 bolts hand tight (snug); maybe 4 in the center and 2 on each corner.
39) Carefully snip and remove the zip ties.
40) Rebolt to hand tight the horizontal bolts on the bell housing that essentially bolt the pan to the rear main seal and hold the clip for the post-cat O2 sensors.
41) Install the rest of the oil pan bolts hand tight or snug
42) Starting at the center, cross work and tighten down with a small torque wrench to 8nm plus 90degrees and the large bolts, on the south end of the pan, to 8nm and 180 degrees; don’t forget the 3 horizontal bolts (they are reuseable).
43) Put the rest of the car back together using the suggested torque setting on the subframe and what not (A Bentley Repair Manual does Help) - DONT put the belly pan and transmission pan on yet.
44) Put new oil in; it may take you 7 1/2 qts of oil because you literally drained all the oil out of the engine.
42) Start the engine up and let run for 10 min. Check for leaks.
43) If all good, clean up the belly & trans pan with brake cleaner and good old fashioned soap and water and some elbow grease and reinstall
44) Get the car off jack stands and drive. Then re-check.

Ultra Black takes 24 hours to fully cure. Maybe don't start the engine up for 24 hours to check for leaks?

Also, consider other items that are old that might need to be proactively changed while your in there, like O2 sensors. They are really easy to get to once the subframe is dropped. If your over 100k or near it, change them.

Another item to consider, "while you are in there" is replacing the engine mounts. Especially, if you are over 125k. 335is mounts are a nice addition. Engine mounts are a really easy DIY when the subframe is out of the car.

The following DIY's helped guide me:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...et-replacement

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180020

One is on an n52 motor and one is on an n54 motor

Last edited by mweisdorfer; 06-19-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Great write up. Any reason why you didn't use any sealant for the gasket?
      08-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc
The original gasket lasted maybe 123,000 miles. So, I figured the way BMW put the gasket on originally was good enough for me, which was without an additional sealant like ultra black permatex gasket maker.

On the valve cover gasket DIY, yes absolutely I would use gasket sealer on the edge of the west side of the cylinder head as you face the car. This is because the engine tilts and thus the oil gathers at this side of the valve cover.

On the oil pan gasket, it's fairly level front to back and side to side. Also, the oil doesn't gather or sit where the engine meets the oil pan. So, really no need.

I don't plan on keeping the car till it hits 250,000. If it do, it will be a while, before I have to change it again. I only drive 15k year.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc
The original gasket lasted maybe 123,000 miles. So, I figured the way BMW put the gasket on originally was good enough for me, which was without an additional sealant like ultra black permatex gasket maker.

On the valve cover gasket DIY, yes absolutely I would use gasket sealer on the edge of the west side of the cylinder head as you face the car. This is because the engine tilts and thus the oil gathers at this side of the valve cover.

On the oil pan gasket, it's fairly level front to back and side to side. Also, the oil doesn't gather or sit where the engine meets the oil pan. So, really no need.

I don't plan on keeping the car till it hits 250,000. If it do, it will be a while, before I have to change it again. I only drive 15k year.
Got it. Thank you for the input.
      08-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Getting first Oil pan gasket changed out this week. First one lasted 88k. I am wondering how often these need to be changed... Maybe every 70-90k?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan335i7
Getting first Oil pan gasket changed out this week. First one lasted 88k. I am wondering how often these need to be changed... Maybe every 70-90k?
Mine lasted 125k.

I just did the valve cover gasket this weekend. This is number 3, for that one. The 2nd one was done by an independent shop that specialized in European Autos a few years back. It only lasted 40k or so. Not good. So, so I used a new gasket and put a bead of gasket sealer on top of the gasket.

I don't really think you have to use additional gasket sealer for the oil pan gasket. The pan is very level. The valve cover gasket tilts to the left as you face the car. So, the oil pools on the west side of the gasket and then you eventually develop a leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan335i7
Mine lasted 125k.

I just did the valve cover gasket this weekend. This is number 3, for that one. The 2nd one was done by an independent shop that specialized in European Autos a few years back. It only lasted 40k or so. Not good. So, so I used a new gasket and put a bead of gasket sealer on top of the gasket.

I don't really think you have to use additional gasket sealer for the oil pan gasket. The pan is very level. The valve cover gasket tilts to the left as you face the car. So, the oil pools on the west side of the gasket and then you eventually develop a leak.
IMHO based in my experience with this car(10years), the stark differences in mileage between cars when the gasket leaks, and when I'm replacing the car, I will be using sealant on the gasket. That will most likely ensure another 100k before I start having issues again.
Cheers!
      09-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
M109Rider
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
IMHO based in my experience with this car(10years), the stark differences in mileage between cars when the gasket leaks, and when I'm replacing the car, I will be using sealant on the gasket. That will most likely ensure another 100k before I start having issues again.
Cheers!
I just had my oil pan gasket replaced as well. I then read this post. I hope I get more than $40K from this new gasket....
I don't want to go through this expense again.
Good write up by the OP as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rider View Post
I just had my oil pan gasket replaced as well. I then read this post. I hope I get more than $40K from this new gasket....
If they did it right,and used OEM gasket, it should last 100-125k in all likelyhood.

Its been my experience most, if not all the major gaskets on a bmw last about 90 to 125k on average.

1) Rear main seal
2) Oil pan gasket
3) Oil Filter Housing gasket
4) Megatronic Sleeve
5) Valve Cover Gasket
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

I did this repair and added a thin layer of sealant for good measure- I never ever want to revisit the repair. I used sealant that does not harden.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rider View Post
If they did it right,and used OEM gasket, it should last 100-125k in all likelyhood.

Its been my experience most, if not all the major gaskets on a bmw last about 90 to 125k on average.

1) Rear main seal
2) Oil pan gasket
3) Oil Filter Housing gasket
4) Megatronic Sleeve
5) Valve Cover Gasket
Thank you for the DIY.
While executing this DIY, I replaced the O2 sensors, cleaned VANOS check valves, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the ignition coils. This took me 18-20 hours to complete.
For perspective to clean the pan and motor, seal the gasket, install the pan, and torque the fasteners was about 2-3 hrs alone.
Another item, the disconnecting of the struts only takes 5 minutes. Realigning and reconnecting them took me over an hour.
      05-07-2019, 02:01 AM   #12
nilesd22
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Hello, I know this is an old thread.. I ordered the oil pan bolt kit from FCP and did the gasket job but not I have 5 extra long bolts left over.. is this normal? I don't see any bolts missing and I counted the bolts I removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesd22 View Post
Hello, I know this is an old thread.. I ordered the oil pan bolt kit from FCP and did the gasket job but not I have 5 extra long bolts left over.. is this normal? I don't see any bolts missing and I counted the bolts I removed.
I think I had a few left over on my kit too. Just triple check that you have indeed put all the bolts back. The longer ones go up horizontally near where the trans & engine meet. I think there's three of them? It's been 3 years since I did this DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had those 5 extra as well. You'll have to dig to find the answer, but when I asked I believe the responses I got were that they are for the XI.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
nilesd22
Rep

Oh alright thanks guys, yes I was under there for a quite a while then I kept recounting how many I initially removed to see if that matched up with how many I installed. But okay maybe they are for the xi, I will lookup pictures of their pan to see Donutz. Mweisdorfer, thanks for responding I know this was quite a while ago for you.

Y'all remember where this clip goes by any chance? I searched for the part number and no luck. PN#529530-10.. or at least thats the number stamped on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by nilesd22; 05-08-2019 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #16
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh alright thanks guys, yes I was under there for a quite a while then I kept recounting how many I initially removed to see if that matched up with how many I installed. But okay maybe they are for the xi, I will lookup pictures of their pan to see Donutz. Mweisdorfer, thanks for responding I know this was quite a while ago for you.

Y'all remember where this clip goes by any chance? I searched for the part number and no luck. PN#529530-10.. or at least thats the number stamped on it.
Isn't that's for the oxygen sensors?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
People said I think it was depending on if you were AT or MT.

Quote:

That clips of for the front brake pad sensor. The half open end goes on the brake line and the 2 teeth ends keep the sensor cable neatly. Unless it's used somewhere else...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
nilesd22
Rep

You so right! Thanks, after I did a subframe replace and the oil pan along with all suspension I found this on the floor and I thought" hopefully it's nothing from the top of the subframe" I found a pic I took a while ago and yup it's from the brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by nilesd22; 05-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0