E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Memory seats

03-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Memory seats

Chaps just wonderin does anyone know the deal with the memory seats 'cos from the manual I cant make sense of it! I use memory 1 and the same key always...if you go into the locks menu in idrive you can select last seat position or something lik that either when unlocked or when the drivers door opens...but if someone moves my seat and I get back in with my key...is the car not suppose to go back to my position (memory 1) when its unlocked?
      03-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

just press button 1 on the seat as you get in and the seat will adjust whilst your getting in

Last edited by themetz; 03-07-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: clarified
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Memory is on the key and not related to the buttons in the car. so if someone else uses your key and locks the car then that is the memory in the key when you next go to the car. Basically don't let anyone else use your key or if you do get them to push button one as they get out so your seat position is saved in the key memory.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Cheers...but whats all that malarkey in idrive about the seat position!?
      03-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
a mystery
      03-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
That iDrive option refers to the LAST seat position before the car was locked, so as davyk31 posted above, if someone changes your saved position and doesn't return to it before locking the car with your key, then the car will not return to memory position 1 when it is next unlocked, the seat will not move...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The seat / mirrors have effectively 3 memories:

Memory 1 seat button
Memory 2 seat button
Current position (not in M1 or M2)

And each key will also contain its own version of these 3 items along with aircon, audio, idrive settings etc

The idea is each driver (with their own key) has a full set of seat memory positions available to them.

The 'return to last position' only works when a different driver (key) opens the car relative to the key used when it was last locked. So if your other driver locks the car with their key with the seats in either M1, M2 or whatever, when you open the car with YOUR key the seat/mirrors will move to whatever positions (M1, M2, or whatever) you had them in when YOU last locked the car.

Each key only 'saves' its settings when the car is locked with that key so you have to be careful that you don't, for example, swap over driving with your other key holder without locking the car first with your key, otherwise they will jump in with their key, then when they lock the car all your settings will be saved on their key losing all their settings.

It crap really as most people share a car using the same key IMO.

As said, you can also select one of your M1 or M2 positions (using seat buttons) when opening the door and the seat will move to that before you get in.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-08-2010 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep

I just use one key myself and the other for my wife, works great. In the very unusual occasion say she drives using my key she just hits button two on the seat and everything adjusts.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I just use one key myself and the other for my wife, works great. In the very unusual occasion say she drives using my key she just hits button two on the seat and everything adjusts.
Button 1 or 2 on the seat have nothing to do with key 1 or 2, each key has 3 seat memories as I said.

If your wife can get her seat position at Mem2 with your key then it must be saved on your key...

That means you're not using Mem2 on your key.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep

How do you have more than one memory on each key, how does the car know which one to adjust the seat to? We use a key each and each time we unlock with our own key the seat moves to our saved position. As an extra option the memory buttons on the seat also saves our positions so we can "manually" select our position if another key is being used.
Given the key memory just works by unlocking the car i can't see how it can have more than one automatic memory.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The key doesn't actually save anything, the car does all the 'saving' for up to 4 keys max and it recalls them depending which key is being used.

When you unlock the car it moves the seat and mirrors back to wherever YOU LEFT IT when you last locked the car with that key thats it, regardless of whether you left them in a position that happened to be M1 or M2 or neither of those, it doesn't matter as it just puts it back to wherever it was when your key last locked the car.

Also, depending on which key is used the car remember all the audio, aircon, idrive etc settings for that key so your prefered radio station comes on and the temperature is set for that key etc etc. Same with the seat manual memories, it also remembers the manually saved M1 and M2 memories associated with that key.

All current settings are associated with a key when the key is used to LOCK the car, and recalled when it used to OPEN the car.

There must be a list of what functions are stored key specific, but there are a lot for sure.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-09-2010 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0