E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Oil Leaks? Sensor? Whats going on?

04-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Exclamation Engine Oil Leaks? Sensor? Whats going on?

Anyone know whst happenning here? It says engine oil is fine but when i check the control messages and the engine oil tab it says its low? Why does one say its low and in the status tab it says its "OK"?

I checked the car but no leaks at all. Im still under warranty but im just wondering whats going on. Trips me out.

When i try to put in a request for service i get this error? It was working fine before not sure whats going on now.

Any help is appreciated. Im sure if i take it to the dealer all they will say is its ok just a glitch

Last edited by jrdnlc; 04-10-2012 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Simple - your oil does not need changing (Status screen). But you are low on oil (Service Requirements screen). They are two different matters.

So go to your dealer and ask them to top it off under the covered maintenance plan. If they won't or you are too busy to accomodate their schedule, buy a quart of BMW branded 5w30 synthetic from your dealer and add it yourself. The owner's manual will show you how to do it.

And if you cannot get to your dealer, buy some Mobil 1 0w40 (NOT 5w30) and top off with that.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K.
Simple - your oil does not need changing (Status screen). But you are low on oil (Service Requirements screen). They are two different matters.

So go to your dealer and ask them to top it off under the covered maintenance plan. If they won't or you are too busy to accomodate their schedule, buy a quart of BMW branded 5w30 synthetic from your dealer and add it yourself. The owner's manual will show you how to do it.

And if you cannot get to your dealer, buy some Mobil 1 0w40 (NOT 5w30) and top off with that.

Tom
What would cause the engine level to be low though? Is my car burning oil? The oil level is not suppose to go low unless u have a leak or something serious going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekd View Post
What would cause the engine level to be low though? Is my car burning oil? The oil level is not suppose to go low unless u have a leak or something serious going on.
How many miles since you changed the oil?

IIRC, BMW (and most other manufacturers) consider adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so to be "normal", although a quart every 5~8,000 seems more reasonable in the real world.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How many miles since you changed the oil?

IIRC, BMW (and most other manufacturers) consider adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so to be "normal", although a quart every 5~8,000 seems more reasonable in the real world.

Tom
Last oil change was done in June 2011. I went to the dealer and they told me it wasnt covered under warranty so i had to buy one quart of oil and put it in. All is good now
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last oil change was done in June 2011. I went to the dealer and they told me it wasnt covered under warranty so i had to buy one quart of oil and put it in. All is good now
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Don't forget that since you are still under warranty, you will have a free oil change coming this June. If the dealer balks because your computer says "6/13", simply show him the page in your Service/Warranty manual where it calls for an oil change at least once per year. For some reason, the time based computer setting is two years, but BMW covers them yearly in the US.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Don't forget that since you are still under warranty, you will have a free oil change coming this June. If the dealer balks because your computer says "6/13", simply show him the page in your Service/Warranty manual where it calls for an oil change at least once per year. For some reason, the time based computer setting is two years, but BMW covers them yearly in the US.

Tom
Thanks again. I'll keep that mind and show them the page if they give me any issues.
Appreciate 0