E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Blowing noise from behind the glovebox - normal?

11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Blowing noise from behind the glovebox - normal?

Hi all,

Noticed a wierd wind/blowing like noise when you are driving the car steadily (with the revs at approx 2,000rpm) and you let the revs drop. Its also heard when accelerating past 2,000rpm.

It seems to be coming from behind the passenger side dashboard area (probably more apparent directly behind the glovebox).

Its a 2010 320D Coupe. I've heard something about some unit that lives behind there and its common for the flaps to stick but I now can't find any details about it (I read it a long time ago).

Anyone have a similar noise and know if its normal or is something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
Hi all,

Noticed a wierd wind/blowing like noise when you are driving the car steadily (with the revs at approx 2,000rpm) and you let the revs drop. Its also heard when accelerating past 2,000rpm.

It seems to be coming from behind the passenger side dashboard area (probably more apparent directly behind the glovebox).

Its a 2010 320D Coupe. I've heard something about some unit that lives behind there and its common for the flaps to stick but I now can't find any details about it (I read it a long time ago).

Anyone have a similar noise and know if its normal or is something wrong?
Have you tried turning the air con off? I get a slight whine from the AC pump. Basically the blower motor for the vents are underneath/behind the glovebox, and with weather and moisture the bearing may rust causing a bit of a whine.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542618
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
Have you tried turning the air con off? I get a slight whine from the AC pump. Basically the blower motor for the vents are underneath/behind the glovebox, and with weather and moisture the bearing may rust causing a bit of a whine.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542618
I've switched my aircon off and i've also switched the blowers off. It still continues. Really annoying noise as it sounds as if there is a hole through the bulkhead and its leaking the noise of the engine. Obviously thats not the case and the car is pretty new and only just hit 16k.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
I've switched my aircon off and i've also switched the blowers off. It still continues. Really annoying noise as it sounds as if there is a hole through the bulkhead and its leaking the noise of the engine. Obviously thats not the case and the car is pretty new and only just hit 16k.
Odd, there is also an e-fan for the ECU box, but this may depend on model. However it sounds like this may be something else.

Since it's so new it may be worth dealering it.
Appreciate 0