E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > [HELP]Audio System: NON-Logic 328i coupe

05-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Watah
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport E92 335i

[HELP]Audio System: NON-Logic 328i coupe

I've done searches... It's just that everyone here has the 335i with Logic so I was wondering if anyone here had information on putting an amplifier/speakers/subs in a non-logic 328i COUPE while keeping the head unit.
      05-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Franciebaby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i AW prem,nav,sat,ca

I too have tried to ask this with very little help from any forum. There are ways to upgrade our system to even better than the Logic 7 which in I had in my Mercedes and it just wasn't what I was looking for in a car audio system. So I chose to make aftermarket changes. You can go to a website called avincar.com and this guy is awesome. He gave me a detailed descripition and if he had not been 3000 miles away I would have gone to his company to do the installation. I changed the front door speakers and put them on a new 4 channel amp. Left the factory subs and the rear speakers on the factory amp. Put in a kicker square 8" sub on another amp in the trunk, takes up very little space. Be sure to use silk dome tweeters in the front for a warmer sound. The main problem is finding a 4" component for the front door panels. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

Hey, Im in the same boat. I sent a message to avincar stating my needs in a sound system.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Watah
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport E92 335i

Exclamation

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Obviously I can't change my Head Unit because apparently its very complicated (fiber optics?!?) and its connected to the car's computer... so how would I be able to hook this thing up to a pair of amps?

All I'm asking is a checklist of items I need.
Would the JL Audio Cleansweep work?
Is there any other equipment I would need to get a sub installed?

Please answer this question...I really would like a soundsystem in my car but I have no idea where to start ...and it seems like nobody here ever has a E92 328i and wants an aftermarket soundsystem ...
      12-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

It's pretty simple actually. Swap the speakers in the front and rear a brand you like (Infinity, Morel MB Quart etc.)

Tap the line level inputs from the factury HU and run them through a LOC/Line Driver/EQ then to your amp and then back to the speaker outputs from the amp.

Honestly I am making it sound simpler than it is but I am putting up a complete DIY next week. It's taken me some trial and error to figure everything out and I have had some serious help from avincar's posts, along with Technic and Bigjae.

If you need specifics just PM and I will let you know what to do as best as I can.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

where are you located? i can recommend a great shop if in the tri state area
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Back from the dead....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
bgardin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328I

Looking forward to your DIY...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
tedcousens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

specs for E90 stock sound system

Actually, someone on this site posted all the specs for the stock amp and speakers with wattage, freq response and the whole deal. Here it is>>>

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...10&postcount=3

Roi Batty
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
debt negotiator
Rep
Drives: 328

This should answer your questions...

I have been reading about audio upgrades on this site but for some reason have not found a topic with a list of the "ideal" components. Here is what I bought so far..

2x 4" focal components 50 rms $359.00
2x 4" MB Quart qsd 210 40rms $299.00
Zapco i450 500w 4 channel $250.00
1 JL Audio 10w6 v2 10" 400w sub $225.00
Alpine monoblock 400w amp $200.00
custom sub enclosure $100.00...this is built to go over the amp space on the left side of trunk. Found it on ebay.

So far I've spent about $1500.00 I estimate another $350.00-$500.00 install. I want to keep it classy but have as close to the best as possible without going overboard and dropping 5k.

I finished my install and the only other items i needed was a jl audio clean sweep and the summing unit. A few extra cables and thats all. The Ausio control logic 8 did not work. It caused all kinds of problems such as the door chime coming out of all speakers full blast and the nav. chicks voice was blaring. The speakers sounded as though they had pillows covering them everything was muffled.

Once I installed the clean sweep and summing unit it was near perfect. The only issue I am having now is the subs under the seats need to be replaced with some jl 6" 2 ways and I should have a superb sounding system. Actually, I am also getting rid of the alpine mono and getting a 500w 5 ch jl audio amp and either using the 1 amp for all or possibly using the zapco for the sub or the 2 under the seats.

If you use the same set up you will be fine. I have a 2007 328i e92.

The stock system is ok but once you put some real speakers in with good power the sound is night and day. I suggest using the clean sweep since it costs the same as the 3sixty.2 but easier to configure.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
tedcousens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

speakers only

I want to try replacing speakers only and wondered if anyone had experience with BSW vs. say, Boston Acoustics or Infinity Reference? Crutchfield has Infinity Reference less than BSW and they are known as very high quality speakers - they have the 1" tweet and 4" full range and repalcement. Any comments?

Roi Batty
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by debt negotiator View Post
This should answer your questions...

I have been reading about audio upgrades on this site but for some reason have not found a topic with a list of the "ideal" components. Here is what I bought so far..

2x 4" focal components 50 rms $359.00
2x 4" MB Quart qsd 210 40rms $299.00
Zapco i450 500w 4 channel $250.00
1 JL Audio 10w6 v2 10" 400w sub $225.00
Alpine monoblock 400w amp $200.00
custom sub enclosure $100.00...this is built to go over the amp space on the left side of trunk. Found it on ebay.

So far I've spent about $1500.00 I estimate another $350.00-$500.00 install. I want to keep it classy but have as close to the best as possible without going overboard and dropping 5k.

I finished my install and the only other items i needed was a jl audio clean sweep and the summing unit. A few extra cables and thats all. The Ausio control logic 8 did not work. It caused all kinds of problems such as the door chime coming out of all speakers full blast and the nav. chicks voice was blaring. The speakers sounded as though they had pillows covering them everything was muffled.

Once I installed the clean sweep and summing unit it was near perfect. The only issue I am having now is the subs under the seats need to be replaced with some jl 6" 2 ways and I should have a superb sounding system. Actually, I am also getting rid of the alpine mono and getting a 500w 5 ch jl audio amp and either using the 1 amp for all or possibly using the zapco for the sub or the 2 under the seats.

If you use the same set up you will be fine. I have a 2007 328i e92.

The stock system is ok but once you put some real speakers in with good power the sound is night and day. I suggest using the clean sweep since it costs the same as the 3sixty.2 but easier to configure.

Good luck!
Was this done in a Non-Logic7 (HiFi) audio system? If so, I don't see why the Cleansweep or much less the summing, unless you are tapping the OEM amp outputs, which is not necessary at all in a HiFi system.

The interface should be done at the OEM HU/Tuner outputs (OEM amp inputs). The OEM amp is to be bypassed unless you are using it to solely drive the rear speakers, for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
I want to try replacing speakers only and wondered if anyone had experience with BSW vs. say, Boston Acoustics or Infinity Reference? Crutchfield has Infinity Reference less than BSW and they are known as very high quality speakers - they have the 1" tweet and 4" full range and repalcement. Any comments?

I tested the infinity kappa (better than reference series), yet the high is too harsh because tweeter is not from Silk. I replaced them with Polk DB and sound better. check out circuitcity. I got them from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
debt negotiator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Was this done in a Non-Logic7 (HiFi) audio system? If so, I don't see why the Cleansweep or much less the summing, unless you are tapping the OEM amp outputs, which is not necessary at all in a HiFi system.

The interface should be done at the OEM HU/Tuner outputs (OEM amp inputs). The OEM amp is to be bypassed unless you are using it to solely drive the rear speakers, for example.
i'll let my installer read this and try to translate to me. I do not have the logic 7. i've spent so much time and wasted money on crap I didnt need but it seems like many others have gone down the same path as me. the system sounds great right now but what i really have a problem with is the volume control. using the oem volume and the dial from the clean sweep is annoying having to always adjust both and not remembering which one i used last. Had I known what I was getting myself into I would never have started the project.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
ltdorn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98831

this is a plug and play install for the e90.....
Sierra Vista, Az.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by debt negotiator View Post
i'll let my installer read this and try to translate to me. I do not have the logic 7. i've spent so much time and wasted money on crap I didnt need but it seems like many others have gone down the same path as me. the system sounds great right now but what i really have a problem with is the volume control. using the oem volume and the dial from the clean sweep is annoying having to always adjust both and not remembering which one i used last. Had I known what I was getting myself into I would never have started the project.
The Cleansweep is perfect for Logic7 systems as the OEM DSP amp is digital (the OEM HU/Nav Tuner communication and signaling with the OEM amp is thru the MOST network, not thru regular wires), thus as there are no analog amp inputs then only the analog amp outputs can be used to add aftermarket equipment. Those OEM DSP amp outputs are crossover'ed, EQ and amplified, so it will require a processor that can sum channels (to recreate the full range signal), "de-EQ" the signal (to eliminate any peaks and valleys in the signal to make it as flat as possible) and convert the resulting output signal high level to low level for aftermarket amps downstream.

The non-Logic7 amplifier is analog, therefore it can be bypassed for aftermarket equipment at its full range, non-EQ, low level, flat signal inputs (OEM HU or Nav Tuner outputs). As you can see, no Cleansweep is necessary for the standard OEM audio system as the OEM HU/Tuner outputs are ready for aftermarket interface.

Your installer should have known about this, although I understand where the confusion could have come: the iDrive. In the 335 the standard sound system is Logic7 (regardless of iDrive), so if the installer only have done installations on 335i with iDrive then they could have assumed -incorrectly- that your system was Logic7, without paying attention that your car was a 328i, in which the Logic7 is optional.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #17
gyudolee
SoCal Tint Group
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

If you want to install aftermarket amp and sub to your factory radio, first get the part called Hi/Low converter. This is the part that connects to aftermarket amp's RCA input and positive/negative speaker wires. Factory radios don't have RCA jacks in the back, so this is the only way to find the RCA input connections.

Second, pop the trunk, open the cover on the bottom left side of your trunk.
There will be all the speaker wires going through, then with the test light, find the wire for the remote, on the amp.(if you don't know how, PM me, I'll send you some pictures.)

And connect power and ground to the amp, then connect the sub wires to the amp.

I have installed the aftermarket sound system in my car, and have no problems at all. Sounds very clean and loud.

Let me know if you need help.

-= SoCal Tint Group =-
-= SCTINT.COM =-

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #18
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

i just put an aftermarket system in my car. 10X better. i'm throwing some hertz HT25 and HV100's in the front with a 300.4 JL.

I had a custom band pass box built. the subs face each other. they cut a hole behind my center arm rest for the bass to fill the car. they called it force loading or something like that.

i have two 10w3v3 with a 500.1 jl. shit is rocking.

they drilled a hole under the drivers side and installed a RBC-1 bass control knob. Only the Knob shows, and the the bulk of the unit is hidden.

In the trunk, they did a clean job, and it only shows the amp in the center. It looks like it was made that way. A+!!!

I have ZERO rattling.

but the logic 7 speakers don't have a gain for me to adjust so i have to replace it to match the output of the subs.

its super fresh, and it only took a tiny bit of my trunk space!!!

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
debt negotiator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
It's pretty simple actually. Swap the speakers in the front and rear a brand you like (Infinity, Morel MB Quart etc.)

Tap the line level inputs from the factury HU and run them through a LOC/Line Driver/EQ then to your amp and then back to the speaker outputs from the amp.

Honestly I am making it sound simpler than it is but I am putting up a complete DIY next week. It's taken me some trial and error to figure everything out and I have had some serious help from avincar's posts, along with Technic and Bigjae.

If you need specifics just PM and I will let you know what to do as best as I can.

After finally finishing my system with the exception of some minor clean up, the above advice and the advice given by Technics probably saved someone their life and alot of unnecessary money. Special props to technics for all the time spent on PMing me advice.

Tapping the oem HU is key. My system consists of 2 focal 4" a jl 10" w6 2 mb quart qsd 210, pdx 4.100, pdx 1.600 alpine amps also 2 sws earthquakes under seats. My system sounds incredible. I have a genelec 7.1 surround system in my home $5k+. Anyone who knows anything about genelec will know I appreciate good sound. There are better systems out there of course for auto sound however the difference price wise is far greater than what you would get in sound. I was simply looking for high quality clean sound. Not to bounce through the neighborhood.

I'll post pics once I have the clean up done.

Last edited by debt negotiator; 01-27-2008 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaddwatah View Post
I've done searches... It's just that everyone here has the 335i with Logic so I was wondering if anyone here had information on putting an amplifier/speakers/subs in a non-logic 328i COUPE while keeping the head unit.
In case the OP is still looking for a solution, I'm going with this, once it's released, http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php (i.e. BSW Stage 1 audio upgrade).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #21
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I suspect you'll never see that kit.
Appreciate 0