E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AGW MOST>RCA converter for BMW available now...

10-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

AGW MOST>RCA converter for BMW available now...

The AGWPlus http://www.motuslab.com/ , a MOST>RCA converter -for Logic7 and Individual/Premium Audio OEM systems- with a full featured DSP processor built in and 8-channel output, is available from http://www.orcadesign.com/index.htm

Unfortunately, it is also a $1999 MOST converter/processor... they will try to come up with a much cheaper version soon, but it looks like it will not be very soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

T, I don't see that on the orca site or the ocra mobile site (different). I have sent an inquiry to our rep in the area... but is there a page you saw?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
T, I don't see that on the orca site or the ocra mobile site (different). I have sent an inquiry to our rep in the area... but is there a page you saw?
http://www.motuslab.com/en/products.html

I called ORCA and spoke with their representative Duayne (sorry if I misspelled the name)...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Grr

Non-DSP?

W/DSP?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Grr

Non-DSP?

W/DSP?
AGW Plus = DSP

They do not have any video -and according to ORCA no physical module yet- of the AGW Light non-DSP MOST converter. This motuslab seems to be a very small Italian company that just started to build these modules, and so far the only few ones built are the full DSP version.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I saw the Italian part... I can choose from some Aussies or some Italians? I'll wait for the Aussies, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I saw the Italian part... I can choose from some Aussies or some Italians? I'll wait for the Aussies, I guess.
Are you going to the SEMA show? mObridge is expected to officially announce the DA preamps there (prices and BMW availability).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Probably not, but I will have many peeps there. I can get from-the-floor updates
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

There is hope!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Nice. Good find.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #11
MotusLab
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi Everybody,

I'm Claudio from MotusLab.
We noted some visits on our web site started from this forum (thanks google analytics) but differently on other situations we decided to come in in this discussions because some news about us are not properly reported.

1) AGW Plus and AGW Ligth are both available for Italian Market. AGW Plus only for foreign markets. Our USA distributor is ORCA Design from Camarillo, CA.
2) AGWPlus got an audio DSP with the following features:
- DAC 24bit, 192Khz Burr Brown
- 115dB SNR, under request is available a 123dB version
- 4.2 Vrms with analog volume control (no digital scaling is present on our system)
- 31 bands Graphic Equalizer
- 5 Bands Parametric Equalizer on each channel
- Digital CrossOver (LP,HP,BP) on each channel with slope from 6dB/octave up to 36dB/octave
- Delays (up to 3,4 meters)
- Phase inversion
- Phase adjustment (only for sub)
- Output level setup on each channel
Under request a SPDIF/TOSLINK output is available
All other settings (Volume, Balance, Fade, Bass, treble and Graphic Eq.) are controlled by Head Unit or steering wheel comands.
3)AGWPlus is an AudioGateway with OUT and INPUT capabilities. INPUT means to fully control IPOD or USB Key by the original Head Unit. These functionalities can be added on the product on aftersales too. It something like a PC you buy the mainboard now, and some time later you can add new board for to have new functionalities. INPUT capabilities from IPOD is under test in this moment. It will be released for USA market close to next CES (as well as AGWLigth). The price as not been defined yet but it could be around $220-$250 for IPOD only, $300 for USB +IPOD.
Some picture can be found at this link http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p6359750/025916389.aspx
Sorry for this intrusion, for any other information contact us at info@motuslab.com
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks, MotusLab...

What is the price in the European market for the AGW "Ligth" with Toslink output?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
MotusLab
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

it starts from €500 up to €650 depending on number of channels
Toslink is an option that got the same range (it depends if with or without analog outputs) .
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotusLab View Post
it starts from €500 up to €650 depending on number of channels
Toslink is an option that got the same range (it depends if with or without analog outputs) .
€500 = $740 USD

Thanks... but no thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Bass&Trouble
India
Rep
Drives: Honda City

AGW

Hi everyone! A google search led me to stumble upon this thread.

I am from India, and I have just wrapped up an audio system upgrade in a BMW X5 (2009 India) using the Motus Lab AGW processor. These cars are relatively far lower in number in India as compared to developed countries and there are very few installers in India who can execute such jobs, so I was looking around to see what folks across the world are doing.

The processor is expensive in India too, but we generally tend to upgrade the audio systems in such cars only when the budget is atleast $8000 or upwards. I don't think it would make sense to get a product like this and use it to swap the original equipment with some entry-level gear. Maybe the AGW Light would make more sense for such applications. And it's probably not much cheaper than the AGW+ since it might mostly be using the same hardware as the AGW+. Not sure, but I personally wouldn't give up on the DSP abilities of the AGW+ inspite of the extra cost.

In the past I have used RF, Alpine etc. OEM integration processors to upgrade the audio systems in such vehicles. I gave the AGW a try and I don't think I will look back. Mainly because of -

1. No worries about calibration.
2. No high-level input or signal summing required. This is a big relief because we don't have to dig out the wires for drivers operating in each and every band and hook them up to the processor. This is painful for us because here we don't even have access to connectors that will allow us to extend the speaker cables up to the processor. And cutting or splicing from the amplifier harness or anywhere mid-way is obviously out of question. With AGW, I just have to unplug the MOST connector from the OEM amp and plug it into the AGW.
3. No additional remote controls, second volume control etc.
4. Full-featured DSP that I can set while sitting in the driver's seat using a laptop.
5. Top-notch sound quality. I have not been able to manage such good sound quality using any of the other processors. Call me a bad installer if you will.

Btw, could someone point me to some good audio upgrades to a similar BMW vehicle that might possibly be showcased on this forum? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sir, apologies if I am in error, but I'd like to point out a couple of things:

1) It's unusual for anyone to talk about $8000+ systems and not mention the product used or the system design.

2) Your comment about "cutting or splicing" being "out of the question" - in a $8000 system? Really? I have never installed on the subcontinent, but I have been in the 12V audio business for over 20 years, and I can count on my fingers the number of full audio systems without cut wires that I've seen. (Unless you are referring to the impossibility of splicing into fiber-optic cable with current products).

3) Your characterization of the non-DSP "Light" unit being good only for use with OE speakers is just plain wrong. I have NO IDEA whether MOTUS Labs can build a good-sounding DSP system or not. However, I know that the audison BitOne, the Zapco DC processing, and others DO sound good. MOTUS has buried sunk costs in the DSP version of the product which few US consumers want to pay - at least, pay to MOTUS. We would rather pay it to another company with more of an audiophile pedigree.

4) If you are indeed the installer of such a system, we would be interested in the design choices and equipment used. How did you address the center channel? What DSP settings did you use? What was the programming sequence for matching the X5 audio system? Which drivers did you use? This is the sort of things we audio folks want to know, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

5) If this post is instead a spoof post publicizing the product 9gosh, I hope not), could the "India" location claim be an attempt to circumvent the recent US FTC ruling that bloggers and forum posters endorsing a product must disclose any association or connection with the manufacturer? That would be unfortunate...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Bass&Trouble
India
Rep

Hi VP, I'm sorry if I came across as someone trying to market a product on the sly. Its genuinely not so. I can understand your concern since I am aware of the practice where some folks try to exploit popular forums to promote/ sell their product.

As far as my commercial involvement with the brand/ product is concerned - Yes, I am an Indian customer of Motus Lab. The AGW+ I used with the X5 is the first unit I imported into India, and I plan to import and sell many more of these seeing how well it has worked. Also, I am truly unaware of any cheaper or better alternates that can serve my purpose as well as the AGW+ has. I am open to any and all recommendations from you. I have no shame in admitting that I might surely not be aware of some comparable products and/ or advanced installation techniques that many of you folks may be exposed to simply because I am from India where there are NO resources comparable to those found in the west, whether online or offline.

I however can't imagine how I could gain from participating on this forum, but the brand perhaps could, since I only have good things to say based on my personal, and possibly, limited experience.

I have not been asked by anyone to come and stand up for a product here. I know I can't force anyone to believe that, but that's the way it is. After using the product, I really was a bit intrigued to see what everyone else is doing, and whether someone half way across the world has done something intriguing with either this or some other product, and that's what made me land here.

To summarize, none of what I have said above in this post or the previous is untrue or fabricated. I am willing to cooperate in whichever way I can. I will not make any further comments on this thread unless you confirm that it would be fine in view of the above. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

why did this thread die? i'm looking for some reviews on the awg plus. Bass&Trouble, can you post some pics of the install?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
Bass&Trouble
India
Rep

Sure SCtud. I explained my intentions, thought no one was probably interested. Anyway, here it is.

This is what the iDrive menu looks like in the X5 we installed:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2 Pairs of Rainbow Audio Vanadium Cross Line 4" component speakers for front and rear doors, installed in the stock locations with adaptor rings.

Rear:

Front:

A pair of Focal Utopia BE 21WX 8" subwoofers in a custom enclosure in the utility space next to the battery.

Here's where we found some room for the sub enclosure.

Into the trunk:

To make the cabin completely free of audio equipment, we now needed to make room for the two amps that we were using. So we changed the way the factory amplifier was mounted to now be vertical rather than horizontal, and popped in the 2 Stegs there.

Amps in place. AGW+ with 3 pre-outs hooked up.

After setup, the processor wass tucked away in the space available behind the battery.

Trunk view after we were through with the install.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well, Bass and Trouble, I must apologize for any offense from my skepticism from earlier on.

It looks like a nice install and some very nice gear.

I do have a couple of questions, if you would be so kind as to accomodate them after my earlier skepticism.

- How did you get the relatively-deep chambered tweeters of the Rainbow Vanadium Cross to fit? It takes a good bit of mod to get Morels without a chamber to fit, as the E70 sail trim is really shallow.

- Ditto the Vanadium 4 mids - was there any trouble getting the door panel back on? They are deeper than the Morel HO 4, and that was a bit tough due to angles and such. Was there much mod to the back of the door panel?

- Does the bass get out from under that thick cargo floor? I haven't done a rear sub in an E70 yet, but I was planning on using a corner instead of the floor area you used to get the corner loading.

- No underseat upgrades?

- Any tips, observations, recommendations, on the Motus piece?

Thanks,

VPE
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #21
Bass&Trouble
India
Rep

Quote:
Well, Bass and Trouble, I must apologize for any offense from my skepticism from earlier on.

I do have a couple of questions, if you would be so kind as to accomodate them after my earlier skepticism.
Sure, no problem. Let me answer your queries one by one.

Quote:
2) Your comment about "cutting or splicing" being "out of the question" - in a $8000 system? Really? I have never installed on the subcontinent, but I have been in the 12V audio business for over 20 years, and I can count on my fingers the number of full audio systems without cut wires that I've seen. (Unless you are referring to the impossibility of splicing into fiber-optic cable with current products).
In India, a lot of the brands would void your electrical warranty if you cut or spliced into any of the original factory wiring even if it's done cleanly, and without causing any problems. Basically this is to deter you from getting after-market equipment in your car, and they'd prefer that you choose any upgrade options from them, but I'm sure that's how it probably works everywhere.

Quote:
3) Your characterization of the non-DSP "Light" unit being good only for use with OE speakers is just plain wrong. I have NO IDEA whether MOTUS Labs can build a good-sounding DSP system or not. However, I know that the audison BitOne, the Zapco DC processing, and others DO sound good. MOTUS has buried sunk costs in the DSP version of the product which few US consumers want to pay - at least, pay to MOTUS. We would rather pay it to another company with more of an audiophile pedigree.
I didn't say that the "Light" one is good for OE speakers. I meant to say that it would be a choice perhaps for those who are not going in for high-end speaker/ amplification upgrades.

As for Zapco - it's not available in India so I have very limited (but good) experience with it, and that too in a car that used an after-market head unit, hence irrelevant in current context. BitOne and MS8 has just come in. All this while I have mostly been using RF's 3Sixty.1 /2 or Alpine PXE-H650s. For all cars that do not have a MOST entertainment system, we still have to use these processors. While they hugely improve the sound quality as compared to any other upgrade method using OEM head unit, I felt this was no match for the SQ observed when the signal was tapped at the digital stage without reversing equalization at speaker level.

As for Motus pedigree, these are some of the guys from the erstwhile GT Trading, i.e. Steg. Italian, and hence the various "ligth"s.

Quote:
- How did you get the relatively-deep chambered tweeters of the Rainbow Vanadium Cross to fit? It takes a good bit of mod to get Morels without a chamber to fit, as the E70 sail trim is really shallow.

- Ditto the Vanadium 4 mids - was there any trouble getting the door panel back on? They are deeper than the Morel HO 4, and that was a bit tough due to angles and such. Was there much mod to the back of the door panel?
Thankfully, the tweeters and the mids went into the stock locations just fine. For the sail panels, we did put some double-sided tape to make sure that it won't pop the clips out. No cutting or mods to the doors or door panels whatsoever.

Quote:
- Does the bass get out from under that thick cargo floor? I haven't done a rear sub in an E70 yet, but I was planning on using a corner instead of the floor area you used to get the corner loading.
The battery compartment cover is replaced by a MDF cover of the same size, to which we fit the handle of the original cover. It has slots cut into the part that ends up just over the subwoofer drivers. The sad part is that it still hasn't gone in since it seems impossible to find matching fabric to wrap our cover in! Any pointers there?

Quote:
- No underseat upgrades?
Too little volume, no? The OEM subs are not operational, neither is the center channel, as you must have probably guessed.

Quote:
- Any tips, observations, recommendations, on the Motus piece?
I have already expressed my opinions about it at this time. I'm almost done with a 2009 Jaguar XF-R using the same processor (yes, we are replacing the stock B&W system ), and hopefully another Q7 should also roll out soon. More then.

Cheers!

B&T
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Wow. that looks great. Thanks for sharing! What kind of amps are those? Did you use the crossovers or just use the processing from the motus lab?
Appreciate 0