E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Car wash at a dealership (rant)

03-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Car wash at a dealership (rant)

I went to the dealership yesterday to have them check out a potential mechanical problem on my brand new 335i sedan and got a complementary car wash. When I got the car back and looked at it under direct light it was all covered with swirles and clear coat little scratches. I'm totally pissed off!!! This has ruined my day. I'm wondering if waxing will remove the swirles our do I need some more substantial paint work. Thanks. The color is sparkling graphite.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
my dealership did that to me as well and i went in screaming at them. i really yelled at the service manager and also the general manager. They ended up buffing my entire car and it was back to original again. I was sooooooooooooooooooooo pissed.

Tell the dealership to fix the car or you will sue them for mishandling your car!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
either have them fix it, or have them cover the cost of having it professionally detailed.

and never, EVER let the dealer wash your car. NEVER!
      03-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

From the FAQ David wrote:

How to: Properly Polish your Car using your PC 7424 / 7336

Make sure you have thoroughly washed and dried your car prior to polishing.

If you have swirl marks that require removal, I would recommend that you use Menzerna Intensive Polish with a foam-cutting pad.

Apply three lines of polish around the edge of the pad. Take the polisher and smear the product into the section you are going to work while the polisher is off. This will totally eliminate splatter. Do 2x2 sections at a time. Turn the machine on, and begin working the product @ speed 6. Go in up and down and then back and forth overlapping motions. When the polish begins to dust, turn the machine off and wipe away the remaining residue using a quality cotton or MF towel. Do each 2x2 section as many times as you have to until the swirls are gone. I use a 1000-watt halogen light on a tripod to help me see my progress.

Menzerna IP used with a cutting pad may leave a brushed haze in your paint. This is not bad. The product is supposed to work this way. It will remove the bigger swirls with diminishing abrasives that will level some clear off your car. The abrasives won’t break down enough to leave a totally uniform finish. To remove the haze you will need to step up to a finer polish.

I recommend Klasse All In One (AIO) or Zaino ZPC fusion for this. The one you choose will depend on whether you are using Klasse SG or Z2 Pro as your final sealant. AIO and ZPC when used with polishing pads, IMHO, are the very best pre-wax or pre-sealant mild polishes on the market. They are truly outstanding! Apply both using a foam-polishing pad. Apply them in the same manner that Menzerna IP was applied, except use speed 4-4.5 on your PC. Speed 6 is too fast for these types of polishes. If you have a black car, you may need to do each section twice to sufficiently remove the haze.

Once complete, apply a quality wax or sealant of your choice to protect the finish. I would recommend Klasse Sealant Glaze or Zaino Z2 Pro.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your prompt responses. I've already talked to a service manager at the dealership and he promised to polish the car to remove the scratches. Will that be a proper remedial action?

Not sure though that their resident-detailer cvan bring the car to the original condition ... No more car washes at the dealership!!! NEVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Thanks for your prompt responses. I've already talked to a service manager at the dealership and he promised to polish the car to remove the scratches. Will that be a proper remedial action?

Not sure though that their resident-detailer cvan bring the car to the original condition ... No more car washes at the dealership!!! NEVER!
It depends on how good they are with a rotary. Make sure you check the car under sunlight again before you take it home. An inexperienced guy with a rotary might do more harm than good. Look for holograms on the paint afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr View Post
It depends on how good they are with a rotary. Make sure you check the car under sunlight again before you take it home. An inexperienced guy with a rotary might do more harm than good. Look for holograms on the paint afterwards.
+5000. Be very cautious with dealership detailing. Tell them after they polish not to use a glaze or wax (wax it yourself) as this can hide swirls and holograms.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Thanks picus. i'll follow your advice. can you explain a little more how those holograms may look like?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the holograms are kind of an illusion made by swirl marks and/or hazing of the paint. The paint seems to have a 3-D look to it caused by the hazy buffer marks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Can you guys post a picture of swirls vs. a good detail job? Picking up my car soon, I should look for swirls...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
Can you guys post a picture of swirls vs. a good detail job? Picking up my car soon, I should look for swirls...
If you think the car looks good, no sense in driving yourself crazy looking for problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
NEVER make the dealer wash your car, they use the same glove to wash ur car and ur rims, and some of them spray that acid wheels cleaner on ur rims, and that shit eats away at polished, machined and chrome lips....

do it urself, its the best way
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

I took my car back last saturday because of all the swirl marks they put on it when they prepped for delivery. the dealership took it to a detail shop and did a smokin job and now im swirl free!!!
Im quite happy in how they handled the whole situation!.....The BMW Store...not as big as Brian Jessel....but great people!!
cheers,
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Those mitts and grit ridd'n chams have been used too long, laying on the floor, no telling where they have been. I don't know if I would let them touch it again. Those guys in make ready could get pissed, all they have to do is go down the street to another dealer if they get fired for f'n your car up more. I never let them wash my stuff. Not even my truck.
      03-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Picus, will this type of detailing help to restore the car to its originnal condition:

"This treatment was designed for the enthusiast with budget in mind. Recommended also as a bi-annual, sometimes tri-annual treatment. Although this process takes less time and has less offerings than the Enthusiast Detail, no less care is taken to ensure your car receives the MirrorWorks finish.

This is a good introduction to the MirrorWorks Detail group. A combination of Klasse and P21S is used to provide a deep and durable finish that will last 4-6 months depending on storage, weather and mileage conditions.

Hand wash over the entire vehicle, wheels, arches, and door jams.
Full paint decontamination with Clay Bar treatment (removes embedded road grime, tar, paint splatter).
Vehicle is hand dried using microfiber towels and synthetic absorber towels.
1 stage machine polish with Klasse Acrylic Polish/Sealant to remove unsightly swirl marks.
A coat of P21S wax to provide a deep glow and additional protection."

This is what being offered at a local reputable detailing shop for $150.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

So Klasse All In One (AIO) can remove very light swirl marks? I'm not
doubting, just asking so that I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #17
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The old formulation of AIO can remove light swirls. The new one (sold for the past 18 months or so) is very, very light, and will not remove more than super light marring. I'd have to see a picture of the swirls in the sun to say for sure, but I doubt just AIO is going to remove visible swirls. A one step polish *may* be good enough, just not with AIO. That said, the place you copied that from seems to use relatively "new" products, so odds are good they will know what to use to deal with the damage you've got.

I just looked up Mirrorworks and they have a number of recommendations at Autopia, which is a good sign. I checked their site and if I had to guess I would say you'll need their "Enthusiasts Detail" ($250). That's without seeing the car though, so I could be wrong. The Enthusiast detail adds a real polishing step (the menzerna ceramiclear polish them mention), which is probably what you'll need. It's be worth the $250 if they do a good job, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Thanks picus. The owner there initially offered me the $250 package, but after hearing that my car is only a month old he said that the $150 one may suffice. They haven't seen the car though. Overall, the guy said that they use the most advanced products in the area and that his business is specifically "enthusiasts oriented"
Appreciate 0