E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #485
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

No, that is not correct either. They are the same as they have been in the past, there is a radio/multimedia part of the unit and there is a "navigation" (android/WinCE) part of the unit, they operate independently.

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-23-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #486
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335
No, that's not how it is, read the android thread on e46fanatics.
How are you gonna tell me that's not how it works when I have the product?

Trust me that's how it works. Only difference is when you press the Navia
      01-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #487
jeffb335
Rep

I think you misunderstand what I am saying........

There is radio/multimedia harware.....its pretty standard radio/cd player stuff, radio/CD/DVD/Ipod/etc... When you press the nav button you get switched over to the other set of hardware which is either a basic WinCE system OR an android system. There is a third piece of hardware that is a controler that sits between them and dictates which systems audio and video gets sent out for any given situation. The system is essentially split with one set of hardware running one side of the unit and a separate set of hardware running the other.

This is a bit of an oversimplification as there are some other modules involved but it should get the point across.

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-23-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #488
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
I think you misunderstand what I am saying........

There is radio/multimedia harware.....its pretty standard radio/cd player stuff, radio/CD/DVD/Ipod/etc... When you press the nav button you get switched over to the other set of hardware which is either a basic WinCE system OR an android system. There is a third piece of hardware that is a controler that sits between them and dictates which systems audio and video gets sent out for any given situation. The system is essentially split with one set of hardware running one side of the unit and a separate set of hardware running the other.

This is a bit of an oversimplification as there are some other modules involved but it should get the point across.

So you are saying the WinCE version has 1 CPU and the Android version has 2 SEPERATE CPU to run both WinCE AND Android?

C'mon man, think of what you are saying. Everything else, music, usb connection, bluetooth, DVD, they are all the same and runs under WinCE.

Only Difference is when you press NAVIGATION button, Android models will load up android OS, the WinCE will run WinCE navigation that you have setup

Source from Dynavin Solutions Website
Quote:
1: What is the difference between Android and WinCE?
Most Dynavin units use WinCE to run the navigation program but on E46 and E39 units there is an option to get android instead. This change in hardware makes for a VERY different type of unit but there is much confusion and misunderstanding about what exactly Android means to a car head unit.

The Dynavin is a dual system, meaning there is a “radio board” and a “GPS board.”

The radio board contains the Radio, DVD/CD, ipod, USB, SD, Bluetooth, Aux in, etc… these functions are identical on both the Android and Windows units,

Then there is the GPS board….On windows units WinCE is used in the background to run the navigation software program.
On Android units it is an android board so it can run navigation, but also apps, browsers, email, etc… but must have access to the internet to do so.

I cannot stress this enough, the android versions are intended to be tethered to a cell phone through an infrastructure wifi hotspot, if you do not intend to do this you are wasting your time with an android unit and would be better off with a windows unit. With the added flexibility of android comes the added possibility of issues, issues with android, issues with apps, issues with connectivity. In general these units work great but they are more complex and require a level of technical ability and knowledge to get the most out of them. If you are willing to spend the time to read, learn, dial everything in, and update things regularly, android will be a lot of fun for you, if you just want to “Set it and forget it”, get a windows unit.
      01-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #489
jeffb335
Rep

No, thats not what Im saying....There is radio hardware, its not really running an OS exactly.....its more like your DVD player or similar device. This hardware is the same on both units.

And there is "navigation" hardware. There are WinCE versions of this hardware and there are Android versions of this hardware. They are not the same and are not interchangeable.

I think you are confused because you think WinCE is running the radio side of the unit....it isnt, it is ONLY used to run the nav program, and in fact once it is set up you wont even see it, you will only see the nav.

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-24-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #490
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

So let me say it again.

EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME UNTIL YOU PRESS THE NAVIGATION BUTTON.

End of discussion
      01-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #491
jeffb335
Rep

Correct, and who do you suppose wrote that quote you have there....

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-23-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #492
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Correct, and who do you suppose wrote that quote you have there....
lol....I was going to say you are debating the man who wrote the faq...dig around e46fanatics website and you will note the level of knowledge jeff has.

Thanks Jeff for coming to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #493
jeffb335
Rep

Haha, I'm glad somebody caught on!

But I'm here as a regular forum member and a E92 owner, not a sponsor yet, so I can't, and won't, do business here (so don't ask). But I figured there was nothing wrong with providing accurate information.

Last edited by jeffb335; 01-23-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #494
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Haha, I'm glad somebody caught on!

But I'm here as a regular forum member and a E92 owner, not a sponsor yet, so I can't, and won't, do business here (so don't ask). But I figured there was nothing wrong with providing accurate information.
glad you came over. I am sure many will benefit from your expertise with the dynavin units.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #495
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

has anyone bought and installed an eBay backup camera successfully? Does it actually fit properly and how is the light output on the license plate?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #496
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnet2dboi View Post
So let me say it again.

EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME UNTIL YOU PRESS THE NAVIGATION BUTTON.
Nobody's arguing with that.

The issue here is your previous claim that the "Android" Dynavin unit actually runs both WinCE and Android. This is incorrect.

You probably assumed that "until you press the Navi button" the unit runs WinCE (since everything looks the same as it does on "WinCE" version on the unit). It reality the non-navi parts of either unit have no independent OS at all. They are implemented "directly in hardware", so to say. This hardware is exactly the same in "Android" version of the unit as it was in "WinCE" version, which is why everything looks the same.

This split-brained nature of Dynavin unit, in my opinion, is a major negative point about it. Make it an atomic Android device - and it will begin to make sense.

Last edited by AndreyT; 02-28-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #497
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
has anyone bought and installed an eBay backup camera successfully? Does it actually fit properly and how is the light output on the license plate?
I have installed into my Dyanvin WINCE. Works great! I paid about $30 on ebay and followed advice regarding backup cams in the forum.

I chose to use the camera with a wireless transmit kit from ebay as opposed to going wired or even risking the cameras sold on ebay as "wireless". http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-ACA30...0537498&sr=8-7. I paid $28 including shipping - it's much more now.

It works great when everyhting is wired as described in the following post (as opposed to mfg instructions). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2#post11016112

Pics of the camera and nice installation instructions are somewhere, i just can't find the post at this moment, so give it a few minute search and you'll find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #498
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
I have installed into my Dyanvin WINCE. Works great! I paid about $30 on ebay and followed advice regarding backup cams in the forum.

I chose to use the camera with a wireless transmit kit from ebay as opposed to going wired or even risking the cameras sold on ebay as "wireless". http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-ACA30...0537498&sr=8-7. I paid $28 including shipping - it's much more now.

It works great when everyhting is wired as described in the following post (as opposed to mfg instructions). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2#post11016112

Pics of the camera and nice installation instructions are somewhere, i just can't find the post at this moment, so give it a few minute search and you'll find it.

thanks i just ordered a wireless transmitter for $28 + $5 shipping...definately seems worth it not to have to run all those wires.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #499
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

I installed my dynavin and have no use for the heated seat relocation trim...anyone interested? It's matte black comes with the storage bin and lid. Shoot me an offer
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #500
chinaa108
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport e90

Hi, i am new to dynavin d99 winCe e9x. I have sygic maps that came with the unit however i want to know if i can use my iPhone sygic maps and replace the maps on the sd card on the unit. Is this possible?
Please help!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #501
chinaa108
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport e90

Hi, i am new to dynavin d99 winCe e9x. I have sygic maps that came with the unit however i want to know if i can use my iPhone sygic maps and replace the maps on the sd card on the unit. Is this possible?

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #502
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Dynavin d95
When i am watching videos on an sd card or watching videos on the USB function with SD cards once i choose my video, i have no way of going back to select another video or folder with videos.

I have to eject my SD card and the put it back in so the Menu pops up again to select a new file. Is there anyway to change the video thats playing other than hitting the forward or back buttons on the head unit.
      03-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #503
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3Series View Post
Dynavin d95
When i am watching videos on an sd card or watching videos on the USB function with SD cards once i choose my video, i have no way of going back to select another video or folder with videos.

I have to eject my SD card and the put it back in so the Menu pops up again to select a new file. Is there anyway to change the video thats playing other than hitting the forward or back buttons on the head unit.
Did you try tapping on the screen? Usually a menu will appear on the bottom of the screen with buttons to go back or to the directory.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #504
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Did you try tapping on the screen? Usually a menu will appear on the bottom of the screen with buttons to go back or to the directory.
yes i have tried taping on the screen, and get no options to go back to the directory.....just forwards, backwards, and options to fast forward etc or go back to main screen
      03-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #505
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

anyone knows why my dynavin d99 android would not start when i start the engine??, i need to push the butte on the upper left. thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #506
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw View Post
anyone knows why my dynavin d99 android would not start when i start the engine??, i need to push the butte on the upper left. thank you.
you might have it hooked up to the wrong power source I'm guessing. Do you power the unit off every time you turn off the car as well? As long as you wired it to a constant 12v source in the fuse box, it should save your presets and turn on automatically when you start the engine.
Appreciate 0