E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > More questions about our transmissions.. (6mt)

11-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

More questions about our transmissions.. (6mt)

1.Can our transmissions be rebuilt? I read in a few places that some companies only sell full on trannies and not rebuild kits needed in some cases(one being the new GTR). I just wanna make sure I don't have to buy a new tranny. Is it also required to replace the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate etc. during a transmission rebuild?

2. What are the correct break in procedures for a new / rebuilt transmission? I know you should do a fluid change at 500 miles and once again at 1000 but what else ? Like detailed instructions please

UPDATE: turns out the whole drive line and second gear was broken along with misc. gears and a bearing or two. In short, I am having it replaced.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.

Last edited by kiwi29; 11-30-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
A very good mechanic can rebuild a standard 6MT from a 328i/335i. In the case of an M3 GTR, that is a whole different gear set and I don't think I could trust anyone but the factory with it.

Maintenance/Break-in should be the same as the new car recommendations for a replacement or rebuild. Download the guide from BMW's owners circle site.
      11-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
A very good mechanic can rebuild a standard 6MT from a 328i/335i. In the case of an M3 GTR, that is a whole different gear set and I don't think I could trust anyone but the factory with it.

Maintenance/Break-in should be the same as the new car recommendations for a replacement or rebuild. Download the guide from BMW's owners circle site.
Thank you for being the only one to answer my prayers lol
I've been searching around for distributors of spare parts for the transmission but I haven't seem to have found anyone. Do you know of anyone? I've searched from tischer bmw to the actual dealership. The dealership won't sell me single parts such as a bearing, synchro etc. Without having it fixed there. I find 2000 repulsive just to throw a new part in when a new transmission costs a few hundred more.
I figured the recommendations of the break-in to be somewhat the same but I just wanted to make sure thank you!
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

Whats wrong with your transmission? How many miles do you have? Curious as to why you'd be having problems with the transmission on an 09'?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
Whats wrong with your transmission? How many miles do you have? Curious as to why you'd be having problems with the transmission on an 09'?
I drive my car a lot more and harder than the factory would approve, I have 70k miles on my car now maybe more ? My transmission rattles and knocks in first second and neutral. I think I broke something inside that has something to do with first to second. Possibly the synchro
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

maybe a transmission mount if your referring to the shift knob shaking? If you"broke" something in the transmission it would be more evident and you'd like not be able to shift into certain gears at all or without some horrific noises.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
maybe a transmission mount if your referring to the shift knob shaking? If you"broke" something in the transmission it would be more evident and you'd like not be able to shift into certain gears at all or without some horrific noises.
The thing is, whenever I let go of the clutch in first second and even n neutral, it makes a loud rattling sound and it isn't from the shift knob. Sounds like the flywheel is spinning but it is hitting something while it does because when I dip the clutch back in, the noise has to wind down, it doesn't immediately stop. If it were a mount, I believe it would do it every gear regardless if the clutch was engaged or not right?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
That sounds more like a clutch issue than the trans, maybe an issue engaging the plates. Especially if you are feeling it in the clutch pedal and not in the shift stack. I have had some funny things happen to me on the new 6MT that I never experienced in the e36 M3 5speed.

I attributed the engagement issues to the clutch delay valve not keeping up when I am power shifting and have only felt a slip due to engagement fault once, which was a bad one.

After a lot of miles, MT Bimmers have always been known to develop clutch rattle wich is noticeable in low gears and when cold but fades after a few miles of warm-up.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Start simple dude, a fluid change, new mount and maybe a t/o bearing.
      11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

sounds like a to bearing issue to me
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds more like a clutch issue than the trans, maybe an issue engaging the plates. Especially if you are feeling it in the clutch pedal and not in the shift stack. I have had some funny things happen to me on the new 6MT that I never experienced in the e36 M3 5speed.

I attributed the engagement issues to the clutch delay valve not keeping up when I am power shifting and have only felt a slip due to engagement fault once, which was a bad one.

After a lot of miles, MT Bimmers have always been known to develop clutch rattle wich is noticeable in low gears and when cold but fades after a few miles of warm-up.
I completely agree. The CDV is a major problem which is why I had it also deleted. Luckily the lovely people at bmw made it simple to just punch it out and replace it
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Start simple dude, a fluid change, new mount and maybe a t/o bearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
sounds like a to bearing issue to me

It turned out to be the entire transmission was shot. I some how broke 3 gears. (Idler, 1st and 2nd) broke the rear bearing and destroyed the synchro from first to engage in second. Simple to say, I hate this weak transmission that comes on n52s... I've driven civics harder than this and they held up. Makes me question the quality of
he transmission and its components.. this is the second time the car has been in the shop for a faulty transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep

not trying to be a dick but have you considered it might have something to do with your driving/shifting style? seeing as though this is your 2nd time...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not trying to be a dick but have you considered it might have something to do with your driving/shifting style? seeing as though this is your 2nd time...
I thought about it a lot actually, but the thing is I don't crunch gears. I don't use any more force to shift than to maybe open the door. Even when shifting fast, I don't ever just pound it in to gear so I'm questioned on that... the first time was from a faulty flywheel and pressure plate luckily it was replaced. And now its this bs with the tranny I called bmw and told them and they are sending me a new transmission for half cost being that I'm out of warranty. The people at aamco told me that my gears looked like they were from 1980 -.- it was badly abused but how? I don't clutchless shift/ override the synchros or anything??
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I thought about it a lot actually, but the thing is I don't crunch gears. I don't use any more force to shift than to maybe open the door. Even when shifting fast, I don't ever just pound it in to gear so I'm questioned on that... the first time was from a faulty flywheel and pressure plate luckily it was replaced. And now its this bs with the tranny I called bmw and told them and they are sending me a new transmission for half cost being that I'm out of warranty. The people at aamco told me that my gears looked like they were from 1980 -.- it was badly abused but how? I don't clutchless shift/ override the synchros or anything??
are you the original owner? maybe previous owner was hard on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you the original owner? maybe previous owner was hard on it?
Actually I am the original owner, I never really drove it that hard even in the canyons (I stayed in 1 gear) that's why I was shocked it broke again! And
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Actually I am the original owner, I never really drove it that hard even in the canyons (I stayed in 1 gear) that's why I was shocked it broke again! And
Ok, my two cents on blowing out a trans without dump shifting. you MUST wait when shifting into first gear from reverse until you are completely stopped. I have seen people blow out their trans this way while never grinding a gear.

Also, staying in first gear on a Canyon run is a great way to burn up the gear, it can overheat very easy, causing warp in the gear which is worse than a grind. First is not a cruising gear, just a momentum starter.

My brother in-law tracked the village bycycle (e36 M3) with me at Laguna Seca one year and never shifted above third. I got to my first hot lap after our third session that day and the trans was shot. I tried to get into third and it wasn't there and it would have been a money shift to go down to second where I was so I took a sideways journey into the infield.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, my two cents on blowing out a trans without dump shifting. you MUST wait when shifting into first gear from reverse until you are completely stopped. I have seen people blow out their trans this way while never grinding a gear.

Also, staying in first gear on a Canyon run is a great way to burn up the gear, it can overheat very easy, causing warp in the gear which is worse than a grind. First is not a cruising gear, just a momentum starter.

My brother in-law tracked the village bycycle (e36 M3) with me at Laguna Seca one year and never shifted above third. I got to my first hot lap after our third session that day and the trans was shot. I tried to get into third and it wasn't there and it would have been a money shift to go down to second where I was so I took a sideways journey into the infield.
Lol when I said I stay in 1 gear I mean I down run thru all the gears. I usually am in 3rd or forth depending on if I'm driving hard or cruising. If I'm going for an "all-out" run, ill go thru the gears more but usually when I'm going for a spirited/hard run, its usually just from 3rd to 4th and that's about it. When I do an all out run, it consists of hitting from 2nd gear(usually to slow down and rocket out of a corner) to 5th gear(to gain excessive speed)
I'm hardly in first gear unless I'm balancing out, once I'm rolling its straight to second, I feel as if our first gear is too jerky for my taste. I avoid it as much as possible, even in slow traffic

Ouchhh, I always thought if you don't shift into certain gears, those are the ones that'll be longer lasting. Me personally, I go to the lowest gear possible, sometimes even when racing (dumb as it sounds, I'm being truthful lol) luckily you didn't hit anything, or did you?

Last edited by kiwi29; 11-29-2012 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
I started a flat spin in turn four which was heading me towards a large tire wall so I hooked it hard left and spun into the GP "kitty litter". That was a few years ago and we still find rocks in the car. Only damage was to the tires and rims from the spin. Rescue came to pull me out and tore the Dinan strut brace off trying to tow from that instead of the engine hook because the bumper hook was buried. I drove the beast home on 4 spare wheels from 4 different cars.
      11-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I started a flat spin in turn four which was heading me towards a large tire wall so I hooked it hard left and spun into the GP "kitty litter". That was a few years ago and we still find rocks in the car. Only damage was to the tires and rims from the spin. Rescue came to pull me out and tore the Dinan strut brace off trying to tow from that instead of the engine hook because the bumper hook was buried. I drove the beast home on 4 spare wheels from 4 different cars.
Holy crap O.O luckily you guys didn't make impact on anything. Sir, you drove home like a boss! were they at least the same size?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Holy crap O.O luckily you guys didn't make impact on anything. Sir, you drove home like a boss! were they at least the same size?
Nope, my track spare, my street spare, my wife's e46 spare, my father-in-laws spare. It wasn't pretty, I may have an old pic of it somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, my track spare, my street spare, my wife's e46 spare, my father-in-laws spare. It wasn't pretty, I may have an old pic of it somewhere.
LOL! Please post a pic if you find it!
function over form!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanill View Post
What it really comes down to is the fine print in those warranties. You will find all kinds of things that will very quickly void the warranty. All that fine print is there for a reason. To protect the transmission shop owner from paying for expensive warranty repairs.
Yeah I finally read all the fine print at the tranny shop this morning actually, it says 1 year warranty on MANUFACTURE's defect, not if the tranny blows again because of driver errors. And its 1 year or 3k miles, which ever comes first so I'm kinda screwed because its right on the dot of how many miles I drive in a year.
Appreciate 0