E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Warranties... Help!

09-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Warranties... Help!

So long story short, I purchased a warranty when I bought my e92 3 weeks ago and the finance guy at Atlantic Audi blatantly lied to my face about the warranty in which I purchased. I called the warranty company and they told me the differences in the plans, and it conflicted with everything he told me. So I am in the process of canceling my warranty and I will need to purchase one else where.

What warranties have you guys purchased third party and have had success with? What was the cost and length of coverage, as well as deductible?

The warranty I am about to cancel is a Fidelity Gold Plus coverage which was for 4 years/ 48k miles. I paid $2,600

The car is a 2007 BMW 328xi coupe 38,000 miles

The Platnium coverage was what I was looking to purchase, being that it was the highest coverage offered and it covered nearly everything that a new cars bumper to bumper warranty would cover. BUT the warranty guy told me the only additional thing platinum coverage would offer on a BMW was everything the gold plus coverage already offered PLUS the navigation (which my car does not have). But what It REALLY COVERED WAS JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING EXCEPT Normal wear and tear parts, like light bulbs and brake pad and rotors.

Last edited by runwild; 09-13-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

I have the gold warranty - he's right that the platinum is only extra on the navigation (maybe the sound system as well). good thing about the BMW warranty is that you can buy it from any dealership and take your car to any dealership! I believe it was around $3k for the 7year/100k coverage - shop around even on ebay and call your nearby dealers that will likely service your car and negotiate based on the best price you got.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
I have the gold warranty - he's right that the platinum is only extra on the navigation (maybe the sound system as well). good thing about the BMW warranty is that you can buy it from any dealership and take your car to any dealership! I believe it was around $3k for the 7year/100k coverage - shop around even on ebay and call your nearby dealers that will likely service your car and negotiate based on the best price you got.
Appreciate the info! Im gonna do my research and look around. When I called fidelity directly, they told me platinum covers everything on the car, except for what is listed under the exceptions on the contract... Which is mostly wear and tear items. So idk if the navi or sound system is the only additional coverage. The platinum covered all headlight components.. Modules, ballasts, wiring harnesses, LEDs and housing. And gold plus didn't cover any headlight components. My experience with e90s and e92s is that the headlights are a bitch! So expensive, especially when modules malfunction like the adaptive headlight one, which was a problem on a few of my e9xs
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Out of curiosity how much was the car if you don't mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
Out of curiosity how much was the car if you don't mind me asking
Don't mind at all, was it your car you traded in!? Or your just curious? Lol it was $16,900
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
SLV335I
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

I would just save your money and put it into a account when you need repairs. I just canceled my extended warranty and I have a 335i. Just going to pay out of pocket when something happens using a Indy or DIY. This is just my opinion.
1994 Supra TT (Sold)
1994 RX7 TT (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV335I View Post
I would just save your money and put it into a account when you need repairs. I just canceled my extended warranty and I have a 335i. Just going to pay out of pocket when something happens using a Indy or DIY. This is just my opinion.
I'm considering that, but the problem is that I've had too many little expensive problems that I've had fixed on these cars in the past and i just don't want to take a chance. But I'm really debating if its worth the piece of mind if the warranty exceeds $3000. The coverage is just 4 years, and the car is very well kept and has low mileage.

Not a bad idea to save the money and keep it aside for a rainy day, but knowing me, that $3000 would turn into a new set of rims
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
SLV335I
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwild View Post
I'm considering that, but the problem is that I've had too many little expensive problems that I've had fixed on these cars in the past and i just don't want to take a chance. But I'm really debating if its worth the piece of mind if the warranty exceeds $3000. The coverage is just 4 years, and the car is very well kept and has low mileage.

Not a bad idea to save the money and keep it aside for a rainy day, but knowing me, that $3000 would turn into a new set of rims
I know it's so hard not to touch that money just sitting there doing nothing.lol if you decide not to get a warranty, I would ask the forum if anyone knows of a great independant bmw repair shop near you. You can save a lot over taking it to the dealer for everything. Good luck and enjoy.
1994 Supra TT (Sold)
1994 RX7 TT (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Don't mind at all, was it your car you traded in!? Or your just curious? Lol it was $16,900
Just curious on the market, since I got my car from a dealer a few months ago. Seems like a good price coming from a dealership.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
Just curious on the market, since I got my car from a dealer a few months ago. Seems like a good price coming from a dealership.

Thanks
No problem,
I search daily for deals on these cars and I've always noticed atlantic audi gets BMW trade ins all the time and they price BMWs low for quick sales. The BMWs they sell don't last more than a few days on the lot. They were very straight up with me about the car. When I put a deposit on the car, it was all pending on whether the car was mechanically sound or not. If they found anything wrong with the car mechanically, they would have given me my deposit back and auctioned off the car. But the price I paid was definitely better than any price I seen out there from a reputable dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
grubyusa
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: bsm e90

Garage List
e90 pre-lci  [10.00]
Dont go with GWC warranty. I have it and they are just terrible. paid $3000, 3 years or 36000 miles. deductible is $100, not bad. Had couple repairs done( water pump, thermostat, headlights, etc). Whatever you pick read everything before you sign. According to my dealer rep. everything supposed to be covered under my ultra(platinum) plan. Some of the major things they offer is: towing off up to 10 miles, you pay the rest. They cover lots of stuff but the only downside is they only cover 65% of labor cost and about 80% parts. If I had choice I would rather keep the money and do repairs myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubyusa View Post
Dont go with GWC warranty. I have it and they are just terrible. paid $3000, 3 years or 36000 miles. deductible is $100, not bad. Had couple repairs done( water pump, thermostat, headlights, etc). Whatever you pick read everything before you sign. According to my dealer rep. everything supposed to be covered under my ultra(platinum) plan. Some of the major things they offer is: towing off up to 10 miles, you pay the rest. They cover lots of stuff but the only downside is they only cover 65% of labor cost and about 80% parts. If I had choice I would rather keep the money and do repairs myself.
Good to know, I deff am doing my research. The labor rate is a big thing many people don't look into when purchasing a warranty, which is BIG! Especially with bmw dealers charging around $165+ an hour for labor
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
my_blue_335
That Guy
Italy
Rep
Drives: '14 535xi M Sport

Garage List
you can't purchase a gold/platinum warranty from BMW when the vehicle exceeds 50k or 4 yrs.
      09-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_blue_335 View Post
you can't purchase a gold/platinum warranty from BMW when the vehicle exceeds 50k or 4 yrs.
That's correct, I don't plan on purchasing it through BMW. I find it hard to believe that they don't offer the warranty on vehicles after the 4 years/50k miles. Always seemed a little odd why they wouldn't offer the warranty but any other warranty company would have no problem selling one for older or higher mileage BMWs. Doesn't make sense to me really
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

From a shop owner's perspective, many third party warranty companies have products designed to deceive the buyer. You have to be very careful of what you are actually getting for that huge amount of money and compare it to carrying the risk yourself. Over and over I find that people think they are getting covered by their warranty only to discover that the repair they need isn't. It's almost a game: we (the shop owner) submit the carefully documented claim, and the warranty company line-item denies coverage for 95% of the needed work. I know that some people swear by third party warranties, but for me, they're a sucker's bet.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
LadyBMW
Rep
n/a
Drives:

For those who live in the NYC area, Which 3rd party coverage did you find was better EasyCare or Fidelity? If you are willing to share the cost and reccommend a dealer to consider purchasing from it would be greatly appreciated ...Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I haven't used it yet but I was reading through Paragon Motor Club and thinking on this one

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBMW View Post
For those who live in the NYC area, Which 3rd party coverage did you find was better EasyCare or Fidelity? If you are willing to share the cost and reccommend a dealer to consider purchasing from it would be greatly appreciated ...Thanks
I hear fidelity is a great warranty, I don't know much about easy care. If you get a brochure from both easy care and fidelity, you can compare the differences in their coverages, and also price. I have a family member who works in finance at an audi dealership and he punched the numbers on what a warranty should cost me and he came with $2,800 for a platinum fidelity coverage at 4 years/48k miles. The dealership I bought my car from is selling that exact fidelity warranty for $3,700.

From my understanding, any dealership can sell you warranties even if you didn't buy the vehicle from them, and even if its not a BMW dealership. It's all about finding the right place that'll give you the right price.

The most important thing when buying the warranties is to make sure the warranty covers full labor rate for vehicle repairs. Sometimes you'll find a warranty that covers like $90/hr on labor and you need to come out of pocket for the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
I haven't used it yet but I was reading through Paragon Motor Club and thinking on this one
Just do your research and look into the labor cost covered with the plan. A lot of plans offer great coverage and don't tell you that they only cover about $90/hr of labor and you need to pay out of pocket for the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
LadyBMW
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I hear fidelity is a great warranty, I don't know much about easy care. If you get a brochure from both easy care and fidelity, you can compare the differences in their coverages, and also price. I have a family member who works in finance at an audi dealership and he punched the numbers on what a warranty should cost me and he came with $2,800 for a platinum fidelity coverage at 4 years/48k miles. The dealership I bought my car from is selling that exact fidelity warranty for $3,700.

From my understanding, any dealership can sell you warranties even if you didn't buy the vehicle from them, and even if its not a BMW dealership. It's all about finding the right place that'll give you the right price.

The most important thing when buying the warranties is to make sure the warranty covers full labor rate for vehicle repairs. Sometimes you'll find a warranty that covers like $90/hr on labor and you need to come out of pocket for the difference.
Thanks Runwild..still researching and debating. I'd really like to pull the trigger soon though.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBMW View Post
Thanks Runwild..still researching and debating. I'd really like to pull the trigger soon though.
No problem, im in the same boat. I'm just giving it a little time before I purchase one. Can't hurt to do your research though!
Appreciate 0