E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Christmas Basket - JLW3

11-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Christmas Basket - JLW3

Hey guys

I am going to be purchasing the following as a bday gift for my father. We have a buddy that can install for a few beers and I want to make sure we have the necessary items. I found a website with some solid cyber Monday deals. Do I need to order anything else?

Much appreciated!

JL Audio 10W3: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10W3v3-2.html

Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ifier-Kit.html

Box: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...re-10SQTC.html
      11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 328i w/ XDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
thats going to sound sweet. I had two JL 12w3 and they about ripped my old car apart. now im giving one of the 12s to my bro and just purchased a JL amp from sonicelectronix for 115. so pretty much the same setup just in a 12. what you may need is an amp wiring kit and a capacitor couldnt hurt
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome. Thanks dude!

Would an 8w3 sound that much off than the 10?
      11-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

one W3... two W3's... bah you guys are pansies. I have 3x 10W6's in my e36. ... wish there was a way to do the same in the e90, the stock Logic 7 stereo had OK imaging good SQ system, but not SPL which is really what I want in the car. SQ is for home, SPL for car in my opinion.

In either case, to the OP... you will also need your wiring/cables. Power, ground, remote, wires from amp to subwoofer, and depending on where you'll be getting your signal from, either RCAS from your aftermarket headunit, or the correct tap and filter to take from one of your other speakers. Then you should be good to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Does this buddy who's installing for a few beers have experience with BMW electrical and audio systems? If not, he could be in for more of a headache than he bargained for. Make sure he knows what he's doing before he starts cutting wires.

Not trying to be a dick but I've seen this happen too many times to think it won't happen again. Somebody who's familiar with installing in Hondas, Toyotas and Fords thinks all cars are the same and ends up in over their head when looking at a more complex electrical system like the one in these cars. Study up before you start.
      11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
deadbeat son
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Does this buddy who's installing for a few beers have experience with BMW electrical and audio systems? If not, he could be in for more of a headache than he bargained for. Make sure he knows what he's doing before he starts cutting wires.

Not trying to be a dick but I've seen this happen too many times to think it won't happen again. Somebody who's familiar with installing in Hondas, Toyotas and Fords thinks all cars are the same and ends up in over their head when looking at a more complex electrical system like the one in these cars. Study up before you start.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post

Thanks for the heads up!

It's going in my father's E46 M3

He's done several BMW installs and is confident this should be no different.