E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 iDrive hard drive question

06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
robrbn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

2009 iDrive hard drive question

I have a 2009 e90 equipped with iDrive. I keep all of my music stored on the hard drive of the car and keep everything arranged in folders for albums, artists, etc. My only gripe is that most of the time when I get in the car and my iDrive starts back up, the screen doesn't bring me back to the folder I was last in when I turned the car off. It will bring me back to the main screen of all the folder on the hard drive. Like I said, this is what happens most of the time. However, every once and a while it will bring me right back to where I was when the car was shut off. I can't why it doesn't just do this all the time. Time doesn't seem to be the culprit either because in the morning when I get out of my car for two minutes to run in and get coffee, when I start my car again the screen isn't where it left off.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get the iDrive to always go back to last folder I was in?

Last edited by robrbn; 06-24-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrbn View Post
I have a 2009 e90 equipped with iDrive. I keep all of my music stored on the hard drive of the car and keep everything arranged in folders for albums, artists, etc. My only gripe is that most of the time when I get in the car and my iDrive starts back up, the screen doesn't bring me back to the folder I was last in when I turned the car off. It will bring me back to the main screen of all the folder on the hard drive. Like I said, this is what happens most of the time. However, every once and a while it will bring me right back to where I was when the car was shut off. I can't why it doesn't just do this all the time. Time doesn't seem to be the culprit either because in the morning when I get out of my car for two minutes to run in and get coffee, when I start my car again the screen is where it left off.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get the iDrive to always go back to last folder I was in?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen the specific problem you are discussing here. However, one question I have is whether you have the latest version of the system software. I had some related problems addressed by software updates.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
I have a 2009 e90 equipped with iDrive. I keep all of my music stored on the hard drive of the car and keep everything arranged in folders for albums, artists, etc. My only gripe is that most of the time when I get in the car and my iDrive starts back up, the screen doesn't bring me back to the folder I was last in when I turned the car off. It will bring me back to the main screen of all the folder on the hard drive. Like I said, this is what happens most of the time. However, every once and a while it will bring me right back to where I was when the car was shut off. I can't why it doesn't just do this all the time. Time doesn't seem to be the culprit either because in the morning when I get out of my car for two minutes to run in and get coffee, when I start my car again the screen is where it left off.

If you shut down your car for more than a few minutes the CIC will shut down as well and then when you restart the car the CIC will have to reboot and will get you to the main menu.
If you just restart your car after a minute or two it will bring you back to where you left it.
So it's time based. Does this make sense?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
robrbn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I'm not sure if I've ever seen the specific problem you are discussing here. However, one question I have is whether you have the latest version of the system software. I had some related problems addressed by software updates.
Is there is way to tell if I have the latest version? My car will be heading in for HPFP recall soon so I could make sure they update it then if it isn't up to date already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
If you shut down your car for more than a few minutes the CIC will shut down as well and then when you restart the car the CIC will have to reboot and will get you to the main menu.
If you just restart your car after a minute or two it will bring you back to where you left it.
So it's time based. Does this make sense?
It isn't time based. I miss-typed my original post. Some times my car could be turned off over night and when I start it the next morning it will come back to right where it was. And other times I could get out of my car to grab coffee before work in the morning and get back to my car a minute later and it will bring me back to the main menu for my hard drive instead of the folder I was last in.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
It isn't time based. I miss-typed my original post. Some times my car could be turned off over night and when I start it the next morning it will come back to right where it was. And other times I could get out of my car to grab coffee before work in the morning and get back to my car a minute later and it will bring me back to the main menu for my hard drive instead of the folder I was last in.
I have this same problem. It drives me crazy because it makes no sense. I have come back after a weekend and it pops right back to were it was but I have also had it "forget" were it was in the 30 seconds it took me pick up a DVD at Redbox. There seem to be no rhyme or reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
robrbn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
I have this same problem. It drives me crazy because it makes no sense. I have come back after a weekend and it pops right back to were it was but I have also had it "forget" were it was in the 30 seconds it took me pick up a DVD at Redbox. There seem to be no rhyme or reason.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. But yeah it's really annoying - like you said sometimes it's only a minute and it will completely forget where it was. The funny part is that then when I go through my folders to get back to where I was it like already highlights which folder I was in as I work my way back. So if it remembers which folder the song is in that I'm listening to as I go to get back then why the hell doesn't it just bring me back there from the start.
Appreciate 0