E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Review: TWM Performance "Spooky" Weighted Shift Knob

04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Toda Party
Private
Rep
Drives: E90, EM1, CBR

Review: TWM Performance "Spooky" Weighted Shift Knob

Car:
E90

Background:
I hate the stock shiftknob. Zero confidence doing a quick 1-2 shift.
I considered the ZHP knob but it "only" weighs 153grams (5.4oz) so I decided to splurge a bit on the TWM knob (275grams)... the fact that it's adaptable to other cars made it slightly easier to digest spending nearly $100 more vs the ZHP knob.

I decided to go w/ the Delrin coated knob cuz I live in Vegas and I don't want to sear a R-1-2-3-4-5-6 pattern into my palm every day. They have black and white delrin - I chose white cuz a) the black looked sorta weird/bad in pics, and b) my car is white so it sorta matched.

Install:
Very simple. Put it 2nd, pull the stock knob up (don't hit yourself in the face). For those that are super anal, you can take off the center console to make the boot show no gap - I personally don't really care.
Slide on the adapter collar, use an allen to tighten the 3 small screws around the collar (you can pick how high you want it to sit). I decided to just let it sit as low as possible to have a pseudo-short shifter.
Screw on the shift knob.
Done.

Review:
1-2 feels WAY better. I love it. I wish I had a ZHP knob to compare it to but either way both are better than stock I would imagine.

Pics:

You can see how the collar and boot have a small gap (again, I don't care - you might. I was too lazy to pull the console, flip the boot, and zip tie it to eliminate the gap).

Also you can see that if the collar sits as far down as it will go, the knob won't screw down flush since the shifter stalk bottoms out. Whatever. Again, you might care, I don't. You can adjust the height of the collar to make it sit flush.

Hope this helps for whoever was considering this or the all metal shift knob.
      04-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Cant say id ever purchase this knob for my ride but I do agree the stock knobs ruins the driving experience in this car. Switched to the ZHP knob and fell in love with this car all over again. I would recommend that to anyone and you cant go wrong for the $60 bucks it costs.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 335i

Wish I could transfer my old WC Lathewerks knob from my STi to the 335i.

That fucker was heavy and with my Holy Shift kit, gear changes were so positive it wasn't even funny.

I do feel the pain of the Stock Knob... looks nice, but feels like shit.

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Toda Party
Private
Rep
Drives: E90, EM1, CBR

haha "holy shift" ? that's a great name
      05-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
lowerstandards
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does any one know what the thread pitch to the adapter is? I tried contacting them about it but they won't give out that information
Appreciate 0