E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Dump the 800 lb Gorilla (Weight Reduction)

08-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #67
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm at 3,200lbs with all my weight reduction. I've been obsessed about weight reduction since I got my car.
I will be adding a splitter and rear diffusor so maybe I'll ditch the rear seat. I'm going to add a harness bar too.
The weight reduction has improved my performance significantly. I'm only putting out about 280hp, but I'm keeping up with M3s on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #68
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Steering wheel? lol can't think of much..plastic windows? that would look cheap maybe a lighter glass? I have no idea if that exists but look around.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #69
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I'm at 3,200lbs with all my weight reduction. I've been obsessed about weight reduction since I got my car.
I will be adding a splitter and rear diffusor so maybe I'll ditch the rear seat. I'm going to add a harness bar too.
The weight reduction has improved my performance significantly. I'm only putting out about 280hp, but I'm keeping up with M3s on the track.
How did you get the weight down that much? I'm at 3550lbs with a BBK front + rear, BMW performance seats (which are still quite heavy) and a bit of M3 suspension parts (which weigh less compared to stock parts).

Looking to get a CF hood next year and maybe an M3 CF roof.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #70
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
How did you get the weight down that much? I'm at 3550lbs with a BBK front + rear, BMW performance seats (which are still quite heavy) and a bit of M3 suspension parts (which weigh less compared to stock parts).

He has a 330, so he doesn't have the extra plumbing, turbos, IC, OC, only single exhaust pipe etc.
      08-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #71
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ievo View Post
our cars arent meant to be track cars...
That's a sad statement.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #72
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post

If you look at my sig you'll see that I have a CF hood, roof and trunk. Roof saved 65lbs getting rid of the sunroof.
Wheels saved 40lbs. Stoptech BBK, Dinan muffler, Braile 21lbs battery and Coil-overs all saved weight as well.
I have Sparco Milano seats, but they only saved about 30lbs. If I'd get race shells, I could cut another 60-70lbs!

In all, I cut almost 200lbs. off my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #73
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
335i does not have the cooling or weight advantage on the track. it is probably the worst BMW to track aside X models. Lack of LSD is another disadvantage. to track reliably you will have to install oil cooler, possibly larger radiator, and intercooler. tracking xi is even worse, not to mention that is less to be learned on the track from AWD ..in comparison to RWD dynamics.

buy e36 M3 or e46 m3. better steering, LSD, 200-400lb less in stock form, cheaper parts (e36).

pick the right tools for the job, not wrong tools that need to be modified to do the job right.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #74
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
335i does not have the cooling or weight advantage on the track. it is probably the worst BMW to track aside X models. Lack of LSD is another disadvantage. to track reliably you will have to install oil cooler, possibly larger radiator, and intercooler. tracking xi is even worse, not to mention that is less to be learned on the track from AWD ..in comparison to RWD dynamics.

buy e36 M3 or e46 m3. better steering, LSD, 200-400lb less in stock form, cheaper parts (e36).

pick the right tools for the job, not wrong tools that need to be modified to do the job right.
This attitude has no place on E90post. There are E36 and E46 boards where you can go discuss those cars. This board and this thread are for discussions involving the improvement of E90 series BMW's. If someone makes a thread entitled "do you think I should mod my E90 or buy an E36?" this discussion belongs there.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #75
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
This attitude has no place on E90post. There are E36 and E46 boards where you can go discuss those cars. This board and this thread are for discussions involving the improvement of E90 series BMW's. If someone makes a thread entitled "do you think I should mod my E90 or buy an E36?" this discussion belongs there.
Attitude? I drive E92 335. Have every right I want to complain about the car I own. Pointing out the obvious about our cars is well within this thread and boards. Anybody who tracks these cars on consistent basis will tell you lack of LSD and cooling are FACTS.

Last edited by malter2.0; 10-01-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #76
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Attitude? I drive E92 335. Have every right I want to complain about the car I own. Pointing out the obvious about our cars is well within this thread and boards. Anybody who tracks these cars on consistent basis will tell you lack of LSD and cooling are FACTS.
It lacks big FMIC, loud exhaust, and cool wheels too. People fix these items via aftermarket parts. LSD and oil coolers/transmission coolers are also available.

Suggest fixes rather than throwing up your hands and telling people to buy a different car and your advice might even be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #77
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Suggest fixes rather than throwing up your hands and telling people to buy a different car and your advice might even be helpful.

He did suggest fixes in his post (oil cooler, intercooler, LSD, radiator). I don't think he meant to insult anyone, but he's telling the truth, lol. But if you are just doing a few track days, it's no big deal, just run what you brung and don't put a ton of work into your car. Just avoid the hot summer months and you should be mostly okay.

but if you are really serious about tracking, you need to be prepared to spend a very large amount of money, and you'll have to give up some of the creature comforts that make the 335i such a great street car. After it's all added up, you could have used that money to get a 2nd car for the track that would be faster, and more fun than the 335i on the track, yet you'll still be able to keep your comfortable 335 for the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #78
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
He did suggest fixes in his post (oil cooler, intercooler, LSD, radiator). I don't think he meant to insult anyone, but he's telling the truth, lol. But if you are just doing a few track days, it's no big deal, just run what you brung and don't put a ton of work into your car. Just avoid the hot summer months and you should be mostly okay.

but if you are really serious about tracking, you need to be prepared to spend a very large amount of money, and you'll have to give up some of the creature comforts that make the 335i such a great street car. After it's all added up, you could have used that money to get a 2nd car for the track that would be faster, and more fun than the 335i on the track, yet you'll still be able to keep your comfortable 335 for the street.
I'm not saying the advice doesn't have merit, just that it doesn't belong in a "help me improve my car" thread. It belongs in a "should I mod my car or buy a different one?" thread, of which there are some.

It would be like going in the power/mods thread and spamming every thread with "ZOMG THAT IZ SO DUM GET AN '85 STANG FOR POWER AND KEEP YOUR 335 NICE FOR THE STREET LOLZ!!!!!" it's true, it's just not useful.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #79
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

The first thing on cooling to address is the radiator and NOT oil cooler first, then the radiator. This has been proven time after time.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #80
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The first thing on cooling to address is the radiator and NOT oil cooler first, then the radiator. This has been proven time after time.
Off-topic for this thread, but what do you recommend doing to address the radiator issue? No vendor that I know of markets an upgraded radiator for 335's.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #81
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Off-topic for this thread, but what do you recommend doing to address the radiator issue? No vendor that I know of markets an upgraded radiator for 335's.
I believe there is one out there. Do a search.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #82
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I believe there is one out there. Do a search.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=radiator

Thats the only one I could find... obviously thats a fail.

Do you remember who made it?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #83
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
Hey Guys,
So, at the last autocross I went to, a WRX STI demolished every BMW in its tracks. The STI is 3300 lbs. My brother has been eyeballing a Porsche Cayman S and will probably be getting one before next autocross season, and I'm trying to get him into autocross. The Cayman S is 3000 lbs. My roommate drives a Nissan 240sx. 2800lbs

Now, I drive a 6MT 335xi E90. 3800lbs. My brother has pretty much always beat me at everything (except anything technical but that's a whole nother story for a whole nother day), so I'm looking to drop some weight from my car.

Hopefully this thread will stand as a central place to find where to drop weight from our cars. I'm looking to drop at least 200 lbs while still "feeling" stock and being daily drivable....i.e. while keeping my girlfriend from killing me every time she gets in my car Maybe in a year or so I'll jump for nice racing seats reupholstered to match my Terra but that's a bit too deep for my pockets atm. So by daily drivable I mean keep all audio/nav components, A/C, etc.

I fully understand that this is sort of ridiculous so please do not flame me, if you don't have anything helpful to say relating to this issue please do not post. I also fully understand that our cars aren't necessarily designed to be light and aren't the greatest to start with if looking for light. I ALSO understand that weight isn't everything, but hell WHY NOT drop a few pounds right? I'm already on a diet

Here's what I have found so far, although I don't know of most of the exact weight savings numbers... I don't know if I will personally be able to get well....any of these before next season but if I can get an idea I might be able to scrap some together :-P

-Wheels/Non-RFT Tires (Unsprung): ~45lbs
-Lightweight Battery (Rear): ~40 lbs (stat by HP Autowerks)
-CF Hood (Front): ~30lbs
-CF Boot (Rear): ~15lbs
-Exhaust (Center): ~20lbs
-Removing rear seats (Rear): ?? (for track days...)
-Replacing front seats (Front): ~80lbs (stat by HP Autowerks)

SUGGESTIONS:
-Headers
-LTW Control Arms
-Interior Panelling
-FMIC
-Downpipes
-Intake

Anyone know of any other permanentish mods that dump weight without damaging daily drivability? Preferably the mods would be in the front to dampen that 53/47 or so split we have going.

Thanks,
Dave

UPDATE May 31, 2008: My car weighs in at 3740 with Kosei K1/Bridgestone RE01R

There is a member on here who turned his 335i into a full blown track vehicle. Fuck whatever everyone is telling you to do to YOUR car. It's YOUR car man. Turn it into YOUR creation, and if it makes YOU happy, then do it. Sure, take some advice from people on here, but take the ideas that you want to use.

I forget the member's name, but his car is named "Blue" and it's sick. That said, get out there, and make something!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #84
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It lacks big FMIC, loud exhaust, and cool wheels too. People fix these items via aftermarket parts. LSD and oil coolers/transmission coolers are also available.

Yes, I am familiar with a novel concept of spending money to polish a turd. I did suggest fixes, which happen to cost quite a bit of money. Not sure what is your problem? This topic is well within the thread discussion. Get over it. Point is pick the right tool for the job. It will be more realiable and way easier to deal with down the road. If you don't think so, go ahead and knock yourself out with 10k worth of mods you get bone stock in '01-04 M3 with 90k for $15k.

HPAutowerks, yes, you are correct. Radiator first.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #85
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with a novel concept of spending money to polish a turd. I did suggest fixes, which happen to cost quite a bit of money. Not sure what is your problem? This topic is well within the thread discussion. Get over it. Point is pick the right tool for the job. It will be more realiable and way easier to deal with down the road. If you don't think so, go ahead and knock yourself out with 10k worth of mods you get bone stock in '01-04 M3 with 90k for $15k.
Firstly, LSD + M3 Arms + coilovers + M3 subframe bushings = about $5k. I'll go ahead and throw in a really big oil cooler since you'll need it to go tracking; $6k.

Lets go ahead and make our 335i faster than an M3 in a straight line as well; VRSF downpipes and FMIC, $800, procede/dci/flex fuel (for E85) $2k.

So for $8800 we have a 450rwhp beast mode 335i on E85.

This is less than $10k and ends up faster in every way than a comparable M3. Check M3 prices relative to 335i prices and determine if you made a good purchase.

Obviously E46's are cheaper. Why not get an earlier year C5 corvette in that case, better in every way than an E46 and even cheaper; much more potential too. Why not get a.... pretty soon we should just link this thread to autotrader.com .

Quote:
HPAutowerks, yes, you are correct. Radiator first.
Still waiting for someone to link me this upgrade radiator for sale. I've looked, there isn't one.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #86
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The only radiator-related upgrade I know of is the BMW Performance Power Kit V2 which includes a more powerful fan for it and an additional water cooler.
      10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #87
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

there are a few 335i options if you scroll down, but I don't know if this has been tried or confirmed to function yet.
http://www.pwreurope.com/radiators.html
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #88
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Firstly, LSD + M3 Arms + coilovers + M3 subframe bushings = about $5k. I'll go ahead and throw in a really big oil cooler since you'll need it to go tracking; $6k.
wavetrac installed (got quotes i can email you if you'd like) is $3k+
installed and corner balanced good C/O are $3k+
subframe bushings+M3 arms is labor intensive job $2.5k+

minium $8.5k there. more like $9-10k if you don't live in poverty states where indy shops rates are still $50/hour.

Quote:
Lets go ahead and make our 335i faster than an M3 in a straight line as well; VRSF downpipes and FMIC, $800, procede/dci/flex fuel (for E85) $2k.
Lets!

software $700
installed FMIC and DP=$3k
forgot O2 simulators
raditor+labor=$1k

$5k

So for $15k we have a 450rwhp 335i on E85 that still DOES NOT have the brakes, steering ratio, seats, all the bushings, and missing all the structural rigidity supports of M3. wow, what a deal! I just spent $15k making my 335i less reliable and costing more than equivalent year/mileage m3, which will still be superior on the track and still cost more during resale.

Quote:
Obviously E46's are cheaper. Why not get an earlier year C5 corvette in that case, better in every way than an E46 and even cheaper; much more potential too.. Why not get a.... pretty soon we should just link this thread to autotrader.com .
Did you just say C5 is better in every way than E46 M3? I have no further comments. At all.
Appreciate 0