E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My E90's Suspension saga...advice, comments, and suggestions needed

09-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

My E90's Suspension saga...advice, comments, and suggestions needed

Hello everyone...I have been around the forum for over 3 years and so far I've been getting very good info and knowledge from forum members here. I have a 2008 E90 335i with sports package and I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. At first I just wanted to lower the car and leave it alone but since then, I got a couple good deals on suspension parts. I listed below the parts I've got so far and some parts that I'm not sure to get or need. This car is a semi daily driver (I got a 2001 Honda civic I use for work), so comfort is good to have but not a major requirement. I don't track the car but would like try some auto x events in the future.

Current performance set up:
- Procede v5
- ER charge with tial BOV
- custom magnaflow exhaust with secondary cat deleted
- UR catted 2.5" DP
- Snow performance methanol kit
- Dual DCI
- BSH catch can

Current suspension set up:
- Stock ZHP suspension
- 19" LM reps 8.5" front + 30 offset and 9.5" rear + 23 offset, offsets are attained by 5mm front and 10mm rear spacers
- 235/35 front and 265/30 rear general exclaims

Parts on hand waiting to be Installed:
- M3 Front Control Arms
- M3 Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings
- Front regulating rod for headlights
- M3 front sway bar
- M3 Rear sway bar
- M3 front strut brace
- BMW performance dampers (OLD style)
- Eibach Pro kit
- SP front perches

Parts not sure if needed to be installed:
- M3 rear subframe bushing (Dont want to do install/labor)
- LSD (not on budget right now)
- Toe links (not sure what to get or if I need it)
- M3 rear control arm and other bits (not sure if I need it or would the above set up work for now without making the rear sensitive to drive)

Looking for suggestions, comments, additional info from experts, experienced suspension forum members, suspension sponsors, and forum members with past or present experience from the set up I'm planning. Also if you can post alignment specs.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, TROLLS PLEASE STAY AWAY!!

Last edited by BLK_08E90; 09-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
MaverickBMW
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW iX50

If you are looking to do autocross than I would suggest coilovers with some adjustability. Personally I don't think the Eibachs and Performance Dampers are going to cut it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

for someone who is just going to "try some auto-x" I wouldn't recommend tossing all that stuff and going to coilovers. coilovers won't do squat if you are a beginner driver anyway.

Either way, that is a lot of modifications going on the car at one time. I'd be more concerned about who is doing the install, and getting a good alignment afterward.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
for someone who is just going to "try some auto-x" I wouldn't recommend tossing all that stuff and going to coilovers. coilovers won't do squat if you are a beginner driver anyway.

Either way, that is a lot of modifications going on the car at one time. I'd be more concerned about who is doing the install, and getting a good alignment afterward.
Thanks for the replies....I'll be doing the install myself and going straight to an alignment shop after everything settles. This is one of the reasons why I posed the questions before I do the install, I really don't want to keep going back to the alignment shop everytime I add something in.

For alignment shop, I'm in Murrieta/San Diego area and Clarence Brown in Kearny Mesa seems to be highly recommended. I contacted them and it's $137 for a 4 wheel and can do any custom spec you want. Or the other option is at BMW of San Diego, I believe it's $199 not sure though.

I agree coilovers would be nice but I don't think it would be worth it for me, I mean for what i'll be using it for. I'll probably track the car 1-2 times a year (depends if I like it, i'll deal with it then). Plus I don't want to keep adjusting, just set it and forget it (unless issues arises).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK_08E90 View Post
Hello everyone...I have been around the forum for over 3 years and so far I've been getting very good info and knowledge from forum members here. I have a 2008 E90 335i with sports package and I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. At first I just wanted to lower the car and leave it alone but since then, I got a couple good deals on suspension parts. I listed below the parts I've got so far and some parts that I'm not sure to get or need. This car is a semi daily driver (I got a 2001 Honda civic I use for work), so comfort is good to have but not a major requirement. I don't track the car but would like try some auto x events in the future.

Current performance set up:
- Procede v5
- ER charge with tial BOV
- custom magnaflow exhaust with secondary cat deleted
- UR catted 2.5" DP
- Snow performance methanol kit
- Dual DCI
- BSH catch can

Current suspension set up:
- Stock ZHP suspension
- 19" LM reps 8.5" front + 30 offset and 9.5" rear + 23 offset, offsets are attained by 5mm front and 10mm rear spacers
- 235/35 front and 265/30 rear general exclaims

Parts on hand waiting to be Installed:
- M3 Front Control Arms
- M3 Front Tension Struts w/ Bushings
- Front regulating rod for headlights
- M3 front sway bar
- M3 Rear sway bar
- M3 front strut brace
- Eibach Pro kit
- SP front perches

Parts not sure if needed to be installed:
- M3 rear subframe bushing (Dont want to do install/labor)
- LSD (not on budget right now)
- Toe links (not sure what to get or if I need it)
- M3 rear control arm and other bits (not sure if I need it or would the above set up work for now without making the rear sensitive to drive)

Looking for suggestions, comments, additional info from experts, experienced suspension forum members, suspension sponsors, and forum members with past or present experience from the set up I'm planning. Also if you can post alignment specs.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, TROLLS PLEASE STAY AWAY!!

Everything else look okay, but these below troubles me a bit:

- Eibach Pro kit
- SP front perches

First, the BMW performance dampers don't have enough damping to handle the higher rate Eibach springs and especially not a lowered ride height.

Second, the combination of the Eibach and SP front perches(I assume these lowers the car even more?) it's great for lowering your car for good looks but will really hurt handling.

Lastly, I suggest Koni Yellow dampers or something similar to handle the extra spring rates and the amount of lowering you will be doing.

Your alignment will be way off and the car will not handle safely after installing all the parts you have mentioned above so I suggest going to the alignment shop right away or at least zero the front toe.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

^This guy knows what hes talking about..bump for HPA
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
mike-y
United_States
Rep

Just to clarify, the spring rates on the Eibach Pro-Kit are nearly the same as stock zsp, so factory struts/shocks should work, as long as the car isn't too low. Got this info directly from an Eibach Sales rep:

Quote:
Our Pro Kit spring set has a rate of 148lbs for front and 457lbs for rear
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep

ZSP springs have the following rates:
Front: 145 lb/in
Rear: 460 lb/in

These rates are pretty close to EPK rates, the performance dampers were designed to be matched with ZSP springs. Does the SP perches makes that much difference that it would sacrifice handling? Maybe I should try these first.

What do you guys think about the kw/st v1's, adjustable height but not dampening. Would these be enough with the m3 suspension bits?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep

Also will the koni yellows and EPK would be close to kw/st V1's dampening?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
mike-y
United_States
Rep

the lowering perches will lower the front another .5". Are the pro kits not low enough in the front? I wouldn't want to be too low.

not sure how the konis compare to the KWs, but the koni yellows are adjustable, so you would be able to match them to the springs you are running.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Trust me, the Eibach and old performance dampers is not a good track setup. Save your time and money and sell them.
Appreciate 0