E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Review: LUX H8 V3 LED Angel Eyes

03-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Smile Review: LUX H8 V3 LED Angel Eyes

Price: $235 + $10 in shipping fees

Packaging quality: Ok. Sent in a small flat rate box, wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap.

Install: A bitch. All the tips I read on the forum for installation did not help at all. The best installation tip I can give is to pay VERY close attention to how the OEM light comes out. Pay attention to the angle the OEM bulb was seated at initially, and the angle that bulb was at when you untwisted and pulled it out. Look at how the bulb came out, then look at the new bulb and put it in accordingly. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you PM me I'd be more than happy to help. So far, no error messages, and I don't expect any.

Install time: A little more than an hour. (My friend who's swapping his own engine on his Subie did it for me, and even with all the experience he has, it still took him that long.)

Pros: These lights are pretty good. They light up very bright for being a simple plug and play. I had RD LEDs for a week and took them out because they were more dim than the stock yellow halogen bulbs. (My avatar is a picture of the RD LEDs on my car, and I was trying to make them look good in that picture so you can imagine how dim they were in reality.) These lights satisfy my needs, and I'll be keeping them this time. These lights are a huge upgrade over stock, and they look the best that they could possibly look.

Cons: I am disappointed that the inner ring glows a LOT brighter than the outer ring. It is extremely noticeable. I don't think this is LUX's fault, it's just the way the light housing is built. The red bushing could have been glued on to the base of the light better. I'm also not very happy with the price, but do keep in mind that the other LEDs sold for BMWs cost just as much, if not more.

Overall, If you're looking to upgrade your lights to LEDs and you feel like the money is justifiable, the LUX H8 V3s are the lights for you. No, they are not as perfect as the LCI Angel Eyes, but you can't expect that to be possible because of the way the light housing is designed to work. If you want even distribution, certainly don't get them. If you can get past the uneven distribution and the price, GET THESE LIGHTS!

Pics: (I'll take a few more tomorrow)
Lights and packaging:

Best picture I could get of what the light distribution really looks like. Don't believe what people show you, it looks like this in real life. I have no reason to lie. In fact I went out of my way, taking the pictures at different focuses, angles, and distances, to get the most accurate picture of what it REALLY looks like for you guys.

Here's a picture of the lights when I make them look good with the camera. The distribution doesn't really look like this, but I am still satisfied with my purchase. This is as good as it's going to get without buying completely new head lights (Is that even possible lol?).

This is a picture of just the angel eyes turned on. It was nearly pitch black out, except for a very slight hint of yellow light from the street lights. Pretty damn bright if you ask me.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife

Last edited by EDM92; 03-16-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

The unit looks so compact. Nice.

I love how bright it is!

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I find that when you look at it more head on and from a bit more far away, the inner and outer rings look more even. This means you only see unevenness when you are walking up close. For cars on the road, it should look even to them. Like you said, it's the design of the pre-LCI AE that's at fault here.

Anyways, congrats on getting it done Took me about 45 mins, and broke skin in 6 different places
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
slimysnails
Leaving slime trails...
United_States
Rep
Drives: a black brick

Just make sure that they are in the "twisted until they are fully seated" position. The design of the pre-LCI rings will always be like that, no fault in the LUX, it is the fault of the OEM design. Like what was said, when you take a pic from straight on at about 10 (even 5) feet away, they look amazing. Pics taken at the angles you posted WILL look like that, no matter if it's LED, HID's or whatever, it's just the inherent design. I've tried sooooo many different AE lighting solutions for the E92 headlights, and the LUX (for me) has been the absolute best by far. If you have any questions about them, PM me!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
01 IGY
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i M-Sport DCT

Yeah the distribution of the light on the outer ring from close up is fairly average. But as morfinx said, from a distance (ie other drivers on the road) the distribution is good.

Overall I am very happy with them. The only other option I would have gone is the OSS, however being in Australia that makes it difficult to organise.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

very nice...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
they look good, and I couldn't be happier with what is currently out for our cars. LUX does a good job, and no matter what, like you said, our AE will never be perfect due to how it was designed. To fix would have to upgrade to like OSS. But I am happy over all as well. They are bright, was a tight install due to room of headlight housing.

*my led pic is on my avatar.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

wait for a day photo....

In the night all leds work great.....
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

looks nice

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

BMWorNOTHING - I'm surprised that it took so long for you to install these. essentially you are just removing a bulb, and plugging a bulb back in. The main problem with removing bulbs / installing bulbs is the fact that there is little to no room to get your hand into the headlight compartment. Unfortunately that is just the design BMW gave us to work with.

you mentioned that the inner ring is much brighter - You might want to make sure that the bulb is twisted all the way into place. the LED's are specifically positioned to work correctly when the bulb is twisted into place. If you compare the brightness of the stock H8 bulb with brightness of the LUX H8, you will actually find that the 2 rings are more evenly lit with the LUX H8.

The reason that the inner ring is so much brighter is because of the design of the physical headlights. The inner and outer ring are designed so differently that is is impossible to make them exactly the same. In some of my experiments i was able to get 2x the amount of light to the outer ring, but it still appeared to be dimmer then the inner ring. With the inner ring the light comes directly forward, while the outer ring uses small groves to reflect light. please see the attached diagram

One other thing to mention about the outer ring. Because of the shape of this ring, you are only able to see the light reflecting grooves from certain angles. If you look at the ring from the side, top or bottom, you will not be able to see the groves, and therefor you will not be able to see the light coming out of it. My recommendation is to look at the headlights from 15-20 feet away. Also if you are taking pictures of the headlights its best to be 15-20 feet away, looking eye level with the car. Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 03-16-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
By far the best plug 'n play LED angel eye on the market
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

I'm no expert on this and have not seen the actual hardware for this, but is it possible to reduce the brightness of the bulb powering the inner ring so that it matches the outer ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
BMWorNOTHING - I'm surprised that it took so long for you to install these. essentially you are just removing a bulb, and plugging a bulb back in. The main problem with removing bulbs / installing bulbs is the fact that there is little to no room to get your hand into the headlight compartment. Unfortunately that is just the design BMW gave us to work with.

you mentioned that the inner ring is much brighter - You might want to make sure that the bulb is twisted all the way into place. the LED's are specifically positioned to work correctly when the bulb is twisted into place. If you compare the brightness of the stock H8 bulb with brightness of the LUX H8, you will actually find that the 2 rings are more evenly lit with the LUX H8.

The reason that the inner ring is so much brighter is because of the design of the physical headlights. The inner and outer ring are designed so differently that is is impossible to make them exactly the same. In some of my experiments i was able to get 2x the amount of light to the outer ring, but it still appeared to be dimmer then the inner ring. With the inner ring the light comes directly forward, while the outer ring uses small groves to reflect light. please see the attached diagram

One other thing to mention about the outer ring. Because of the shape of this ring, you are only able to see the light reflecting grooves from certain angles. If you look at the ring from the side, top or bottom, you will not be able to see the groves, and therefor you will not be able to see the light coming out of it. My recommendation is to look at the headlights from 15-20 feet away. Also if you are taking pictures of the headlights its best to be 15-20 feet away, looking eye level with the car. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
I'm no expert on this and have not seen the actual hardware for this, but is it possible to reduce the brightness of the bulb powering the inner ring so that it matches the outer ring?
No that is not possible because the same bulb powers both the inner and outer rings. only about 1/4 or less of the light actually makes it to the outer ring with the stock bulb, so the LUX is designed to allow for much more light into the outer ring.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

So is this a mod for only older E90/E92 models? Are the angel eyes on the 2011 E90s improved? Do they look like these Lux ones and give off a whiter light?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In response to LUX, the lights are definitely locked in properly, no doubt about it. The install took that long because there is no room to work with in the head light.

As for the rest of the comments, the distribution really is bad. I just took a picture I will upload later in daylight from 15 feet away (maybe more), and you can't even see light in the outer rings. The only way you can see it well is if you get down on your knees (that's what she said). If you're not at a very low stance, they outer rings will not show well. How often are our eyes three feet from the ground? Not often.

Not saying I don't like the lights, just that the light distribution is bad (not LUX's fault).

Last edited by EDM92; 03-16-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I feel like the design of 2007 E92 angel eyes are different from 2008/2009+
      03-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
In response to LUX, the lights are definitely locked in properly, no doubt about it. The install took that long because there is no room to work with in the head light.

As for the rest of the comments, the distribution really is bad. I just took a picture I will upload later in daylight from 15 feet away (maybe more), and you can't even see light in the outer rings. The only way you can see it well is if you get down on your knees (that's what she said). If you're not at a very low stance, they outer rings will not show well. How often are our eyes three feet from the ground? Not often.

Not saying I don't like the lights, just that the light distribution is bad (not LUX's fault).
In the Bold section above, you are referring to the design of the BMW Headlight, Not the LUX H8 angel eyes. If you are saying that the distribution is bad, then can can not blame that on the LUX - the light distribution of the LUX is actually about 100% Better then a stock bulb.

Its not that you are often 3 feet from the ground, but rather if you are 15-20 feet away from the car then it will look correct. If you are driving down the road and someone looks in their rear view mirror they will see the correct angel of the headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
In the Bold section above, you are referring to the design of the BMW Headlight, Not the LUX H8 angel eyes. If you are saying that the distribution is bad, then can can not blame that on the LUX - the light distribution of the LUX is actually about 100% Better then a stock bulb.

Its not that you are often 3 feet from the ground, but rather if you are 15-20 feet away from the car then it will look correct. If you are driving down the road and someone looks in their rear view mirror they will see the correct angel of the headlights
I was about to say this, when I first saw your AE's I walked up on the car and they looked uniformly lit until you get to about 10 feet.

Unless your getting self powered ring units like the OSS offering this is going to be an issue. I actually have that diagram on my computer as well, I think it would be beneficial if you put it up in your FS thread. Its important that people know the design of the halo system so they understand its inherent flaws. You will NEVER get 100% uniform lighting of the rings due to the redirection method of the outer rings.

Anyway, like everyone has said these are by far the best PnP LED option.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I said in my post that it was not the fault of LUX......

Also, the only way I see even distribution is 3 feet off the ground, DIRECTLY in front of the car, in the middle of the right and left lights. I'm not saying I don't like the LUX, I do like them. They are as good as it's going to get without going the OSS route. I'm just saying the distribution is certainly not even from most angles. I know saying this doesn't help your sales, but I speak the truth.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've had these installed on my e92 for over a year now and I still love them as much as the day I installed them.

Have a friend drive your car and drive his, look at the angles from the rear view mirror, they look amazing, night or day.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #21
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I've had these installed on my e92 for over a year now and I still love them as much as the day I installed them.

Have a friend drive your car and drive his, look at the angles from the rear view mirror, they look amazing, night or day.
I will do this, and I'll even take a picture.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
I was about to say this, when I first saw your AE's I walked up on the car and they looked uniformly lit until you get to about 10 feet.

Unless your getting self powered ring units like the OSS offering this is going to be an issue. I actually have that diagram on my computer as well, I think it would be beneficial if you put it up in your FS thread. Its important that people know the design of the halo system so they understand its inherent flaws. You will NEVER get 100% uniform lighting of the rings due to the redirection method of the outer rings.

Anyway, like everyone has said these are by far the best PnP LED option.
Good point about putting this in the For Sale thread. I have already included this diagram in the FS thread so that people are aware. Thank you the the good ideas
Appreciate 0