E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Electric Cutout Exhaust

05-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

Electric Cutout Exhaust

Anyone ever done this before. I had one on my SRT4 aka turbo neon by dodge. I was at the bottem of the downpipe and it opened with the push of a button to become a open exhaust. I thought it was a great idea on my 335i b/c its a bmw and i dont want a loud rowdy beamer so i was thinkin of having a muffler shop do this. Plus turbo cars dont like back pressure so by adding this its the best exhaust u can have, which is close to no exhaust. Im not sure where to put it though either before or after teh cats. I dont want to throw a code if its before the cats. The best place would be before the cats but if i have to put it after it i will. Well see. Anyone try this or know anyone who has and where they put theirs. thanks :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4u2nv View Post
The best place would be before the cats but if i have to put it after it i will. Well see. Anyone try this or know anyone who has and where they put theirs. thanks :rocks:
I finally got time to get intimate with the underside of my car last night. Spent about an hour looking at the layout and seeing how hard it will be to get to the turbos, etc. All in all, with the belly pan removed thing should be pretty accessible.

As for the cut out, no room is available before the cars. On the rear bank turbo there is just a few inches between the turbine outlet and the cat. Custom DPs would be needed to get cutouts in there. However, there is plenty of room post-cats but you would lose a little ground clearance.

I too have installed cut outs, below is the results on an ’03 Acura CL-S 6MT (369 WHP):

Exhaust Cutout Drive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

thanks alot scalbert. i havent gotten a chance to look under the car yet. i will this weekend since im changing my oil and goin for inspection. i only have 1500 miles on it but ill change the oil to syn and all anyway. Is it easy finding a oil filter for our car or should i stop at our dealer and get it now and how much oil does this bad boy take? i know i could search but if people r reading this its easier just to anwser the q's. thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4u2nv View Post
thanks alot scalbert. i havent gotten a chance to look under the car yet. i will this weekend since im changing my oil and goin for inspection. i only have 1500 miles on it but ill change the oil to syn and all anyway. Is it easy finding a oil filter for our car or should i stop at our dealer and get it now and how much oil does this bad boy take? i know i could search but if people r reading this its easier just to anwser the q's. thanks
Not all part stores will have the filters so I would plan a trip to the dealer and pick up a filter kit (it includes the o-rings and the copper drain plug seal). You will need 7 quarts for the refill. Since at the dealer I would just pick up the BMW specific synthetic fluid from them as well. I did this yesterday in anticipation of my "break-in" oil change in about a month. I was surprised when my dealer was selling the oil for about $5/quart which was lower than I found online and comparable to store bought fluids.
Appreciate 0