E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Close call, becareful out there in Markham. Video inside:

09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
Phas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
The OP was not 10 feet from the intersection, he was about 45 ft away. He was doing 33km/hr (30 ft/sec) at the instant the light went yellow and the MB was over the crosswalk on the other side at that time. It took him over a second to get to the crosswalk on his side. He could have slowed down and stopped unless he has no brakes, but instead he chose to accelerate. (when he got to the crosswalk on his side, over 1 second had elapsed since the light changed to amber so he may have been 60 feet away at that time) If I was him, I would not post a video like this and complain about the other drivers.

+1
      09-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
The OP was not 10 feet from the intersection, he was about 45 ft away. He was doing 33km/hr (30 ft/sec) at the instant the light went yellow and the MB was over the crosswalk on the other side at that time. It took him over a second to get to the crosswalk on his side. He could have slowed down and stopped unless he has no brakes, but instead he chose to accelerate. (when he got to the crosswalk on his side, over 1 second had elapsed since the light changed to amber so he may have been 60 feet away at that time) If I was him, I would not post a video like this and complain about the other drivers.

For such a deep analysis, it seems both incomplete, and overly critical. For example:
- The OP was not credited for making a proper left hand turn. I can't hear the indicator ticking, but it is nice (and all-to-rare) to see someone come to a complete stop, and turn left into the immediate lane instead of swinging wide into the far lane.
- The OP was clearly accelerating to (and through) the intersection. This may have been a poor - but not illegal - decision. BTW, just how accurate & real-time do we assume the dashcam data is?
- It would have made it difficult to switch to braking in the time frames you are quoting. Perhaps not impossible, but an aggressive maneuver to switch from hard on the gas to hard on the brakes. Do you really hold all drivers to observing, deciding and begin executing a big change in one second?
- How do we know it would have been the safest option to break suddenly?
- There is no information about what the traffic was like behind the OP. How do we know he wasn't accelerating to safely merge with traffic coming up behind him. It wouldn't be a surprise if that traffic was speeding.
- Perhaps most important is the balance of fault that the traffic blocking the intersection should have. The second vehicle making a left has no where to go if the first one stops - they made an unsafe turn, and cut off traffic that has the right of way. They should have the vast majority of fault - if not 100% of it. You are not to enter the intersection to make a left unless you are sure you can complete the turn. They were wrong.
- What about the lack of horn signaling? The OP definitely should have warned everyone about the situation with his horn.
- And other factors not captured by the almighty video evidence.

Now take that dashcam, and drive through roundabouts - that's where the really interesting footage is waiting for analysis
      09-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Last time I checked, Midland and Finch is still in Toronto...
      10-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
darkseid2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 E71, '11 E92

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Off topic, but where's the C63 AMG? I see a Toyota RAV4 that the OP might be referring to that he just missed?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Far from a close call. Unless you have the reflexes of a dead animal. Either party could have braked easily
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
liang
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseid2k View Post
Off topic, but where's the C63 AMG? I see a Toyota RAV4 that the OP might be referring to that he just missed?
OP stating that he would get a C63 AMG if his car was totaled.
Appreciate 0