E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Whats cheaper? extended maintenance or pay as you go?

10-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Whats cheaper? extended maintenance or pay as you go?

Last night I purchased a CPO 2008 e92 335i coupe with 42k miles. The maintenance warranty expires in August 2012. Would it be cheaper to buy a extended maintenance plan or just pay as I go? My plan is to keep the car for 3 years minimum. I was told that if I performed any maintenance myself or has an independent shop do any work, the warranty would be voided.

IF that is true, I would be inclined to get the work done through BMW.

Sorry for the newb question.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

statistically speaking: pay as you go is cheaper on average. Otherwise, how can the companies selling you warranty make money?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
statistically speaking: pay as you go is cheaper on average. Otherwise, how can the companies selling you warranty make money?
Interesting. I was quoted $2295 for extended maintenance (it was $2599 w/out discount). It might have been for 3 years. To sell me, the finance rep said that the 75k maintenance alone cost in the area of $1500. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

You have to evaluate the cost yourself. How many miles do you run per year, how bad are your current brakes, etc.

The maintenance does not include major things like transmission and coolant change. Only oil changes (once per year), brakes, spark plugs (every 50k miles). I can almost guarantee that you are getting ripped off. Spark plugs only cost $70 if you DIY, oil changes like $80 at most, and air filters are not that expensive either. If you can do these things yourself, or find a BMW indy shop that can do it, don't bother with this maintenance plan.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Take that money and put it into an account that you will not touch and keep it for "car repairs"

after owning the car for a few years with minimum problems, take your "old" '08 335 and the cash that is still in the account and put a down payment on a new BMW. enjoy.
      10-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2farsi View Post
Last night I purchased a CPO 2008 e92 335i coupe with 42k miles. The maintenance warranty expires in August 2012. Would it be cheaper to buy a extended maintenance plan or just pay as I go? My plan is to keep the car for 3 years minimum. I was told that if I performed any maintenance myself or has an independent shop do any work, the warranty would be voided.

IF that is true, I would be inclined to get the work done through BMW.

Sorry for the newb question.
The maintenance plan will extend the free maintenance until Aug 2014 and 100k miles. Will you put 58k miles on your car in the next 3 years?

If so, then it may be a good purchase.

That said, you were told wrong. No manufacturer can specify where you get maintenance work done that you pay for. They can require specific things to be done, using fluids and parts that meet certain specs, but they cannot require you to get them done at the dealership.

They can ask for proof that the services were completed, so you'll need to keep good records. If your indy does the "60k service" they'll need to specify what was done and what parts and fluids were used. If you do the service yourself, then you'll need to keep receipts and some sort of records showing what you did when.

Look at your maintenance booklet and see what services you'll expect to get done by Aug 2014 or until your car hits 100k miles (whichever is earliest.) Will you need brakes? Brake fluid flush?

Then ask the dealer specifically what each of those services costs? Remember that the $89.99 oil change special may not include shop fees and tax, so make sure that the costs you get are all inclusive.

Extended maintenance plans are not taxable, nor will you be charged shop fees or tax on any of the included services.

Then, ask yourself these questions:

Do I have a good indy? How about transportation?
Will I do the services myself? Do I have the tools, space and expertise?
Is the dealer more convenient? Will I get a loaner for longer services?

The decision actually revolves around much more than price. You can't take our cars just anywhere and expect to get servicing done right. Even "simple" oil changes aren't simple enough for the local "iffy lube." They won't keep your ride alive, they'll kill it dead.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Mauryk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
It's insurance.

Do you have health insurance? Life? Auto? Home?

This is maintenance insurance. Since the insurers are out to make a buck, on the average you will pay more in premiums than you will collect. However, if you are one of the unfortunate ones who happens to need an unexpected $5,000 repair for an engine or transmission failure, your $2,000 premium will seem like a real bargain.

The real question is what would you do if you suddenly needed $5,000 or so to repair your car? Does it make sense to you to spend $2,000 now to handle that, or do you want to "self insure", save the $2,000 and hope for the best.
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
jkman510
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauryk View Post
It's insurance.

Do you have health insurance? Life? Auto? Home?

This is maintenance insurance. Since the insurers are out to make a buck, on the average you will pay more in premiums than you will collect. However, if you are one of the unfortunate ones who happens to need an unexpected $5,000 repair for an engine or transmission failure, your $2,000 premium will seem like a real bargain.

The real question is what would you do if you suddenly needed $5,000 or so to repair your car? Does it make sense to you to spend $2,000 now to handle that, or do you want to "self insure", save the $2,000 and hope for the best.

I don't know of a single maintence item that would cost 5k. If something breaks (engine or transmission failure), thats falls outside the extended maintnence and would not be covered by this. Extended warranty may be a good idea if you are worried about bigger items failing and is more akin to insurance.

I'd skip the extended maint. Yes the $1500 inspection is there, but you can usually get it done for nearly half that at a competent independant shop. - If you don't have a reliable one near you, then I guess the warranty might be a good idea.

For instance - My dealer said my inspection would be close to $2500 for my e46m3. My local shop charges $1100. Also don't blindly trust the dealers. They sometimes skip certain procedures to save time - like valve adjustments on my m3.

They also are very by the book when it comes to the maint. intervals. Example - I would usually change rotors and pads at the same time for street use, especially since mine are drilled. BMW wouldn't change the rear rotors because they were still 1mm above spec. 1mm...

If you like to wrench on your own car, its even cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Car Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkman720 View Post
I don't know of a single maintence item that would cost 5k. If something breaks (engine or transmission failure), thats falls outside the extended maintnence and would not be covered by this. Extended warranty may be a good idea if you are worried about bigger items failing and is more akin to insurance.

I'd skip the extended maint. Yes the $1500 inspection is there, but you can usually get it done for nearly half that at a competent independant shop. - If you don't have a reliable one near you, then I guess the warranty might be a good idea.

For instance - My dealer said my inspection would be close to $2500 for my e46m3. My local shop charges $1100. Also don't blindly trust the dealers. They sometimes skip certain procedures to save time - like valve adjustments on my m3.

They also are very by the book when it comes to the maint. intervals. Example - I would usually change rotors and pads at the same time for street use, especially since mine are drilled. BMW wouldn't change the rear rotors because they were still 1mm above spec. 1mm...

If you like to wrench on your own car, its even cheaper.

Although it seems like purchasing the extended warranty and then doing maintenance yourself or at an indy shop is an ideal combination, I looked through the extended warranty agreement terms when I purchased mine (can't help that I'm a lawyer) and they specifically require that all maintenance work be done at a bmw dealership. Although this isn't great for us, and choosing to do otherwise is certainly within our power, this would technically be in violation of the extended warranty terms and a dealer could potentially void out your warranty.

Not to make things unnecessarily complicated, but the warranty is also refundable at a prorated rate, meaning if bmw gave you trouble about using another shop for maintenance work, you could choose to terminate whatever portion of your warranty remained and get a refund. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2farsi View Post
To sell me, the finance rep said that the 75k maintenance alone cost in the area of $1500. Is this true?
Run from this guy - there is no 75k maintenance. And the 60k inspection should not be more than $200 at a dealer.

But make sure that your plugs are replaced under maintenance at 45,000 miles before next August as specified in your Service/Warranty manual.

If you know that you will need front and rear brakes (including rotors) during the extended period, then it might be worth it if priced around $1,800, otherwise, self-insure and invest your savings.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Run from this guy - there is no 75k maintenance. And the 60k inspection should not be more than $200 at a dealer.

But make sure that your plugs are replaced under maintenance at 45,000 miles before next August as specified in your Service/Warranty manual.

If you know that you will need front and rear brakes (including rotors) during the extended period, then it might be worth it if priced around $1,800, otherwise, self-insure and invest your savings.

Tom
FYI:

45,000 spark plug changes are for the 335 models only.

with a 328, spark plug interval is 100,000 miiles.
      10-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
2011328xi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom
Here's a good one. We just bought the car new. The finance guy tried hard to sell us the extended service plan. He said the 60k mile service, after our standard service plan was over, would cost us...get this... "about $9,000.00."

Needless to say we didn't buy it. To the OP it's just a money maker for them. My opinion is pay as you go.
Appreciate 0