E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-series GT (gran turismo) confirmed for production

07-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
BarbeRouge
Life is short
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan

That's a horrible photoshop. It looks exactly like the 5series GT except with 3series headlights, which they will change for the next 3 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #46
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

07-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #47
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
im not on board for this one.
      07-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #48
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
That being said, BMW is seriously pissing me off with their new cars. This GT crap is horrible, the move to a four cylinder for the U.S. market is deplorable and the thought of bringing a hatchback is scaring me as well.

I bought a BMW not only for the performance, but also because of the exclusivity and luxury image of the brand. This ridiculous GT car, the fact that it looks like a Citation and the threat of a hatchback is akin to a mobile home moving in to my neighborhood. My 'value' is going down in my car with this 'mass-market appeal' campaign BMW is on. I understand the need for profit, customer expansion and product development, but this stuff is getting ridiculous.

The 1-series was bad enough, why not just bring back the 318ti?

Sorry to go on a rant, but the thought of seeing this 3-series GT pic that looks like a Citation pissed me off.
Quote:
I know it sounds snobbish and elitist, but that's one of the reasons I bought a BMW and have wanted one for as long as I can remember. Because it stood for something and was always something for me to work to attain, and didn't always follow the crowd, or follow what everyone else was doing.
You have got to be kidding me. This is the exact attitude that will only end up hurting the brand. As you have already stated, it does sound snobbish and elitist. Do you really think these things are going to cheapen the brand and lower your 'value'?

How is the 1 series bad? As the 3 series coupes grew in size and price, the 1 series coupes were brought over for those looking for a coupe similar in size to the E36's and E46's while also being more affordable. What's wrong with BMW offering more products to increase their market share?

It would be a brilliant move for BMW to bring over their 4 cylinder gas and diesel engines along with the hatchbacks. Granted, this would obviously be in addition to the inline sixes. With more and more people looking for cars with better fuel efficiency, it doesn't mean that they don't want well appointed and great handling cars such as a BMW. There are also people who may want a luxurious, fun, or good handling car along with the utility of a hatchback. Case in point, the VW GTI and Audi A3. Why let VW/Audi have all the sales? The advantage of the 1 series hatches, is that they offer RWD performance/handling.

You and others may disagree, but I see these as good decisions for BMW in the long-term.
      07-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #49
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
lol...a prius
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #50
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
lol...a prius
nice sig!LOL
      07-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #51
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

This is not a car for me.

To each their own.
      07-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #52
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I just really don't see the point of these GT's. Are they trying to be M-B and have a car for any possible lifestyle choice...as long as you have money.

If you have a coupe, convertible, sedan, wagon and SUV variant of almost every model you make do you really need a hybrid wagon-sedan thing that costs more then either and looks so-so at best? I just don't get it.

All I can think of is:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #53
Lobaeux
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i coupe

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
2001 Subaru Impreza RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
You have got to be kidding me. This is the exact attitude that will only end up hurting the brand. As you have already stated, it does sound snobbish and elitist. Do you really think these things are going to cheapen the brand and lower your 'value'?

How is the 1 series bad? As the 3 series coupes grew in size and price, the 1 series coupes were brought over for those looking for a coupe similar in size to the E36's and E46's while also being more affordable. What's wrong with BMW offering more products to increase their market share?

It would be a brilliant move for BMW to bring over their 4 cylinder gas and diesel engines along with the hatchbacks. Granted, this would obviously be in addition to the inline sixes. With more and more people looking for cars with better fuel efficiency, it doesn't mean that they don't want well appointed and great handling cars such as a BMW. There are also people who may want a luxurious, fun, or good handling car along with the utility of a hatchback. Case in point, the VW GTI and Audi A3. Why let VW/Audi have all the sales? The advantage of the 1 series hatches, is that they offer RWD performance/handling.

You and others may disagree, but I see these as good decisions for BMW in the long-term.
Sorry to quote the whole post, but you make good points.

You're right on the fact that people are looking for better fuel efficiency, smaller cars, yet retaining the luxury, fun and good handling that BMW can offer. BUT, you have to combat years and years of American thinking when it comes to automobiles. If you look at American autos, Chevys, Fords and most Chryslers have been looked upon as generic, cookie-cutter people movers, especially after the oil embargo in the early 70's. Before that, American cars were synonymous with luxury and prestige if not performance. Since then the only real "American Luxury" brands have been Cadillac and to a lesser extent Lincoln. I'm not trying to compare a 3-series to a Cadillac or even that it's a luxury car, but it is a luxury brand. Cadillac took a huge hit with the Cimmarron, which attempted to take a luxury brand, make an affordable car of it and failed miserably. I would hate to see BMW go the same route by bringing over "Cimmarons" to try to appeal to more car buyers. The 3-series GT, although not cheap, to me is a "Cimmaron".

Now, the 1-series. While for everything I've read, viewed and seen with my own eyes, it's BMW in every sense. But, it's also fairly expensive for a small car, again albeit, a BMW. One reason why I don't think it's the 2002 reincarnated is because of the expensive nature of the vehicle. That's fine, the 2002 was needed to get BMW into the game, but now they're in. There's no reason to go back to the days of the econo-box car, even if it does have great handling/performance. That's what I'm afraid of with possibility of BMW bringing in "more affordable" cars. When I mean "more affordable", I'm not talking cheap or inexpensive, I'm talking entry-level vehicles to compete with the likes of Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Saturn, etc. That to me cheapens the BMW brand and it's image.

Back to the GT, it's a nod to the wishes of consumers who haven't traditionally been interested in BMW, even though most purchasers are aware of what BMW brings to the table. That's what bothers me most and someone put it very accurately when they said "BMW is answering questions no one is asking". We go from performance/luxury-oriented vehicles to straight people-movers with rear wheel drive. Without soul.

That's why I'm against the GT/X6/crossover concept. That's why I'm not a fan of the Panamera/Cayenne either. As a former Porsche owner, even if I was a current Porsche owner, I'd be bothered by those as well.

But, you make good points, the 135i from what I've seen with my own eyes is a great car, and your choice of the WRX is also to be commended. I own an Impreza RS as well. 'Course we could also talk about what Subaru has done with the WRX/Impreza RS line as well. They went from a cool-looking coupe, to a four-door sedan, to a five-door hatch. OY, I think the new WRX is ugly!
      07-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #54
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

It does look very Homosexual (Sorry, Ginger Beer).

For any Germans from BMW Land: Homosexuell

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #55
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I think it looks sick in these pictures!
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #56
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Sorry to quote the whole post, but you make good points.

You're right on the fact that people are looking for better fuel efficiency, smaller cars, yet retaining the luxury, fun and good handling that BMW can offer. BUT, you have to combat years and years of American thinking when it comes to automobiles. If you look at American autos, Chevys, Fords and most Chryslers have been looked upon as generic, cookie-cutter people movers, especially after the oil embargo in the early 70's. Before that, American cars were synonymous with luxury and prestige if not performance. Since then the only real "American Luxury" brands have been Cadillac and to a lesser extent Lincoln. I'm not trying to compare a 3-series to a Cadillac or even that it's a luxury car, but it is a luxury brand. Cadillac took a huge hit with the Cimmarron, which attempted to take a luxury brand, make an affordable car of it and failed miserably. I would hate to see BMW go the same route by bringing over "Cimmarons" to try to appeal to more car buyers. The 3-series GT, although not cheap, to me is a "Cimmaron".

Now, the 1-series. While for everything I've read, viewed and seen with my own eyes, it's BMW in every sense. But, it's also fairly expensive for a small car, again albeit, a BMW. One reason why I don't think it's the 2002 reincarnated is because of the expensive nature of the vehicle. That's fine, the 2002 was needed to get BMW into the game, but now they're in. There's no reason to go back to the days of the econo-box car, even if it does have great handling/performance. That's what I'm afraid of with possibility of BMW bringing in "more affordable" cars. When I mean "more affordable", I'm not talking cheap or inexpensive, I'm talking entry-level vehicles to compete with the likes of Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Saturn, etc. That to me cheapens the BMW brand and it's image.

Back to the GT, it's a nod to the wishes of consumers who haven't traditionally been interested in BMW, even though most purchasers are aware of what BMW brings to the table. That's what bothers me most and someone put it very accurately when they said "BMW is answering questions no one is asking". We go from performance/luxury-oriented vehicles to straight people-movers with rear wheel drive. Without soul.

That's why I'm against the GT/X6/crossover concept. That's why I'm not a fan of the Panamera/Cayenne either. As a former Porsche owner, even if I was a current Porsche owner, I'd be bothered by those as well.

But, you make good points, the 135i from what I've seen with my own eyes is a great car, and your choice of the WRX is also to be commended. I own an Impreza RS as well. 'Course we could also talk about what Subaru has done with the WRX/Impreza RS line as well. They went from a cool-looking coupe, to a four-door sedan, to a five-door hatch. OY, I think the new WRX is ugly!
Well said.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #57
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

So let me understand. We have been told since the E91 came out that it is too expensive to bring the E91 335 to the US because of the costs associated with getting it certified in the US. (Hell if I know why. The E91 has been approved as has been the N54). But now all of a sudden it's not too expensive to bring a 3'er GT. Sounds to me that BMW has been BS'ing us all along. Those of us with E91s and crying for a N54 have known all along. We just didn't know why they were BS'ing us. Now we know.

BMW has convinced itself that the US market would respond better to a 3'er GT with a N54. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they get cold feet and drop a N52 tuned like the X3 for the additional horsepower, calling it a 3.0 and by-passing the N54 altogether. That way they can support the big price tag for the 5'er GT. With the N54, I take the production car for a test drive. Without it, I won't even bother with a trip to the dealer to take a look.

Last edited by E91AWD; 07-03-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #58
autoyuri
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 120i

ugly.. Im sure that real car will looks much better than/.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #59
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
ewwwww...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #60
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #61
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow, my only hope is they keep this in the European market.

I understand that in Europe, BMW is nearly as ubiquitous as Chevrolet, Ford or Toyota, but here in the States, the Roundel and 'BMW' mean something. I really hate the fact that that meaning is getting diluted with these "crossover" concepts that cater to a lifestyle and not to the essence of what is supposed to be "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Buddy, if it wasn't for US market and its buyers, these cars GTs and X6s and 7 seat X5s would probably not exist at all. All these cars are made mainly for US market (and china and arab countries).

I don't htink you really understand how BMW is viewed in europe if you say stuff like that. We like small fast cars, fast touring cars, small diesel cars. OK, not LIKE but forced to like due to many reasons like taxes and so on.

the GT5er wil be a flop in europe, guranteed. they just hope to sell it more to US soccer moms and soccer dads who must have the sacred roundel badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
nice mix of x6, x1 and gawd knows what else.
      07-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #62
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
this.. just HAS TO REPLACE THE STATION WAGONS! it HAS TO! POINTLESS TO HAVE THE HATCHBACKS WITH THIS IN LINE... i'm convinced this will be their new hatchbacks..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #63
Lobaeux
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
It's one thing when Chevy does it, it's a completely different thing when BMW does it.

I looks to me that you buy BMW for a wrong reason.
No, I bought a BMW for all the right reasons. Same reasons why other enthusiasts buy a BMW, an Audi, a Porsche or even a Ferrari.

Curious, why do you have a pic of Tiger Woods, reading "Michael Jordan" with Michael Jackson's dates?
      07-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #64
Lobaeux
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
That's the problem. I DO know how BMW is viewed in Europe. And I know how vehicles are viewed in Europe versus the U.S. I totally agree, this GT car, or even the X models probably wouldn't have seen the light of day were it not for the U.S. market. My issue is, in the U.S., small fast cars, small fast touring cars, and small cars with small engines are viewed, by the U.S. driving public as a whole, not me (I've owned a succession of VW Scirrocos, Acura Integras, a Subaru RS and a Porsche 914), but by the U.S. public as entry-level cars. As economy cars. And while the current economic downturn is creating interest in small cars, fuel efficiency, hybrids and such, once the economy turns around, SUV's, big pickup trucks and new American "Muscle Cars", the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang, will start to sell in big numbers again.

Just take a look at what Subaru has done lately, that's what I don't want BMW to become.

Last edited by Lobaeux; 07-07-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #65
wakedaze
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

BMW has lost their way. This is sort of like the Obama administration. Throw $hit aganist the wall and see what sticks.

I'm going to have to use my iDrive navigation in my E60 (still never loved its looks) to find my nearest Audi and Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #66
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 - 335is Coupe

When is the last time a hard core BMW 3 series fan got a woody because of BMW news? I dont' remember it...

News Flash to the dicks at BMW, give us DCT or shove the GT up your collective station wagon loving asses.
Appreciate 0