E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > What is this?! (ICE Questions!)

01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

What is this?! (ICE Questions!)

Was installing my new speakers today and was about to start feeding the technics harness into the boot (thats another question, ill get to that..)

But whilst looking in the boot i found this..

What is it?! I have the standard 6 speaker system.

I also found that the space next to whatever that thing is, was ideal for my tiny JL amp!

When the mats down you wont see it, but is this safe? IE will it over heat?

Also (and finally!) My rear seats dont seem to have the ability to move, which has given me a bit of a ballache with trying to feed the harness from the headunit into the boot? Any ideas what i can do? Or how to move the seats?

Sorry for all the questions!

All help appreciated
      01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I think it's something to do with Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

there is the green (fibre optics?) cable going into it (amonst many others) so that would make sense?
      01-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have a coupe with logic 7 and been having some probs with it. So have had the car in bits recently. My module is in the same place but has stickers on it. It also had the optical cable going to to amongst others
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just seemed to be a rather large device for just bluetooth, consdering most headunits have it built in now, was just abit worried as id purcashed all my ICE on the basis i had a basic 6 speaker system with no amplication other then that of the head unit!
      01-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I have that box too and been wondering what it is. What a coincidence, i spotted that today also. I dont have Logic 7 but have bluetooth with phone prep. Do you have phone prep in your armrest? I wonder if its related to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What is phone prep? I have what looks like a phone holder, and a 3mm audio jack for aux, i do have the phone button on steering wheel and head unit also, so quiet possibley the same as you?
      01-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Yes it's the Bluetooth module.

If you car hasn't got split folding seats they won't move!
      01-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Yes it's the Bluetooth module.

If you car hasn't got split folding seats they won't move!

Thanks Will

Yeah ive just had a little search, looks like i have to remove the bottom bench and then go from there if i do want to move them. Shouldnt be too bad, hopefully!

Quote:

Originally Posted by actionj_99

Guys,

Need to get access to the MOST distribution block. Anyone here do the CD changer install or the Satellite Radio Install? How do I remove the Rear Seat Back? My car DOES NOT have fold down seats.

Thanks in Advance,
Sam

Three steps:

First: Take out the rear seat lower part (just pull hard at the front seam(upwards) and it pops loose and can be taken out)

second: unscrew the bolts at the lower end of the rear seat back that hold the seat. They are Torx heads of either 40 or 50 size (T40 or T50)

Third: climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. Itīs a so called emergency release latch (donīt ask me why itīs called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after youīve found it itīs really hard to figure out what to move where, but once youīve done it, itīs easy.

Anyone know if ill need to do anything to the amp or will it be ok in my new found position?
      01-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

that little space is where my Alpine amp is.. it's actually supposed to have an amp there, so yours will be safe

Last edited by BGM; 01-07-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
that little space is there my Alpine amp is.. it's actually supposed to have an amp there, so yours will be safe
BGM that is exactly the kind of reassurance i was after, thank you!

Cheers for everyones help!
      01-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Hey Danny

To remove the rear seats do the following

1) Remove the rear bench seat by simply pulling it up at each end. It is held in place by strong plastic clips. Just get one hand on the front edge and one at the side and give it a yank. Don't be scared, it's the only way.

2) Remove the two Torx bolts holding the rear seat backs in place. These are at the bottom, middle of the seat back in between the seat belt slots.

3) Release the two spring loaded clips from, inside the boot, underneath the rear parcel shelf. They are a bit of a pain in the ass, get a large flat bladed screw driver and push them towards the side of the car.

This video shows the way. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...UCMrmaq_duQyA.

Once fully engaged they will stay open, only closing again when you replace the seat back by giving it a good hard push back into place. They open against a spring into a little catch, when you push the seat back in hard they snap shut again.

If you are only running the harness through you should be able to do this just by doing all of the above and leaning the rear seat back forward a couple of inches. Be careful as the seat back once released rests on two metal hooks at the bottom two front corners, inside the car. If they pop out and youre not ready to catch the seat back it will fall and likely scratch up your rear door sills so be careful.

Good luck with the install, sorry for not replying to the PM, I've not really been on the forum for a couple of months!
      01-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hey Matt long time no speak! I take it youve been having some late nights and alot of wake up calls during the night of late Hope all is well mate!

Thanks for the advice, ive put all the speakers in the car now, ive gone for the Focals up front with the correct BMW tweeter holders to retain an OEM appearance. And the vibes in the back the same as yours

My next job (will be 2 weeks before i can get on the car again!) will be to feed the harness through into the boot, wire the amp up to power all the speakers and connect my sub up from my new amp. Should sound good when its done!