E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First wash/wax attempt and I'm concerned...

03-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
First wash/wax attempt and I'm concerned...

Well I did the first treatment for the spring and I'm rather concerned. This is my first BMW going through winter so I'm not used to their paint and how it reacts, anyways. After the wash everything felt fine other than the car felt really bare with no glossy feeling. I use Maguiars Professional line and was just going to use #7 followed by #26 just to get me to when it's warmer to do the whole shabang.

I applied #7 first to the hood and after removing I didn't get the "glossy" feeling that I'm used to afterwards. The paint felt very grainular and felt slightly gritty to the touch. Well I thought maybe applying #26 over it would help so I did a small spot just to see. It didn't help and I decided to stop before causing any damage.

I'm concerned because my car was rear-ended over the winter and sat in a shop for most of December and January. It almost feels like overspray from sitting inside and maybe near the paint department for close to 2 months.

I'm either going to clay the car in a week or 2 to see if that helps or break down and pay to have the car detailed. Keep in mind I have never clayed any of my cars before either. What do some of you professionals or semi-pro detailers think??

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

you went through the winter/ washed your car, and re waxed without claying?

and its a surprise your car feels this way?
      03-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

You used two products that do not have any cleaning properties. You should either clay or use a pre-cleaner. If you want to use Megs you can use their step one cleaner or clay followed by #7 then #26. I would personally clay first, its really not that difficult. I am including a pic of a car I did for a friend who would regularly wash and wax his car but felt gritty. I washed then clayed (this is after a 2x2 foot section):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

go ahead and clay away.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr View Post
You used two products that do not have any cleaning properties. You should either clay or use a pre-cleaner. If you want to use Megs you can use their step one cleaner or clay followed by #7 then #26. I would personally clay first, its really not that difficult. I am including a pic of a car I did for a friend who would regularly wash and wax his car but felt gritty. I washed then clayed (this is after a 2x2 foot section):

[rant]

a spoiled ex friend of mines parent gave her a g35 for her 16th birthday, she NEVER washed the thing, sometimes she would go to a car wash and have it washed, i told her all the time she needs to wash her car (and would write so on her paint/wheels)

she went over a a year without even waxing i think, finally i nagged her enough that she went and got her car "detailed" they washed it and waxed it without claying it, you could SEE rust particles developing in her paint

i had clay with me at the time and clayed her car, mine looked just like that after just a little bit of rubbing, i tried to clay her whole car but parts just couldnt be saved

i told her "your paint is wrecked i didnt my best but it will never look good" her response "i dont care if i want mommy will just buy me a new one"

[/rant]

thats an interesting shape you got there, normally i flatten mine out really thin about half the size of my palm rub for a bit, fold-fold-flatten and rub some more
      03-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

the shape is just because it was the very first pass, kind of testing the area so I did not bother to flatten it first. I was actually grabbing it with my finger tips.Usually I flatten it and put my fingers over it with minimal pressure then glide it ovr the surface.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well I have never clayed a car before, but I have always washed and waxed my cars and none have ever felt like this after winter. Usually a good wash and wax and the car felt, "atleast to the touch" just fine. But this time it didn't happen that way. I am really scared there may be a fine layer of overspray on the car.

I was just going to wash and put the coat of wax on until it was warm enough to actually attempt claying a car. I was waiting until temps were in the 70's pretty steady before going all out.

I guess I'll attempt claying before I see a detailer then.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

FWIW, those rust particles were probably rail dust, not actual rust particles. Same difference, though.

darkcloud; you definitely need to clay as mentioned. Even if you don't have overspray (which you almost certainly do), the car probably has quite a lot of bonded contamination. I would clay, lightly polish, THEN use #7 and #26.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
FWIW, those rust particles were probably rail dust, not actual rust particles. Same difference, though.
if your talking about my friends car, it was actuall rust, not stuff i saw in the clay, but stuff you could see on her paint if you looked close (and wouldnt come out)
      03-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Oh weird. 99% of the time when you see "rust specks" in a light colored car, it's actually rail dust.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

If it's paint over spray, then the regular clay may not be up to the task. You may need body shop clay (it is more aggressive and is specifically made for removing over spray).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well, I found a shop that sells Mag's Professional line near me today. I ordered #9(swirl remover) and a Blue Clay bar. The owner suggested avoiding polishing at all costs since the paint/car is so new and that the clay should get everything anyways. I decided I'm going to attempt this myself before shelling any money out to a detailer, sorry Picus, the weekend I spoke of for a trip fell through cuz I realized it was my Nephew's 1st b-day that weekend. Maybe May, I'll let you know. Anyways, like I said I've never clayed before and I've been reading the DIY's, but if anyone has any pointers I'm all ears.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Well, I found a shop that sells Mag's Professional line near me today. I ordered #9(swirl remover) and a Blue Clay bar. The owner suggested avoiding polishing at all costs since the paint/car is so new and that the clay should get everything anyways. I decided I'm going to attempt this myself before shelling any money out to a detailer, sorry Picus, the weekend I spoke of for a trip fell through cuz I realized it was my Nephew's 1st b-day that weekend. Maybe May, I'll let you know. Anyways, like I said I've never clayed before and I've been reading the DIY's, but if anyone has any pointers I'm all ears.
Body shop clay is more aggressive than consumer grade clay. It will mar your finish. You WILL have to follow-up with a polish. Don't listen to that goof you were talking to. Polishing is perfectly safe/fine.
Appreciate 0