E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Proposal to raise the motorway speed limi

09-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
In my dreams there would be a separate lane on all motorways with forced gaps between cars where you'd have to drive at 155 to qualify.... i.e., you'd queue up at the starting toll booth and get released at set intervals.

sounds great to me!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Dunno if anyone else gets this but I have noticed whilst being in this BMW that people like to get right on top of you then pull out without indicating to overtake.

Get this a lot on normal roads but some dick in a Renault Laguna estate did it on the M5 the other day. Was in the middle lane due to slow moving lorries in the inside lane furhter on in the distance. He purposely slowed down in the outside lane instead of overtaking and obviously thought I was a central lane hogger, moved 3 lanes over to the inside without indicating then moved back behind me then to the outside lane again, all done without indicating btw (unless being a French car they had stopped working) by which time I was passing the aforementioned lorries at the 'usual' speed.

People try and be too clever at times on motorways imho.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Would be a good thing. From my point of view, I drive at a speed that I feel is safe for the car I'm in (with the limiting factor being trying to avoid getting in trouble).

When was the 70 limit set? Years ago. Since the, cars have moved on and 80 will be much safer now, than 70 was then.

If it it raised to 80 it won't make me drive faster, it will just make me less worried about getting into trouble.

Then there is the variable speed limit thing, like in France. I seem to remember seeing (might be wrong) speed limit signs which indicated dry and wet weather speeds. This seems sensible.

But again, I wouldn't be surprised if a modern car could stop from 80 in the rain quicker than a Morris Minor could stop from 70 in the dry!
the 70 mph speed limit was I think introduced in the early 70's during the power crisis when we had short working weeks power cuts and fuel shortages. I still have my fuel Ration slips for my Motorbike! Never used as "the crisis* was averted. but that said cars are now in a different league build wise and performance wise from those of the sixties and seventies 80 mph is a more than safe speed limit, living where I do, many of my trips are on the unlimited speed Autobahns, due to more driver awareness, the accident rate is lower than in the UK, so stop the "Fast track" driver training, start Learning motorway skills ON the Motorway and teach the twats how to park and reverse.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"

Last edited by ZURICH; 09-30-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: speeling mistook
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
I think the speed limit will go upto 80mph but the "allowance" for enforcement will come down from (70mph +10% +2-3mph) to (80mph + 5%). So in affect the speed people travel at will move up from 80 to 85 to avoid enforcement.

There deffo needs to be a bigger push on people driving to conditions. Trouble is its difficult to enforce it.
The % reduction/allowence will not change, why? all speedometers are allowed by law to have a + / -10% acuracy so the idea of this tollerance of 10% given by the police will never change unless the spedo callibration % is brought inline. My merc's speedo is out by almost 10% speedo reading 100Kph GPS reading 108 Kph.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_ball View Post
amazing how safe unlimited road speed in Germany feels and most are dual carriage way type. Just have to be sensible. If this was adopted, then things would settle down after a few years, just practice needed
Don't know if we can be compared to the Germans to be honest. The British mentality is just different and I doubt the vast majority in Britain could be trusted with the responsibility of driving at a speed that was within the limits of their ability. This thread alone proves that most would act like a kid in a sweet shop.

I also don't think the argument of cars being much safer holds much water. Human reaction time isn't any better than it was in 1965 when the current limit was set. Plus the majority of fatal injuries caused in car accidents are internal. Think internal organs smashing off your ribs as your body goes from 70-0 in 1 second. I can't recall the exact figures but I'm sure the chance of such injuries increases greatly with every 10mph speed increase above 30mph.

I am however in favour of the speed limit being raised purely because 80mph seems like a figure that gives a little back to us poor motorist almost like giving a well behaved dog a biscuit. I do however constantly worry about the number of people who suddenly think they can drive well at 100mph+ simply because their pay packet has allowed them to own a few quick cars thus making them "experienced".
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Found the answer as to when the 70 limit was intrduced

Q: When was the 70 mph motorway speed limit introduced in Britain?

A: The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser.

The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.

It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this.

It should be noted that this limit applied to all previously "derestricted" roads, not only motorways.

All rural roads in the Isle of Man (including most of the famous TT course) remain genuinely derestricted, as a matter of interest.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
In my dreams there would be a separate lane on all motorways with forced gaps between cars where you'd have to drive at 155 to qualify.... i.e., you'd queue up at the starting toll booth and get released at set intervals.

plus one....

and only good drivers allowed....with good driving skills...no vans, buses, lorries and mini cabs....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZURICH View Post
The % reduction/allowence will not change, why? all speedometers are allowed by law to have a + / -10% acuracy so the idea of this tollerance of 10% given by the police will never change unless the spedo callibration % is brought inline. My merc's speedo is out by almost 10% speedo reading 100Kph GPS reading 108 Kph.
I was under the impression that the legislation says that the speedo is NOT allowed to under-indicate the true speed; only over-indication is allowed - as indicated in the Hansard report for 12 Mar 2001. Is that not the case?

EDIT: of course, that's the UK (via EC directive and ECE regulation) so perhaps doesn't apply to you anyway. Just how "harmonised" is Switzerland with such euro-law?

Last edited by Shadow; 10-02-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #31
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

its not speed that kills, you are perfectly safe travelling at 100mph its the idiot whos doing 50 and pulls in front of you who is the danger, i say have a complsory minimum 80 mph on motorways and fine the sods who do 50!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Government stand to make more ££££''s as we will spend even more on fuel although no one holds a gun to your head saying "do 80mph"

I think the french have it right by adjusting the speed limit for bad weather
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #33
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post

I think the french have it right

dont EVER let me hear you say that again

On topic:

I agree with the idea of 80 being introduced, cars are alot better/safer now then they used to be, just worrying with the idiot drivers doing 50 as already stated in the thread