E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help with my car specs

10-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
cpu2008
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 2011 efficient dynami

Help with my car specs

Hello everyone
I am new here and have a few questions but the most important one is about the specs of my car so that I can then decide whether I need upgrades or not.

I have a bmw 320d efficient dynamic version 2011. black 4 doors.

One of the things I'd like to change on this car is the headlight.
It does have rings that light up but not sure whether those are classified as angel lights. Can someone tell me more about the type of headlight on this model? and also what headlights can it be upgraded to?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

Sounds like you have halogen headlights with angel eyes, what you after better light output or whiter angel eyes?
You can either retrofit xenon headlights but this is exepensive and time consuming or you can upgrade your current bulbs in your headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
cpu2008
Rep

I would like to go for a an economical version but if there's a noticeable difference between the halogen and xenon output then I might consider the expensive way.

What I am ideally looking for is:

Headlights that give me a better road view(my current one are pretty good) than my current one.
So you're saying that I already have angel eyes? Are there different types of angel eyes?(halogen,xenon etc?)
I have seen angel eyes with different colour (red,blue etc.) and would like to have one like that. are they legal in the uk ?

It would be nice if you can post some links about where to buy them as I want to know of reliable sources. I am from manchester.
THank you
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

red/blue lights on the front of the car in the UK are illegal. the ones you see should be off road use only.

Xenon's dont allow you to see further, what they do though, is fill the visible area with more light, it is much more intense.

Upgraded halogen bulbs will also do this, but to a lesser effect, for the sake of 15£ you can swap out your bulbs for a set of Osram Nightbreaker (available on ebay) i have these fitted to my Halogen laps, and am happy with the output (having previously had Xenon's in my old car)

retrofitting Xenon's is expensive, because to do it properly you require the full headlight units(complete), wiring, a new lighting module, sensors for the front and rear suspension (for auto leveling), headlight washers(associated wiring and pump and washer bottle)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
cpu2008
Rep

Thank you so much for the explanation, really appreciated.

I have tried the osram xenon on my previous car, it wasn't a bmw but a corsa and didn't notice the difference but I might be wrong as the car was small and I have reason to believe that bmw output power will be higher than a corsa right?

You said that you're happy with the output so you've tried both xenon and osram nightbreaker, aren't osram nightbreaker classified as xenon? They claim to have stronger light and a beam that goes further.

How much difference did you notice between your old car xenon lights and the osram nightbreaker?

In regard to the angel eyes, red/blue can't be used; my question is that these light are being applied to the ring only which doesn't actually do anything to the sorrounding(the light from the angel eyes ring isn't strong enough to cause any problem, is it still illegal to use these lights even if applied to the ring?)
if is a matter of colour, how about having greenish angel eyes rings?
Appreciate 0