E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Christmas Pressie - Porsche Turbo !!!

07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #67
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
With fear I may be sent to Coventry as 'Porscha!' was in her purchase of a 944 (I promise not to go on about classics and retro cars!!!) here is my Christmas present to myself.

I started off wanting a weekend fast road/track day car and most definitely wanted a rear drive car. I looked at '95 era 318ti BMW's, then cheap 924's and 944's. Even started to look at 944 Turbo's. What started with a budget of £500 was getting near if not over £5000 which was not my intention. I used to own a 924 back in '89 and loved it for the short time I had it. I have always wanted a 924 Carrera GT but due to the rarity they are either dogs for the money I can afford or £20k for the best of them. So I narrowed it down to a 924 Turbo with and intention of upgrading the the car to fast road/track spec mechanically at first and then on to Carrera GT spec visually further down the line.

This car has had a harder than average life, is not perfect and does not come with comprehensive history from new - perfect for modification then without upsetting purists in PCGB. It does come with bills for £,000's spent over the last ten years. And the previous owner spending a huge amount of time rebuilding the the engine, fuel system, overhauling the suspension, brakes and steering. So in short the hard and expensive work is mostly done. All I want to do now is start the process of upgrading the suspension with firmer, adjustable shocks and springs. Upgrade the stopping power. And finally add go faster engine kits to get the power up from 170bhp to around 230hp.

To the uninformed - yes it does have an engine block from an Audi and VW van. Yes it does have trim parts from VW. However the head and turbo, ZF LSD gearbox, brake calipers and hubs are all Porsche through and through. So no jokes on its VW heritage, thanks.

So here is my 1980 Series 1 924 Turbo
Very clean! Enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0