E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Review of Spray Waxes

01-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #23
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Any different results between the 3 quadrants of spray waxes?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Final Review

Final Review (14 days) of Spray Waxes

The purpose of this personal review was to evaluate several well-known spray waxes compared to a premium carnauba spray wax.

Listed below is my opinion about these spray waxes and how they compared to a premium carnauba paste wax. Please keep in mind; the hood was washed, clayed and polished prior to applying the spray waxes and the premium carnauba paste wax. This preparation may have had a significant role in the success of this review.

• No significant difference between any of the spray waxes. None are superior.
• There is a marked difference between the spray waxes and a premium carnauba paste wax.
• All waxes accumulated dust and other particles at about the same rate. Thus, are cationic spray waxes more effective in repelling dust/particles? The premium carnauba paste wax felt as if there were fewer accumulated particles than the other spray waxes.
• All waxes provided very good shine after 7 days. All waxes provided excellent shine after dusting with a California duster. All waxes provided excellent shine (after detailing) and excellent water beading after 14 days.
• One spray wax (HiLustre) left minor water/dew/mist streaks after the hood dried. However, the streaks very difficult to detect.
• The spray waxes provided excellent “sheeting” action. The paste wax simply beaded the water.
• All three spray waxes were very easy to apply and wipe dry/polish/buff.
• No significant differences in friction or drag resistances using five fingers on a microfiber towel dragged across the surface (after 14 days). Although the premium carnauba paste wax felt somewhat less resistance than the other three spray waxes. However, all four quadrants were about the same.
• The three spray waxes are comparably priced (especially when purchased by the gallon).
• All waxes lasted to a degree for 14 days. Difficult to determine if spray waxes will last for months.
• All waxes were somewhat effective in filling very, very small scratches (microscopic).

For a quick and easy way to add some additional shine after washing your car – spray waxes are effective and inexpensive. Personally, I would apply spray wax after every car washing.

Final points to ponder.
• Can you apply too much spray wax, e.g., every week? After every washing?
• Do you have to polish before apply spray wax? Clay before spray wax?
• Are there more effective spray waxes on the market?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #25
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I'm pretty impressed with the results. The spray waxes held up better than I thought they would. I plan on getting a spray wax and now this gives me some extra confidence in the product. I also will be using the same paste wax you used, I've always used best of show but always wanted to try the paste carnauba. Thanks for the very detailed review!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great testing. Confirms my usage with spray waxes.

My usual weekly bucket wash ends with a coating of Megs. Ultimate Quik Wax after drying. Total time: 30-40 minutes start to finish.

I don't feel that there is any issue with accumulation as I wash before applying any additional spray wax, and the protection will stay noticeable for the 1-2 weeks at most before the next cleaning. Shouldn't be a coating to expect months out of.

Monthly, I do a full detail with Chemical Guys 3x Carnauba Wax. I can expect longer term protection, better beading, and deeper shine but still end up washing the car within 2 weeks anyways. Black cars are the worst.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #27
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveanXi View Post
I'm pretty impressed with the results. The spray waxes held up better than I thought they would. I plan on getting a spray wax and now this gives me some extra confidence in the product. I also will be using the same paste wax you used, I've always used best of show but always wanted to try the paste carnauba. Thanks for the very detailed review!
iDriveanXi,

You're welcome - I too, was impressed with the results. I may have to try a few more.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Former USMC; 01-11-2015 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #28
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Great testing. Confirms my usage with spray waxes.

My usual weekly bucket wash ends with a coating of Megs. Ultimate Quik Wax after drying. Total time: 30-40 minutes start to finish.

I don't feel that there is any issue with accumulation as I wash before applying any additional spray wax, and the protection will stay noticeable for the 1-2 weeks at most before the next cleaning. Shouldn't be a coating to expect months out of.

Monthly, I do a full detail with Chemical Guys 3x Carnauba Wax. I can expect longer term protection, better beading, and deeper shine but still end up washing the car within 2 weeks anyways. Black cars are the worst.
zero2sixtyZ,

Thank you.

I may have to review Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. Although some manufacturers advertise their spray wax will last for months, I'm not comfortable going for months without a little spray wax. Besides, spray waxes are easy to apply and inexpensive to purchase. It takes little effort to finish your wash with a quick spray wax. Some companies recommend spraying on a wet car and dry with a microfiber towel.

AGREE - I've had my share of black cars - tough to keep clean.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

like the thread man. nice
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #30
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Nice review! In the summer months, I spray wax my car after every wash. It gleams almost as good as my old hand paste wax routines yet is far, far less work. Looks incredible and shiny for days on end.

I'm a huge believer in Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #31
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former USMC View Post
zero2sixtyZ,

Thank you.

I may have to review Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. Although some manufacturers advertise their spray wax will last for months, I'm not comfortable going for months without a little spray wax. Besides, spray waxes are easy to apply and inexpensive to purchase. It takes little effort to finish your wash with a quick spray wax. Some companies recommend spraying on a wet car and dry with a microfiber towel.

AGREE - I've had my share of black cars - tough to keep clean.

Semper Fi
Agreed on the "advertising". It will never last months when exposed to the elements.

I found that waxing while drying doesn't work for me during colder months so I never changed methods. In the spring and fall, I end up having to dry the car a bit more and fixing the streaks with spray wax, so there is some moisture still left. You may have better luck in CA.

I also have great luck with applying Ultimate Quik Wax on my windows. Works just like Rain-X. No loss in clarity.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #32
etarnold
Tom Arnold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i convertible

I. too, like carnuba paste wax with one exception. The can diameter size is so big, I have a hard time getting it open with my size large hands.

What are the thoughts on color waxes, i.e. black for black and white for white?

Tom Arnold
Cincinnati, Ohio 45208

2011 Sapphire Black 335i Convertible M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #33
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etarnold View Post
I. too, like carnuba paste wax with one exception. The can diameter size is so big, I have a hard time getting it open with my size large hands.

What are the thoughts on color waxes, i.e. black for black and white for white?
Tom,

I have not used a color enhanced wax for any of my cars, therefore, I can't say how effective or better they might be over a "regular" wax.

Since most of the waxes on the market are relatively inexpensive, why not try a few to determine their effectiveness? And please, post your experience, many would benefit from your experiment.

I personally use three different waxes: a premium carnauba paste wax, a cleaner wax, and Griot's Best of Show wax. And no, I don't use all three at the same time...I typically alternate throughout the year. Oh yes, I also use spray waxes after washing the car.

Good luck and let us know...

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #34
HTowne92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Those spray waxes are a lot of work though. With just about the same effort, you might as well apply a dedicated sealant with a buffer then wipe off. You'll get 4 months of protection versus 2 weeks with the spray on.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #35
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

You should definitely check out Chemicals Hybrid V7. Never really payed attention to the durability of it because I use a paste wax as the base, but the gloss and feel it gives after it cures is incredible.
      02-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #36
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTowne92 View Post
Those spray waxes are a lot of work though. With just about the same effort, you might as well apply a dedicated sealant with a buffer then wipe off. You'll get 4 months of protection versus 2 weeks with the spray on.
HTowne92,

The spray waxes can be a lot of work, however, after washing and while the car is still wet, a little spritz and wiping it dry will leave a nice shine. And yes, you'll have to put forth a little more effort to wipe and polish the car versus just drying it. Nonetheless, a wee bit more effort - agreed.

Second, I would postulate that many would like to see a head to head comparing a sealant product/wax vs. spray wax vs. cleaner wax vs. carnauba paste wax. It would be interesting to see how long they last.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #37
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
You should definitely check out Chemicals Hybrid V7. Never really payed attention to the durability of it because I use a paste wax as the base, but the gloss and feel it gives after it cures is incredible.
Otruba,

Chemicals Hybrid Victor 7...okay, I'll have to give it a try - appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

I agree - a good base is essential and certainly makes clean-up, washing, etc. much easier.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #38
NickBlaine
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335XI

I have used V7 before, was not a fan. Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer gets my vote for a QD with a little protection.

I think I remember reading on autogeek that V7 would sometimes strip or make the layer of protection you put down prior ineffective.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #39
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Excellent thread. Personally I seal my car with Sonax Polymer Net Shield and love it. Lasts for a while and provides great protection.