E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2009 XI -on the fence-need your help - wheel gap, suspen, all the good stuff

07-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
EDubs
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i -M-sPoRt

2009 XI -on the fence-need your help - wheel gap, suspen, all the good stuff

i test drove both today. the "I" was in stick, but the dealership (actually both i went to) didnt have the XI in manual so i had to settle for testing it in auto lets just say my firsts impression was the steering wheel in the I felt much tighter and responsive, and also (which was kinda funny)when i sat in the XI both me and the salesman looked at each other and instantly lowered our seats cause we felt like we were sitting much higher .. other then that they both took off like rocketships when i put the pedal to the floor.

has anyone testdrove a xi in manual and automatic and noticed a dramatic difference? i mean its obvious, but anything specific?

also the wheel gap bothered me (as everyone else) an i was planning on getting the M package with the 18'' (does this make a difference in the gap aka will it look smaller with the 18'' over 17''). Also very important .. does the m sports package come with the performance tires that are worthless in the winter? aka will i have to buy snow tires anyway and drop another grand?

Also do the H&R or KWV1-3's void your warranty ? im guessing that most of you have leases but im planning to buy.

now lastly my back story -- i made a deal on friday for an "I" and got a call from my salesman on Sat. that there was not one more slots available for a new build for an "I" in north america, but he found one XI that was still able to be modified to suit my needs (i later confirmed this by calling 3 other dealerships and getting the same answer on the "I" matter) .. because he broke my heart he offered me a solid deal (under inv) for the XI but i still havent pulled the trigger .. i mean the more i think about it seems like the more logical choice living in NY (westchester, rockland) and all --- (boy if i have to buy new tires for winter that would suck)? anyway anything positive you could tell me about your experiences would be very helpfull but im looking to maybe seal the deal tomorrow so the more imput i get on these topics the easier it will be for me to pull the trigger.

ps - anyone have an alpine white XI coupe with an M-Sports that could show me what the wheel gap might look like? is it monster truckish? pics are welcome

thanks all
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDubs View Post
i test drove both today. the "I" was in stick, but the dealership (actually both i went to) didnt have the XI in manual so i had to settle for testing it in auto lets just say my firsts impression was the steering wheel in the I felt much tighter and responsive, and also (which was kinda funny)when i sat in the XI both me and the salesman looked at each other and instantly lowered our seats cause we felt like we were sitting much higher .. other then that they both took off like rocketships when i put the pedal to the floor.l
The feeling of the steering wheel can be due to various things. Mostly it has to do with the shitty tires that prob were on the xi. The All season run flats that BMW supplies leave much to desire.

Quote:
has anyone testdrove a xi in manual and automatic and noticed a dramatic difference? i mean its obvious, but anything specific?
the automatic transmission mated with the n54 motor makes for a faster automobile. that is the general consensus on the message board and fellow owners that i have spoken to.

Quote:
also the wheel gap bothered me (as everyone else) an i was planning on getting the M package with the 18'' (does this make a difference in the gap aka will it look smaller with the 18'' over 17'').
the bigger wheels will not do anything. Your car will ride just as high and the wheel gap could increase depending on the dimensions of the 18 inch tire.

Quote:
Also very important .. does the m sports package come with the performance tires that are worthless in the winter? aka will i have to buy snow tires anyway and drop another grand?
the 18 inch tires will be summer tires, and you will most likely have to buy all season tires or snow tires. i ran 17 inch all season tires last year and did fine.

Quote:
Also do the H&R or KWV1-3's void your warranty ? im guessing that most of you have leases but im planning to buy.
i purchased my 335i xDrive. just installed the kw coilovers. it depends on your dealership. but only ur suspension warranty would be affected by installing an aftermarket suspension, not your overall warranty.

Quote:
now lastly my back story -- i made a deal on friday for an "I" and got a call from my salesman on Sat. that there was not one more slots available for a new build for an "I" in north america, but he found one XI that was still able to be modified to suit my needs (i later confirmed this by calling 3 other dealerships and getting the same answer on the "I" matter) .. because he broke my heart he offered me a solid deal (under inv) for the XI but i still havent pulled the trigger .. i mean the more i think about it seems like the more logical choice living in NY (westchester, rockland) and all --- (boy if i have to buy new tires for winter that would suck)? anyway anything positive you could tell me about your experiences would be very helpfull but im looking to maybe seal the deal tomorrow so the more imput i get on these topics the easier it will be for me to pull the trigger.
you are dreaming if you plan on driving in the snow with summer tires. you will need to get all season tires.

Quote:
ps - anyone have an alpine white XI coupe with an M-Sports that could show me what the wheel gap might look like? is it monster truckish? pics are welcome

thanks all
Here are pics of my 335i xDrive KW V1 coilover install. There are pics of the car before and after i got the suspension.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283661

I drove my friends 07 335i RWD w/kw v1 and the car felt great. i love my xdrive with the kw but the main problem that i am encountering is the tires. they are absolutely horrendous. i am researching for the best all season tires that I can get. if not I plan on running dunlop star specs in the spring,summer, fall, and then putting on my oem 17s for the winter. we shall see!

either way, bottom line: you are going to need winter / all season tires for the winter months here in this area. the wheel gap on i models is fine, its not so bad. the wheel gap on i xdrive models is awful. blah.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
EDubs
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i -M-sPoRt

thanks for the input - and your car looks great!

how much do a set of good all wheel tires go for (approx.). Could i mount them on the 18" m-sport rims or would you not recommend (aka - should i get seperate rims).. so the 1K wheel insurance is a bad idea . please dont take me as naive .. im just new to this stuff and trying to get my bearings

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

thanks

i dont like staggered wheels (thinner wheels in the front, wider in the rear)
i look for a square set up (all wheels equal size)
-decrease understeer
-increased traction up front
-ability to rotate tires
-makes you wear tires at a more even rate
-cheaper (4 of the same size, rather 2 of one size, 2 of another)

i would keep the 18 inch m sport wheels w/their tires, and run them in spring, summer, and fall. the wheel insurance is great. 2 times and its paid for itself.

i would buy a dedicated set of 17 or 18inch square set up wheels and put all seasons or winter tires on them from the months of december to april.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

i put winter tires on my stock 18"s (staggered) xi with no problems. the only problem w/ doing that is tires are expensive (especially the rear). other then that, i like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
335xidave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Dinan3/335xi

I have a 2008 335xi with the 6sd manual, it's a blast to drive. It's actually a Dinan3 now. I had to wait for about 6 mos to get it, and I was told that there were only 2 of them (manuals) in the US, when I bought it. I'm very glad I got the manual. I drive a lot in the mountains and have to do a lot of shifting, but it's worth it. As far as the autos being faster, I think it's the DRIVER, not the car. BMW says the manual is faster (1/4 mile) by .02 secs.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xidave View Post
I have a 2008 335xi with the 6sd manual, it's a blast to drive. It's actually a Dinan3 now. I had to wait for about 6 mos to get it, and I was told that there were only 2 of them (manuals) in the US, when I bought it. I'm very glad I got the manual. I drive a lot in the mountains and have to do a lot of shifting, but it's worth it. As far as the autos being faster, I think it's the DRIVER, not the car. BMW says the manual is faster (1/4 mile) by .02 secs.
Could one buy an i and then run snow tires, and survive in the North East
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: the TiAg Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Could one buy an i and then run snow tires, and survive in the North East
This makes me think of something the former editor in chief of Car and Driver said when reviewing the CPO BMW 3s. He said he would pick the 335i and alternate snow tires during the winter months. AWD is great, but it does not help with braking. All it does is get you up to an unsafe speed quicker.

This guy lives in Ann Arbor MI and I think it makes a lot of sense. Snow tires are much better in low temperature braking due to the compound. Trust me, I have done a couple really stupid moves during the winter in my xi with all seasons.

Good luck on the search and decision making!
      10-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
btovnb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

I live in NYC and I switched from a 07 335i JB3 manual coupe to a 09 335 xdrive stock manual sedan. Last winter I got stuck so many times with my i. The i to me seemed like a more fun car to drive. The stock sport suspensions on the i is way better than my xdrive. The xdrive takes bumps and potholes way too hard. The suspension on the xdrive has to go. I've had the xdrive for less than a month and let me tell you that in bad weather, the car performs like a champ. When it rains the car stayed well planted on the pavement in curves, twists, and turns. Can't wait to test this car in the snow. I made the switch due to a few reasons. I got a great lease deal, 4 door easier for my 6 year old to jump in and out of, awd for the times when we do get some snow. Last winter in my 335i, I was not going anywhere fast when there was snow on the ground. On the highway other cars were doing 50 while I was going 20 fishtailing my way to work on the stock summer run flats with the 18inch 189 wheels. I was too cheap to get tires for the season lolz. Which ever you choose is still going to be a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
D0WNxiSH1FT
Spooling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by btovnb View Post
\I was going 20 fishtailing my way to work on the stock summer run flats with the 18inch 189 wheels. I was too cheap to get tires for the season lolz.

Please get snow tires this year. You'll learn to LOVE the snow, instead of cursing it.
Appreciate 0