E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > hiccups at start up

08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 550xi

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
hiccups at start up

For the last few months I have been getting slight hiccups at startup but go away as soon as I shift into drive and drive off. The hiccups are not consistent but happen often enough within a minute wait to warm up to take notice. It has started to worsen recently both in the number of the hiccups and the shuttering feel.

Last month my warranty expired so I was hoping to diagnose this without visiting the dealer. I had my HPFP replaced two years ago with software updated, had my injectors changed out about a year ago under recall and everything else seems up to date. I have a DCI and run Cobb v301 with a ER charge pipe and BOV. Spark plugs were changed out 3000 miles ago along with the oil. I also noticed that instead of warming up in initial warm up at around 2k rpms then reducing as the car warms up, its jumping up to 1k rpms then drops and you can see the rpms bouncing up and down with the hiccups almost as if it wants to stall out. Could this be the water pump? I have yet to clean out my injectors... I have about 45k miles now. I checked for codes and I'm gettting P2AAF fuel pump plausibility

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belal242 View Post
For the last few months I have been getting slight hiccups at startup but go away as soon as I shift into drive and drive off. The hiccups are not consistent but happen often enough within a minute wait to warm up to take notice. It has started to worsen recently both in the number of the hiccups and the shuttering feel.

Last month my warranty expired so I was hoping to diagnose this without visiting the dealer. I had my HPFP replaced two years ago with software updated, had my injectors changed out about a year ago under recall and everything else seems up to date. I have a DCI and run Cobb v301 with a ER charge pipe and BOV. Spark plugs were changed out 3000 miles ago along with the oil. I also noticed that instead of warming up in initial warm up at around 2k rpms then reducing as the car warms up, its jumping up to 1k rpms then drops and you can see the rpms bouncing up and down with the hiccups almost as if it wants to stall out. Could this be the water pump? I have yet to clean out my injectors... I have about 45k miles now. I checked for codes and I'm gettting P2AAF fuel pump plausibility

Thanks in advance.
Is there kind of a long crank? It sounds like a fuel issue possibly.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
Is there kind of a long crank? It sounds like a fuel issue possibly.
No long cranks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No long cranks.
Try looking at these:

low pressure fuel sensor
manifold suction pressure sensor
could be a bad coil
even though your injectors were replaced could be an injector going bad
could be vanos related

Last edited by Pat@sonictuning; 08-09-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Luther@Fleming Automotive
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 BSM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

How many miles do you you have on the car. Have you had the intake valves cleaned?

Luther
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

My car hiccups when sitting idle...you reel feel it cuz it shakes the car a little. But dealership won't do anything without a code being thrown. Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumdesi01 View Post
My car hiccups when sitting idle...you reel feel it cuz it shakes the car a little. But dealership won't do anything without a code being thrown. Good luck man
I would suggest maybe trying to clean these two sensors:

low pressure fuel sensor
also could be vanos related.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
DudeManBro
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

I'm having a similar issue. Randomly, when I'm trying to start the car, it has a long crank but also has sort of a hiccup/choking sound. Once started, at idle it doesn't seem as smooth as it used to be. It never throws any codes though. After I start driving the car runs perfectly fine and idle's smooth. Even though this happens randomly, it seems more prone to happen after the car has been sitting in hot weather all day (i.e. when leaving work at 5pm).. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm at 46k right now. The HPFP has been replaced 25k miles ago. Three injectors replaced 10k miles ago. I have DCI and Dinan stage II (switching to JB4 next week).

This weekend the dealership is changing the oil and spark plugs. I asked them if they can check out the issue I'm having, but it's a 50/50 chance the issue could actually be replicated and even if it is they probably won't do anything without a code.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
Try looking at these:

low pressure fuel sensor
could be a bad coil
even though your injectors were replaced could be an injector going bad
could be vanos related
I was thinking my low pressure fuel sensor as well, never heard of the manifold suction pressure sensor exuse my ignorance on the topic.

I had my Vanos replaced about 4k miles ago. Where are those sensors located? is this a simple wipe off and clean?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming77 View Post
How many miles do you you have on the car. Have you had the intake valves cleaned?

Luther
I'm going to come by and have you clean out my intake valves in a few weeks. I wanted to get this done for a while now. Do you think you could help me with those sensors too?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Luther@Fleming Automotive
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 BSM

Quote:
I'm going to come by and have you clean out my intake valves in a few weeks. I wanted to get this done for a while now. Do you think you could help me with those sensors too?

Absolutely! Give me a call when you can so we can set up a time for you to come in.

Thanks

Luther
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking my low pressure fuel sensor as well, never heard of the manifold suction pressure sensor exuse my ignorance on the topic.

I had my Vanos replaced about 4k miles ago. Where are those sensors located? is this a simple wipe off and clean?
Yes you should be able to use something the MAF sensor cleaner to clean them. The manifold suction pressure senor is on top of the inlet maniford. Hopefully the valve cleaning will take care of your issue. Damn direct injection!!
Appreciate 0