E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 Boost Follow Up

04-27-2024, 08:20 AM   #1
charlese9x
Rep
Drives: E46 320CI, E92 335I

N54 Boost Follow Up

Hi everyone. This is a follow up for my last post regarding my 30FF issue. The 30FF was the result of the new non OEM boost solenoids so would recommend people avoid those. Buy right or buy twice... Now back with my original solenoids I'm faced again with the 30FE over boost at higher loads. Not sure if this is due to the solenoids or map related. Wastegates move free under vacuum. Could someone check this log as I'm new to this platform so still learning what a healthy log looks like. Do people think this over boost is a solenoid issue and I sure buy some OEM replacements or something else? Boost seems to be at 6.2 where the target is around 6 so doesn't seem to be over boosting by much at all. Also seen the throttle position looks strange if anyone can confirm this, maybe a bad sensor?. Thanks for the help

https://datazap.me/u/charlese9x/30fe?log=0&data=3-20

Last edited by charlese9x; 04-27-2024 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Common mistake on the boost and boost target interpretation. The real boost made is a parameter called boost mean, which is measured by the tmap on charge pipe.
The boost indicated on the log is the result after the poor throttle tries its best to close and curb the boost mean down to its target. So sure it better be close to target.
Hence in this case the throttle had to close down quite a bit to 21% and looks strange as remarked to meet the target. The actual boost mean is much higher, could be 8psi or more in this case (saying this because the throttle had to retreat so much) So is that overboosting enough?
The throttle is the gate keeper.
      04-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #3
charlese9x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Common mistake on the boost and boost target interpretation. The real boost made is a parameter called boost mean, which is measured by the tmap on charge pipe.
The boost indicated on the log is the result after the poor throttle tries its best to close and curb the boost mean down to its target. So sure it better be close to target.
Hence in this case the throttle had to close down quite a bit to 21% and looks strange as remarked to meet the target. The actual boost mean is much higher, could be 8psi or more in this case (saying this because the throttle had to retreat so much) So is that overboosting enough?
The throttle is the gate keeper.
So ive just got another log with mean boost enabled and im overboosting alot more than I thought. I have seen a few overboost issues caused by solenoids and I am yet to get some new OEM working replacements. Do you think that could be the cause in this case?

https://datazap.me/u/charlese9x/30fe...data=3-4-15-18
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:35 AM   #4
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

You see the overboost. Could be solenoids
      04-27-2024, 01:58 PM   #5
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlese9x View Post
Hi everyone. This is a follow up for my last post regarding my 30FF issue. The 30FF was the result of the new non OEM boost solenoids so would recommend people avoid those. Buy right or buy twice... Now back with my original solenoids I'm faced again with the 30FE over boost at higher loads. Not sure if this is due to the solenoids or map related. Wastegates move free under vacuum. Could someone check this log as I'm new to this platform so still learning what a healthy log looks like. Do people think this over boost is a solenoid issue and I sure buy some OEM replacements or something else? Boost seems to be at 6.2 where the target is around 6 so doesn't seem to be over boosting by much at all. Also seen the throttle position looks strange if anyone can confirm this, maybe a bad sensor?. Thanks for the help

https://datazap.me/u/charlese9x/30fe?log=0&data=3-20
The new Pierburg solenoids were problematic (thought you said that's what you purchased)? By OEM you mean solenoids from the dealership? My understanding is the dealership solenoids are Pierburg.

Last edited by Cloverdale; 04-27-2024 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
charlese9x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
The new Pierburg solenoids were problematic (thought you said that's what you purchased)? By OEM you mean solenoids from the dealership? My understanding is the dealership solenoids are Pierburg.
No I bought new solenoids that were supposedly direct replacements under the same part number but were not Pierburg. Learned my lesson doing this. Going to send them back and order 2 new Pierburg solenoids. You were right though the new solenoids did introduce a low boost issue so they were the weak link.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 03:31 PM   #7
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlese9x View Post
No I bought new solenoids that were supposedly direct replacements under the same part number but were not Pierburg. Learned my lesson doing this. Going to send them back and order 2 new Pierburg solenoids. You were right though the new solenoids did introduce a low boost issue so they were the weak link.
Where were the bad one's from?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:33 AM   #8
charlese9x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
Where were the bad one's from?
I’m based In Europe so we have AUTODOC which is a big online part seller. I bought some supposed oem-like replacements with the same part code as the originals and they just introduced a boost leak.
Appreciate 0