E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Extended Warranty

10-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

Thanks Pete, that's really clear and reassuring. Will definitely not miss a service!

Now back on topic:
PerthBMW, my extended warranty out to 3 years cost me roughly $3800. They discounted it a little. Bear in mind that this is not a BMW official warranty but is backed by Allianz. Obviously they'll base the warranty price on the value of the car but I seriously doubt your '10 E90 325i would cost that much more than my '08 E92 325i. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #24
Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmshez View Post
Thanks Pete, that's really clear and reassuring. Will definitely not miss a service!

Now back on topic:
PerthBMW, my extended warranty out to 3 years cost me roughly $3800. They discounted it a little. Bear in mind that this is not a BMW official warranty but is backed by Allianz. Obviously they'll base the warranty price on the value of the car but I seriously doubt your '10 E90 325i would cost that much more than my '08 E92 325i. Hope that helps.
I have a similar/same warranty that is backed by Allianz. its called Auto Assure Advantage. I got mine on a 'special' deal. 4 years for the price of 3, and haggled it down to $3500 (for 4 years).

My friend just went through a similar scenario to the OP with Autoclassic of Perth. They were asking ridiculous prices for extended warranty. Both the dealership and Auto Assure warranties are backed by Allianz. After making numerous phone calls to different warranty companies he went with the third party Allianz warranty. When the dealer found out they then claimed that they could have offered him that warranty for the same price... they never mentioned this earlier.

Be aware though, the only real difference between the dealership's extended warranty and this third party Allianz warranty is that 'lighting' is not included. so if something where to happen to your lights (xenon/hid) it is apparently not included. is this worth the extra $$$? its up to you.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
stephano5
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black E93 325i

I had 12 months allianz extended warranty. it was okay. they did not cover a lot of annoying things that broke like trim. I only got it for a year because it was thrown in for free. they offered more but I said no chance. what made it exceptionally shady was when I asked the dealer to tell me what isnt covered, he gave me the book and said "why dont you go through it" - shady bastards
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

I had the two year Allianz extended warranty. The cost was $3391.34
I made three claims during the two years. CAS unit replaced. Parts cost $835.56 They didn't put labour cost in the invoice but I guess it would be 1 hour diagnosis and at least 2 hours install. The other claim was oil filter housing leak. Replaced two gaskets and also didn't mention the cost of investigating origin of oil leak and labour cost. The third claim was leaking vacuum pipes. Replaced all of them. Also diagnosis and install cost not mentioned! I think I either used all of that $3391.34 or was so close!
      10-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
I had the two year Allianz extended warranty. The cost was $3391.34
I made three claims during the two years. CAS unit replaced. Parts cost $835.56 They didn't put labour cost in the invoice but I guess it would be 1 hour diagnosis and at least 2 hours install. The other claim was oil filter housing leak. Replaced two gaskets and also didn't mention the cost of investigating origin of oil leak and labour cost. The third claim was leaking vacuum pipes. Replaced all of them. Also diagnosis and install cost not mentioned! I think I either used all of that $3391.34 or was so close!
Hi MO3

That is interesting (as are the other observations from the other guys, which I am grateful for). Out of interest, did you take the extended warranty insurance out close to the expiry of the new car warranty or buy it when you got the car? I am interested because the price you paid is significantly less than the Stealer in Perth is quoting.

I am trying to work out a strategy to get a good price should I decide to go ahead with it.

Appreciate any guidance you could give.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Just wonder, if I have got my car with extended warranty, can I go to have a mechanical check and put a claim for what is about to break instead of the actual problem occurs?

Planning to get the car inspected again once I received it from dealer, and would like to see if I can lodge a claim to replace the valve cover gasket as the inital pre purchase report revealed that there is some oil dampness around the engine, and suspected to be the valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
claim for what is about to break instead
please tell me your joking
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #30
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
please tell me your joking
Sorry for asking that noob question, but thought that if there is some sort of oil leak, then can lodge a claim and to replace the possible gasket....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Sorry for asking that noob question, but thought that if there is some sort of oil leak, then can lodge a claim and to replace the possible gasket....
Gaskets are not covered and oil leaks are a grey area, unless it broken don't ring them.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

A pre purchase inspection is good to do but there is no guarantee that the car will not fail the next day. you could have 5 different mechanics look at the car and get 5 different reports.
Make sure you have a BMW shop look at it, someone that knows the car.
Just because it is a BMW never assume its a reliable bullet proof thing, and don't think for one minute that the extended warranty is your life line that will save your bank account
If you are worried about fixing the car due to cost you should look for a Jap car they are far more reliable and cost effective, Yeh I know you don't get the roundel

What BMW stands for, < Bring Money Withyou > the older the BMW the more you will need to bring

Find a good independent BMW mechanic and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #33
skidz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
can you recommend a GOOD one Pete
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
can you recommend a GOOD one Pete
Try that cranky old bugger in Auburn if you get him on a good day he's OK. By the way how's the ABS you slack junior old bugger.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
A pre purchase inspection is good to do but there is no guarantee that the car will not fail the next day. you could have 5 different mechanics look at the car and get 5 different reports.
Make sure you have a BMW shop look at it, someone that knows the car.
Just because it is a BMW never assume its a reliable bullet proof thing, and don't think for one minute that the extended warranty is your life line that will save your bank account
If you are worried about fixing the car due to cost you should look for a Jap car they are far more reliable and cost effective, Yeh I know you don't get the roundel

What BMW stands for, < Bring Money Withyou > the older the BMW the more you will need to bring

Argh.....i was tempted to choose the State Roads service as i thought they cover more points of check, 250 point report, stupid, i should have chosen the one with BMW, but the dealer is not really willing to bring the car to BMW workshop i suspect.
anyway, ok...i think i may not choose to have the warranty, i prefer to maintain the car well, and in case unfortunately there is something happened, such as the oil leak on the report, i will just use my own money, (Jin told me that should cost around $600).
I actually moved from Jap car to BMW, reason is not the roundel, but i do like the shape of the E92, tbh, i am fine without the badge as what i like is the shape, perfect coupe shape (to me at least). and it is even better than the new 4 series, i like the interior more in the 4 series though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #36
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Try that cranky old bugger in Auburn if you get him on a good day he's OK. By the way how's the ABS you slack junior old bugger.
Hi peter, do you know any good mechanic in Perth WA please?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #37
skidz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
cranky???? who is tha...... ohh I know who ya talkn bout

Yep ABS is working in line with specifications again

I had a drive of the RS5 yesterday, much better than I was expecting.

Just waiting on the numbers to come back.....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
cranky???? who is tha...... ohh I know who ya talkn bout

Yep ABS is working in line with specifications again

I had a drive of the RS5 yesterday, much better than I was expecting.

Just waiting on the numbers to come back.....
Getting an RS5 is settling for 3rd place in a three horse race.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #39
skidz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Getting an RS5 is settling for 3rd place in a three horse race.
haha im a doubtfull starter, but the m3 is sooooo close to the 335 i cant see the bebefit (apart fro a SC v8) the merc, well...... not old enough so that leaves the aldi

to be fair for the amount of weight they carry they point pretty well and offer a pretty good package and the sports seats are the best out of the 3 by a large margin.

still i suspect ill keep the old girls for the time being.

mind you a quick check on fastestlaps says they are all pretty close, but the RS5 seems to have the edge

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/m...-audi_rs5.html
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/b...-audi_rs5.html

Last edited by skidz; 10-10-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #40
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Quote:
I actually moved from Jap car to BMW, reason is not the roundel, but i do like the shape of the E92, tbh, i am fine without the badge as what i like is the shape, perfect coupe shape (to me at least). and it is even better than the new 4 series, i like the interior more in the 4 series though.
Driven a couple of F30's as loaners and I think the E9X series' interior is better quality. Design is nice in the F30 and higher resolution displays are better, but interior plastics etc are cheaper methinks.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #41
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Driven a couple of F30's as loaners and I think the E9X series' interior is better quality. Design is nice in the F30 and higher resolution displays are better, but interior plastics etc are cheaper methinks.
Is it? I thought the layout of the interior is better. But haven't had a real touch of that.
There is a proper cup holders and more storage..but appearance wise is the E92, best shape at all times.
Mercedes is best with 4 doors, BMW is best at 2. Audi is too bulky.
Appreciate 0