E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Argentum - my 335xi build thread

06-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi (e92)

Argentum - my 335xi build thread

Figured I'd make a build thread if those are still things, for the people and also for a to do list for myself, lol.

Base car is a 2009 335xi I purchased at auction on Cars n Bids from New York, in feb. Titan silver exterior, black interior, ZF 6 speed auto. 2 owners before me, super clean car.

Stock:

Had 88k at purchase. Flew out to New York to drive it back all the way to Colorado.

Completed Mods:
  • JB4 Piggyback (will be replaced eventually)
  • BMS Dual Cone Intakes
  • BimmerTech MMIPrime for CIC
  • Avant Garde M310s (18x9, will also be replaced eventually)
  • NGK one step colder plugs
  • Eldor coils
  • Smoked sequential turn signals
  • Dry Carbon-esque trim wrap
  • BMS Two Side Catch Can Kit

Purchased Mods:
  • KW V1's
  • ECS Tuning Stud Conversion Kit
  • Comfort Access Retrofit
  • 1M style front bumper
  • Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Cap
  • 10mm spacers

Definitive Mods:
  • Charge Pipe with turbosmart bfv
  • Upgraded Inlets + Outlets
  • Stepped Intercooler
  • e85 compatible lpfp
  • High Flow or Catless downpipes
  • Some form of catback valved exhaust
  • LCI Taillights
  • Rear View Camera
  • Sunroof Delete w slicktop black headliner
  • F8x M4 seats (undecided on stock or comp)

Speculative Mods:
  • Pure Turbos
  • HPFP Overdrive
  • Paint/Wrap the car the orange from NFS (would have to rename the car)
  • LSD
  • M3 rear suspension conversion
  • TE-37s in Graphite with an orange sticker
  • Undecided BBK
  • Front Camera
  • Radar Cruise (super hard to find the radar module)
  • 335is DCT swap (if/when my ZF blows)
  • Carbon Fiber Strut Brace
  • Speaker Upgrades
  • M3 fenders + side skirts (if getting paint)
  • msport rear bumper
  • diffuser
  • carbon lip
  • carbon trunk lid
  • carbon roof (if i ever get the balls to do it)

Fully Custom Mods:
  • Heavily customized headlights
  • Digital display
  • Active blind spot detection
  • Custom HUD
  • Magsafe + wireless charge car phone mount (why isnt this made yet?)

I do a lot of custom microelectronics on the side (haven't touched automotive, mainly keyboards and headphones), and the headlights/digital dashes on the market for e9x are absolute trash, so I'll be doing it myself. Will probably sell kits whenever I get to doing them.

Planning on doing pre lci headlights with custom sequential LCI style turn signals, fully blacked out on the inside, custom audi-esque animations for the halo DRLs, and a full projector overhaul. Probably wont be selling any of these as they will be an absolutely massive timesink, but that's not a hard no. Will do a nice writeup though.

Digital dash will be a high refresh OLED (will be $$$$) ran off some ARM SOC unless I want to make a fully custom I/O solution. Will have (hopefully) a pretty easy library to implement your own custom skins instead of charging 200-500 per skin :/. After that's made I can likely implement LCD kits for a fraction of the cost. Or maybe I'll do it the other way around. Depends on how my wallet is doing at the time.

Also considering doing an HD OLED CIC display. If I ever feel the need it shouldn't be *that* hard.

Probably missing a ton of ideas that I'll fill in eventually. I'll keep the thread updated, adding photos as I do exterior mods, or writeups for complex ones.

Anyways, that's Argentum.

(send me new names for when the car is orange)

Last edited by mcp; 06-15-2021 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: finished some mods
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just did a carbon trim wrap, which took way longer than I remember doing on my 328. Since my 335 is an idrive car, and everybody hates soft touch, I decided to sand and strip all the soft touch rubber coating off of the AC, radio, and shifter trims. I then wrapped the AC and radio trims, giving the interior trim more of a T look than the normal bog standard carbon trim. I painted the shifter trim duplicolor trim black.

It didn't turn out perfect, as I am not a professional wrapper, but it's definitely passable and looks great (untill you check my corner joins... whoops).

I used 3M architecture vinyl, in matte black carbon. As of right now, I would NOT recommend going with architecture vinyl and sticking with automotive. The glue is much stickier, but as a tradeoff the vinyl is MUCH thicker and much harder to smooth around curves than automotive vinyl. I bought a 5ft x 5ft sheet, and they sent me a 5ft x 6ft sheet so I had more than enough.

Will post photos when I get my CAS back from getting comfort access keys programmed.

Speaking of, parts are rolling in for a comfort access retrofit. I'm waiting on handles, keys, and the main harness. Will list and recommend or not recommend vendors once I receive products and install it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also installed the BMS double sided catch can kit. Quality of the parts for the most part is great. Vacuum side was quite easy to install other than a tricky C ring clamp thing. Turbo side I had some issues with, but that was mainly due to issues with the order things popped up in the search engine.

Googling the instructions, their V1 kit pops up first, and there are barely any markings differentiating it from the V2 kit. The difference is the V1 uses just the stock flapper with a new long hose going to the inlet. V2 uses the full stock tube with an adapter. Took me about an hour to figure out why the hose was so short. Also, that flapper tube/hose is just a bitch to work with. Hopefully I never have to take it off again.
Appreciate 0