E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Reliability and mistake of buying it.

12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
greye90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

335i Reliability and mistake of buying it.

I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Bum deal. Sorry to hear about all your issues.

Just a heads up, BMW Select does NOT allow you to just "walk away" when you're done with your payments. You're still obligated to pay the balloon payment somehow. Cash, finance, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
E-9-D
Fixed Bianchi > E46 > E90
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Did you look at the maintenance history before you purchased it? Sounds like the car has been driven hard with the issues you've been having –*Clutch/VCG.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Reliability=japanese cars

The more soul your car has, the more error prone it will be.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post

Drink the cool aid. It will all be better.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post

Expanding on that logic must mean the Yugo was the most soulful car ever made.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

The N54- the technical engine marvel we all love and hate
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90
I just wanted to rant a bit about this car. First of all, kind of a POS-only has 60K on it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a Certified lease return and was excited that I could get into what I thought was a better car than my Honda's or VW in my past. I have owned the car for about a year and purchased it with 36K KM, and had all of its regular things done to it by that time: HPFP, turbos and injectors. Okay, so I understand this was an early car and there are teething problems. I have owned it for about 24K km now, and its been back in for clutch(because rear main seal leak) and water pump was all covered under warranty. Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes, I could do it myself for cheaper, but realistically buying a premium car shouldn't require me to do so.
I was complaining to the dealer about the relative unreliability of this car and I regretted not leasing so I can give the car back when I was done with it. He told me that this was a very rewarding car to drive, and many owners stretch themselves getting into the car and cant afford to maintain them. Sure I agree a little, but fact is that a Hyundai is not this unreliable. It infers that BMW owners have more money than brains to accept this unreliability because of the BMW logo.
I am a mechanical engineer, and was a licensed mechanic for 10 years before becoming so, and am appalled at the reliability of this car. Why are simple things as water pumps, or valve cover gaskets failing at 60K? My Toyota 4Runner had 380K km on it and only required a water pump because I changed the timing belt and was cost efficient to replace at that time.
Anyways, I'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket shortly, and hope nothing else explodes or breaks down on me. I luckily opted for the finance plan with a balloon payment at the end so I think I can just give them car back and walk away. From now on, I will remove any of my pre-conceived notions on what makes a "cool" car and just buy Japanese. They are somewhat soul less machines, but I wont be stopping off at the dealer on my free time to drop it off to get it fixed.
I am also a mechanical engineer and own a 335i. Surely as an engineer you know how much more advanced the mechanics behind the engine are compared to your Honda/vw and Hyundai. This does not mean BMW is an unreliable company it's a known fact the 335i is unreliable but other BMWs aren't and are relatively cheap to own. The fact that you can get over 750hp on stock internals out of a 335i shows its overbuilt. Assuming you like what you do, being a ME, than you like fixing problems, I know I did when I encountered them on my 335
      12-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

i love everything about my 335i but the reliability and complexity

ive had honda's with 200-300k miles with less problems than my 40k mile 335
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

There is no excuse for any car being unreliable and ir is foolish to accept it from any manufacturer regardless of how complex the car may be (and I an not convinced that BMW engines are any more complex than the engines in the Japanese competition.)

That being said my 335i and my 750 have both been very reliable and if they were not they would be my last BMWs.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-16-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye90 View Post
Valve cover gasket is leaking now and not covered under extended warranty because it is wear/tear. Wouldn't complain, but it is a 1000K job-yes,
I need to replace mine. I was expecting more like 500$. Second time in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
N54King
King of the road
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I know how you feel , even stupid annoyances such as coil packs etc... I took a look at a g37 and also test drove multiple e46 m3's but neither have the same feeling as the 335i. How the torque is delivered on the n54 is so magical, havent drove any other car with as much punch down low. I just put up with the annoyances and enjoy the benefits.
      12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Bigugly
sheesh!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Sounds like your extended warranty sucks. Valve cover gaskets are covered under almost any extended warranty. Wear and tear is BS.

I love engineers when they complain about cars lol
Everything you see, some engineer was pissed off at it lol
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

The first thing I felt when I saw and drove the 335i was that it was a soulless German killing machine. It is mechanically impressive and sound but no soul, no sense of humor, no fun. I guess it's all personal preference there.

I hope I don't have any reliability issues on my 65k machine! I had it checked out by a BMW mechanic before I bought it so hopefully he gave it a thorough lookiloo.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54King View Post
I know how you feel , even stupid annoyances such as coil packs etc... I took a look at a g37 and also test drove multiple e46 m3's but neither have the same feeling as the 335i. How the torque is delivered on the n54 is so magical, havent drove any other car with as much punch down low. I just put up with the annoyances and enjoy the benefits.
same
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Not sure I would recommend generalizing after coming into a used car.

BMW is a good brand, and like any other, it requires maintenance (and preventative maintenance). Any brand, even hyundai, will break down if you beat on it hard, and don't maintain it with the same rigor.

Only difference is that its much more expensive on the BMWs, and with your car coming out of a lease, thats exactly what previous lessee's were avoiding.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
The first thing I felt when I saw and drove the 335i was that it was a soulless German killing machine. It is mechanically impressive and sound but no soul, no sense of humor, no fun. I guess it's all personal preference there.

I hope I don't have any reliability issues on my 65k machine! I had it checked out by a BMW mechanic before I bought it so hopefully he gave it a thorough lookiloo.
Just drive with the top down, and all your troubles melt away!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
SirHoward
Captain
Rep
Drives: Da Car I Wanted

I don't go to the tracks, & I don't drive like a bat out of hell, so a E93 328i was just fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

The valve cover gasket is covered under the CPO. Also, you may want to read your contract in regards to your balloon payment. Sounds like you have a misconception.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Bigugly
sheesh!
United_States
Rep

Wait- did you go CPO or aftermarket warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
greye90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Bum deal. Sorry to hear about all your issues.

Just a heads up, BMW Select does NOT allow you to just "walk away" when you're done with your payments. You're still obligated to pay the balloon payment somehow. Cash, finance, etc.
thanks for the heads up.
Hope the trade in value is over the 10K balloon in 3 years. Car was purchased from Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver as a CPO car. Service has been great, only reason I haven't driven car through showroom yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
Bigugly
sheesh!
United_States
Rep

So wait again- a dealership denied replacing the valve cover under CPO as wear and tear?
Appreciate 0