E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ohhhh noooo I hope they got it wrong! (The Stig Revealed)

01-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Ohhhh noooo I hope they got it wrong! (The Stig Revealed)

The Stig is really....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/en...00/7842682.stm
      01-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Nah - this is who the Stig is: http://www.motorauthority.com/top-ge...ar-driver.html

I may have to go out and see what Sniff Petrol has to say about all this. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

The last guy revealed his identity, Top Gear sacked him and made a new Stig. Looks like Stig VIII is on the cards...
      01-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I read he told the printer he was using for promo pics.. If that's the case then he'll get canned. Sadly.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

He had a good run, at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I can't understand what possible advantage there is to having this person be anonymous. The disadvantage is that you have no idea how good or bad a driver this person is, or if it's even the same driver one week to the next. How could it be better than having someone like Michael Schumacher test all the cars? Isn't it simply because it's the cheapest possible solution?
      01-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I can't understand what possible advantage there is to having this person be anonymous. The disadvantage is that you have no idea how good or bad a driver this person is, or if it's even the same driver one week to the next. How could it be better than having someone like Michael Schumacher test all the cars? Isn't it simply because it's the cheapest possible solution?
I agree. I love the show too, but I've never understood the reasoning behind the gimmick of the "anonymous driver".

Maybe it's a British thing? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

The Stig(s) unmasked Top Gear use FOUR different mystery test drivers

Not sure if people have seen this or if it’s a repost but couldn't find it when I searched.
Thought I would share the finding

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1123502/The-Stig-unmasked-Identity-Top-Gears-mystery-test-driver-revealed.html

The Stig(s) unmasked: Top Gear use FOUR different mystery test drivers

By Richard Simpson and Paul Revoir
Last updated at 10:59 AM on 21st January 2009

To viewers of Top Gear, the Stig is a mystery - part man, part machine with his face always hidden by a helmet.
Speculating on the identity of the driver, who posts lap times for cars being reviewed and trains celebrities to race round a circuit, has become part of the BBC2 show's mythology.

But today it can be revealed that the BBC employs at least four drivers to don his pristine racing whites.

Revealed: One of Top Gear's Stigs has been identified as former racer Ben Collins
The truth came out after a possible name of one of the drivers was disclosed as Ben Collins, a 33-year-old Bristol-based former American speedway driver and stuntman who doubled for Daniel Craig in the latest James Bond film.
Suspicions were raised that he might not be the only Stig after pictures emerged yesterday showing a separate man the BBC claimed to be the Stig attending the National Television Awards at the Royal Albert Hall in London on October 29 last year.
This Stig - dressed of course head to toe in racing whites and hiding behind a black visor - drove after the awards to the BBC HQ of Top Gear.
Eyewitnesses told how that Stig entered the studio late at night to change and was soon after pictured emerging from the building in jeans and teeshirt with a distinctive tight-fitting 'Arai' motor-racing woolly hat pulled over the top of his head.

Man behind the mask: The driver, pictured in his racing gear, let slip his big secret in the unlikely setting of an art store in Bristol
With perhaps a hint of irony, the tee-shirt, now available on high streets carried the slogan 'I Am The Stig'.
The man in question went by the name of 'Will'.
The trail heated up yesterday when a Top Gear source offered up another name.
Julian Bailey, a 47 year-old formula one driver who raced with Tyrrell and Lotus teams was also claimed to be currently working as Stig. There is one more unidentified Stig on the loose.
Further possible Stigs are also rumoured to take over when the other drivers' schedules were full.
A source on the show added: 'Look at the pictures of the Stigs from show to show. If you look at the height of Stig in different pictures, that tells its own story.

Need for speed: Ben Collins racing under his real identity
'In some he looks a lot taller than others. People have become obsessed with finding who the Stig is but they have not considered that it is possible that it is more than one person.

'The simple fact of the matter is that there are currently four Stigs who drive on the test track.

'Since the Stig first drove on the show, it has never been practical to have one single driver taking care of all the Stig's many commitments.'
The source added there was frustration at the repeated attempts to identify the mystery driver.
He said: 'We love to have the mystery around who he is. I just wish people would give it a rest, it's like telling people there is no Father Christmas.
‘All the kids that come to meet the Stig they want to believe he is a robot with magnetic knees.'
A BBC spokesman said: ‘We never comment on speculation as to whom or what the Stig is.’

Fast lane: The Stig with F1 champion Lewis Hamilton
      01-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Very true, he is like Father Christmas, you cannot shatter this illusion. Think of all the Top Gear viewers who would be devistated if they found out he was in fact a "human being"

I for one don't think I could ever watch the show again!!!

I am sure they can make a Stig VIII with some spare car parts.
      01-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Yea all those guys arent the real Stig. They're Stig's helpers.
Appreciate 0