E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My story w/ the N52 Eccentric shaft est. repair $3-6K in repairs

02-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #23
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurkneez4nghi View Post
um does it sound like this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471867 ??????

sounds start at :28

let me know if im going through the same thing as u...
no mine only would happen during start up.. that why all of this is so bizarre

and when i say grinding sound, i mean i would love to give a better example because i know what grinding gears sounds like and its similar but its very noticeable outside the car (imagine nail on a chalk board, it just doesnt sound right at all coming from an engine) to that but it also sounds hollow like something is cracking and getting hit. it happens right when the car turns over and stuff in the engine starts moving. as if something was stuck and it broke loose when it was moved/forced

Last edited by Shorting; 02-05-2011 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

due to reading your thread I had a dream this happened to my car smh
      02-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
NP man. I enjoy learning about technology, so doing reseach like that is fun for me. Looks like I will be discussing the lifter replacement or possibly a head replacement with the dealer that sold me my car. I do get the ticking, not as pronounced as some of the videos I have seen, however it is pronounced enough I can hear it with the hood closed (barely). I honestly have no idea what BMW was thinking when they designed such a rediculously comlicated system. Rule of thumb is the more moving parts the easier it is to break. I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I would print out this information and let them know this most definitely is a manufacture defect, and NOT something you could have affected on your own. Assuming you have your oil changes documented they cant argue with you at all.
very cool. ya i dont understand it either. Ya see my car was ticking ever since i bought it but i never cared enough about it to get any of that "fixed"

but ya i have all the documents and the car has the extended maintenance too so i have had it in their for regular check ups and oil changes all the time
      02-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
due to reading your thread I had a dream this happened to my car smh
oh wow then this must be bad.. if its giving people bad dreams

its been almost 3 weeks since i have driven my car. it sat in its car cover for the past 2 week. i don't expect to hear from BMW till hopefully this coming week.

then repairs should take 2 weeks im guessing to get the parts and instal, test and everything else.
      02-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #27
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorting View Post
oh wow then this must be bad.. if its giving people bad dreams

its been almost 3 weeks since i have driven my car. it sat in its car cover for the past 2 week. i don't expect to hear from BMW till hopefully this coming week.

then repairs should take 2 weeks im guessing to get the parts and instal, test and everything else.
Haha, this was the last thread I viewed last night and I knocked out. It was more like a nightmare, my car would make a noise and not start up when I pressed start lolol, there were other factors involved in this nightmare but I don't remember lol
      02-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #28
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

^ lol how strange. well at least your not the one living with this "nightmare" LOL

it'll be good cars can be fixed, just this should have never happened so soon at least
      02-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

still no word from BMWNA. starting monday im going to find out how much exactly repairs are going to cost and go ahead and bit the bullet and get it fixed.
      02-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #30
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep
Drives: Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
still no word from BMWNA. starting monday im going to find out how much exactly repairs are going to cost and go ahead and bit the bullet and get it fixed.
May be a blessing in disguise, just take it to an independent shop, tell them about the eccentric shaft problems. they may need to take off the head to replace the part, but with the head off, have them mill the head 40 thousands and do a 3 angle valve job and replace the timing chain. You get it back w/ problems fixed and a lot faster* (*get a tune).

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #31
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorh22 View Post
May be a blessing in disguise, just take it to an independent shop, tell them about the eccentric shaft problems. they may need to take off the head to replace the part, but with the head off, have them mill the head 40 thousands and do a 3 angle valve job and replace the timing chain. You get it back w/ problems fixed and a lot faster* (*get a tune).
Could that be setting him up for another disaster?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #32
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Could that be setting him up for another disaster?
If the independent is competent and machining is done within spec, how would a mil and valve job be dangerous? Explain yourself.

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorh22 View Post
If the independent is competent and machining is done within spec, how would a mil and valve job be dangerous? Explain yourself.
You just answered your own question. Also, you'd have to get a custom tune as well which could go wrong. Ask me how I know... :P
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #34
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
you'd have to get a custom tune as well which could go wrong. Ask me how I know... :P
Yeah, sometimes I tend to think people go out of their way to seek incompetency, but come on man, give this guy some credit... smh

Anyway, with regard to the tune, he may be able to get away with running stock programming if the mil is conservative and doesn't bring him past 11:1 compression. either way I don't see anything wrong with a valve job and slight bump in compression.

Last edited by allmotorh22; 02-12-2011 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #35
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

ya that would be pretty cool. after all this im actually thinking of just fixing the car and selling it. i did a lot of research bout this problem and a lot of people think it could be because of engine sludge and when the weather gets colder and you using 15k miles old sythetic oil it can gam things up.

i still dont know what exactly is broken yet until they open it.

from the error codes the magnetic wheel and the eccentric shaft are the only errors so far. and that is keeping the valves close during start up.

if any one knows any good indy shops in socal for major engine repair that would be helpful because the dealer will probably want to over charge me as usual
      02-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #36
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

The other thing I'd be worried about is snapping the head bolts. They're really fragile and already break stock. The whole leaking valve cover gasket was due to a very slight overtorque from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #37
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
ya that would be pretty cool. after all this im actually thinking of just fixing the car and selling it. i did a lot of research bout this problem and a lot of people think it could be because of engine sludge and when the weather gets colder and you using 15k miles old sythetic oil it can gam things up.

i still dont know what exactly is broken yet until they open it.

from the error codes the magnetic wheel and the eccentric shaft are the only errors so far. and that is keeping the valves close during start up.

if any one knows any good indy shops in socal for major engine repair that would be helpful because the dealer will probably want to over charge me as usual
Oh didn't realize you were local. check out
http://www.coastmotorwerk.com/
I was considering this place before I got comfortable working on BMW's (I built Honda motors and luckily they use the same tools)
but check them out.

if your at all mechanically inclined, i was studying the N52 head, it looks like you might be able to access the eccentric shaft with out taking off the timing chain.

Name:  intake.bmp
Views: 7581
Size:  555.2 KB
Name:  top.bmp
Views: 8677
Size:  496.3 KB

take the valve cover off and give it a shot, pm me if you need any assistance.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #38
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

What about porting the block? You might need a make a new manifold though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #39
killakill
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3,6th Gen Camaro SS

cheaper

it might be cheaper for you too buy a engine out of a salvage car tons of them on ebay. do a engine swap.

then you can take your old engine rebuild it at your own time and pace, you can sell your old engine as rebuilt or have 2 engines just a thought
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #40
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

^ already looked into it. installation of a new engine is too expensive.

im looking at fixing it. hoping i can get it done for around $3k but ive seen bills for this job go for around $4.5k

i was at the point where im looking at fixing it and then maybe selling it and getting a CPO 335 and paying the difference so i get a newer car with a extended warranty

but we shall see, ill be happy to just drive my car again.

Im calling around tomorrow to get more estimates on pricing :/
      03-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #41
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

So what ever happened to this car. It should be fixed by now. What was the problem/solution?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #42
tim@Oz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 118i

ECCentric Shaft Fault

Hi Guys

I have a 118i (E87) 02/2005, with ECCentric Shaft Fault..........dont know if any thing is wrong with the engine,,,,,,,

Just that my tranmission slips when shifting from 1st to 2nd...is this related......

Estimate $2k-$3k (Aud$)........then may be $5-7K (Aud$) to fix the tranmission......

what are they talking about...what r they trying to fix.......fix something that i dont want.........no engine will be the same as yesterday and there will be wear n tear...........I am not an ATm machine.....

BMW should recall these vehicles and fix them.....not buying a BMW in future......

tim@oz
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #43
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI BMW E90 Black

I would continue to pursue with BMW , Although this wasn't my situation I have had the experience of a dealership telling me something utterly ridiculous,

a couple years ago I replaced the stock stereo with a aftermarket piece fold out display etc.

Then I got an error with my steering wheel column. they proceeded to tell my stock stereo needed to be removed. Went to the audio guy who is a good friend of my dad and he said no way that's possible its the silliest thing I have ever heard.

The dealership wouldn't budge and I had to pay to have my radio switched and then sell the old one. (now I actually could do this myself probably it wouldn't have been as big as a pain )

but then when I moved up to Boston for college I was in a service center there and found out how idiotic the service at my local dealership is and they couldnt even understand how they came up with that, and they were been lazy ,

sorry im bitching about this still hahaha but my point is unfortunately not all employees will have the same knowledge set or work ethic. some mistakes may be innocent and this may be one of those cases where they didn't know. good luck id be so nervous driving that thing with your story
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #44
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

From the TIS on how to replace the sensor:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/10/17/94

I'm not seeing why it would cost thousands to replace. I estimate it would take me a day to do it (never done this before), plus the cost of the sensor and head cover gasket/bolts.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by AlanAZ; 05-21-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0